skinny men

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Jer

Post by Jer » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:31 am

Caught your attention I bet?!

Any skinny guys out there who can't gain weight? That's me. I think it's a combo of stress and metabolism. I tend to lose weight if I don't eat like a champ.

Just wanted to chat about it, cause it's one of my biggest insecurities when I'm in an anxious episode.

*D*

Post by *D* » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:43 pm

jer,
i have been skinny all my life. just in this past year, after i found out how to control my anxiety and panic. did i start to eat better.. and i quit smoking. i can say that stress was a factor in mine...i gained 20 lbs..this summer.. thats ok.. my wife loves my belly. lol... :D

~*schnauzermom*~

Post by ~*schnauzermom*~ » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:20 pm

I am not a guy, but have a male friend who was 6 foot and 130lbs.

What he did was LOTS of protien shakes (Weider weight gainer) in between meals for snacks. He would have 3 of those a day. Mid morn, mid afternoon and for dessert. Check out a health food store, GNC or Vitamin Shoppe; those stores carry protien shakes. Also what my friend did was to lift LOTS of weights. With a year, he was pretty darn buff! Funny when we started lifting weights, I was benchpressing 150lbs, which at THAT time was my weight and leg pressing 500lbs; he could not even bench press 50 lbs or leg press 100lbs! He is not have a pro weightlifter body, but he went up to 170 and looks great! It is possible, do not get discouraged. Keep trying! ;)
"Afterall, everybody only hears what he understands." by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

DanC

Post by DanC » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:41 am

I'm 36. I'm naturally thin. I DON'T gain weight easily. Never have. The BEST way for me to gain weight is to eat up to 5 small to normal sized meals a day, supplement with one or two protein shakes or meal replacement shakes and work out with weights regularly. I mean work out 4 days a week. Don't miss meals. Don't eat garbage food. Keep that stress level low. I regularly weigh in at about 170 to 172. I just went through a divorce and I'm fighting to get my weight above 160 now. When everything was good, I peaked at 195 of solid muscle at about 10% body fat. PERFECT! But on the other hand, I was fanatical about muscle size, working out and gaining weight. I don't really think that's the best thing for everyone. Myself included. At this point I just want to be healthy, look good in a suit, widen my shoulders a bit, have a hard midsection and just feel good. I guess I'm rambling, but if you have any questions you think I could help you with, please ask. I have friends that are giant muscle-heads, and friends that are just into staying in shape and everything in between.

D

Duder142

Post by Duder142 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:52 pm

That's me. I am 5'11 and 150 lbs and am 20 years old. I think that my anxiety, stress, and ibs are the reason I can't gain weight.

MichaelP

Post by MichaelP » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:42 am

I have the same problem...It seems a lot of people eat when they are stressed etc. I think I am the opposite and don’t eat when I'm stressed, my stomach twists and turns and I don’t want to eat. I have to make a conscious effort to eat, I know if I dont I end up feeling worse and it's a vicious cycle.

WhenwillIlearn

Post by WhenwillIlearn » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:31 pm

Oh you lucky guys........
Just wait till they put you on higher doses of SRRI's
or
you reach 50 + ..the weight just seems to pile on,

I am female. I didn't have a problem with my weight.
I was 5ft. 1/2" and weight about 100-103 lbs.
But in my field (ballet) that was too much. They wanted me down to about 90 lbs. I could never get to that. My set point was 100.

But once I got past 50, the lbs came on, and on.
I actually got up too high...160 2 yrs ago, and wound up with a major attack of Menieres which made me stop eating.
Now I have small meals about 5 times a day.
This has helped me lose weight, but I can't get back to the 100 or even 110 I would like to be at.

So, if you are naturally thin, feel good about it.
If you have IBS....I do....then you need to eat the proper diet, and it is hard when you are in such a painful state.

Good luck, and don't feel bad or beat up on yourself if you are thin and still healthy.

Bek
Bek

JeanReg's

Post by JeanReg's » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:00 am

My skinny body is one of those things I'm still insecure about. I'm 5'5, weigh in about 135...and it can be a HUGE downer when I'm having an anxious episode.

There has been sooo much emphasis on getting people too loose weight in the media, they'vecompletely forgot about us men who struggle just as much as the weight loosers do, to put on weight.

I've gone a protein bar diet this the past few weeks. I eat pretty large portions of protein of food, never miss breakfast, have one 30g protein bar a day, snack on nuts and dried fruits, drink lots of water...and friday evening, I had fish and curry for a midnight snack. I'm not gonna weight myself until my last protein bar, but hopefully i'll be up to 137 at the least.

I've got 2 positive reinforcements I use if I'm feeling depressed, and my "thought pattern" wants to use my tiny bod as a downer.

1) Ok, yes you are ____ tall, you weight_____ pounds....are you telling you are going to let your god given body and soul bring you down? There are people out there who would probably sell everything they have to be and look where I'm at

2) One day your metabolism could kick in like a ton of bricks, and you won't be able too enjoy some of the foods you enjoy now. Dig in.

Cheers y'all

JeanRegs

Drifter

Post by Drifter » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:06 pm

I'm 29 male, 5'9 and weigh in at 105 lbs.

I am convinced that anxiety is the root problem. I went to the doc to get every imaginable test done and they give me a clean bill of health. The ol' "just eat more" bit.

I spent 2 months in the rainforest away from all stress and gained at least 10 lbs. As soon as i got back I lost it all. Interestingly enough that when i came back my anxiety came right back up.

Same thing when i went to india. I gained 10 lbs but lost it all as soon as i came back.

So now i am convinced that it is all about the anxiety. It revs up the system and the nervous system. My mind feels like I have my finger in the electrical outlet. State of mind trickles down to affect the body. If the mind is burnt out, so will the body.

I also noticed that when i was in india and peru i could eat anything i wanted - even wheat. But when i come back i seem to have food intolerances which cause my skin to break out like all my pores are irritated. I also get huge backne. It all seems to be triggered and made worse by the anxiety.

I really need to gain weight. I'm really emaciated and look like a POW. Not cool. I should be in my prime.

Holly J

Post by Holly J » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:46 am

I am not a man, BUT i am very skinny and I know that it is my anxiety/depression and IBS causing this. Well, the anxiety caused the IBS so. . I am 5'1 and weigh 92 pounds )-: I am totally insecure about my body. Went to the dr and apparently last yr at this time i was 10 pounds heavier! Its so hard for me to gain weight yet, so easy for me to lose it. . . That being said, I have always dated extremely skinny men. 6'4 at 120 pounds , 6'0 at 110 pounds. . . I just love skinny men and fond it very attractive. . . But most men I feel, love woman with curvy volumptious bodies. . this is a great topic though!
"Come to me, all who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)"

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”