does anyone have a fear of not being near a bathroom?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Charlotte Mae On My Way

Post by Charlotte Mae On My Way » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:10 pm

ohh girl - this is my number 1 fear - mine specific fear is what if I dont make it and someone knows, sees, smells it. I have had accidents and they werent as bad as I thought they would be. when it happens you just go into clean up mode. I alllllwwwayyyyss have a cange of clothes in my car, tp, and immodium. Also I have a tom tom that tells you where gas stations are which is comforting. I have talked to others about - and if you do you will learn everyone, I mean adults, has had some accident before. Whether one way or another. meaning some people laugh so hard they pass gas or pee themselves. When it happens to me - my first instinct is to get home and get home NOW, then I tell myself it could be worse....

Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:39 pm

I didn't realize that many people share the same challenge as I do. In a way I'm relieved yet I still feel like "the only one" when I'm in Church or at the movie theater, or riding in a car or the dentist/doctor as I feel so "apologetic" about having to run to the restroom several times!

I found this forum through a search, as I have been called in for dreaded jury duty. Not sure how to go about it, I already rescheduled it for 6 months away, and there is no getting out of it next time. DH said I should tell the judge that I have a frequent bladder problem and need to go every 15 minutes. Well, that is only true in certain stressful situations. How embarrassing it will be to have to state that publicly, but my DH said not to be apologetic about it, just state it very matter-of-factly. Of course, I can wait it out when I'm home and comfortable but when I'm sitting amongst people, a guest in someone's home or something like that it's pretty painful and the urge is very overwhelming!

I am hoping to be able to send for the program so that I can get over this anxiety, this has plagued me all of my adult life, as I got older I found ways to avoid the situation, such as sitting in an aisle seat or just not going somewhere if I feel like I might be "gassy" or my bladder or intestines are a little off. So my family goes without me to church or Taekwondo and I feel like a big loser at home and my DH doesn't know what to say when people ask where I am.

I would almost welcome anxiety in any form but the part about the urge to go to the bathroom is the worst feeling in the world, I must say.

Sorry this post is kind of all over the place, I read some of the posts in here and nearly cried, especially the one with the wife who made her husband put off a sailing trip - I can see myself doing something like this. We get desperate enough to ruin other people's day, it just doesn't seem fair to those around us!
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

mikedet

Post by mikedet » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:49 am

hey Shifrah. everytime i get called to do jury duty my doctor writes me a note and i send that back to the court house and im relieved of my services.

lastchance

Post by lastchance » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:26 am

hi, i was wondering if i should reply to you on this topic only because i have never used one of these things before such as chat or posts. when i thought about it i could not resist.see reading what you put was like reading something i would say.this problem has affected all areas of my life and with other factors has made me house bound for going on 2 years. i can count on 1 hand how many times i have left my house in the past 2 years due to this problem.it really scares me if i have to drive somewhere because i feel trapped due to the lack of a toilet nereby. in all i just wanterd to let you know you are not and i emphasize not alone on this matter.

Melodie83

Post by Melodie83 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:33 pm

Wow, I am so glad that I stumbled arcross this site. I really did think that I was the only person who felt this way. I have actually completely housebound for the past 7 months because of my fear of not being near a bathroom. This fear/phobia has totally taken over my life.

Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:53 pm

It has been a couple of weeks since my initial post here and while I thought that I might be able to have a handle on the situation since I started the program a couple of days ago, and took the kids to the bank to open up an account, boy was I wrong.

Looking back I believe my diet had a hand in it. You see, I was fine before we left, I made sure to go the bathroom a few times, but it seemed like once we were sitting at the desk for 10 minutes the feelings started to kick in. Fortunately they had a bathroom but not 3 minutes after I return so did the sensation and I was ready to run out of there even though she didn't help us all the way with something else I needed.

Last night I had dairy and this afternoon had some cooked veggies with a lot of fat and seasonings in them, I believe that played a huge factor in the problem. Had I not had that in my system, I think I might have been a lot more relaxed, but who knows? I know the feeling and the anxiety about the feeling tend to play off one another, but I really believe that if I didn't have something irritating in my system I would have been able to handle myself a lot better.
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

JoJo1079

Post by JoJo1079 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:32 am

I agree. Its both the feelings in your stomach and the fear. Some days I am strong enough to just keep saying..you are fine, you will be fine and so what if you are not? However I always listen to my stomach. If I think there is more than a 50% chance that I will have an urgency to go then I will take a different way to work or take my own car somewhere. On the flip side..if I know I ate something bad the night before I get it stuck in my head that I probably will get sick and have an urgency even when I probably wont. I am working on that- yes try to avoid dairy..its a killer.

Lastly I also find that if I am going to be sick I just try to play it off like its a vomitting sick and not the urgency of the bathroom. Its more socially accepted and people cater to you more and dont look at you like you are some headcase :(

Just because something did not work once you can not let it stop you. My trick is to try and do my errands in the am before I eat anything so there is nothing in my system. Same thing with plane rides or big events. If my head knows I did not eat anything that my body relaxes somehow. Crazy I know.

Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:39 am

Thanks Jojo for replying and understanding. I've been looking into EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) for IBS as well. You can google and also look at You Tube for examples on it. It is supposed to help a number of ailments. It's just tapping on certain pressure points along the body 3 times in a row, it literally takes a few minutes and you're done. So I did it this morning and will do it a few times a day.

It would be great to rid myself of this issue so I can work on the anxiety with a little more comfort and no fear or chance of losing control and no place to do it.

Maybe we should start a yahoo group (or maybe there is one already) it would be nice to have a support group over the internet to go to in need.
Shif.

Laura2205

Post by Laura2205 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi Bella! I can relate to everything you've stated, especially "when I get nervous, I get sick, & when I get sick, I get nervous." It's a vicious cycle! Please feel free to contact me if you need someone to talk to who can relate, but most importantly, wants to beat this!!

Reneec27

Post by Reneec27 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:33 am

OK So glad i found this ..this has just started to happen to me after the death of my mom in a car accident.
It is so crazy and unfortunatly my live in boyfirend thinks im nuts now so he can not be my safe person but is the person i mostly go out with.
Im so glad i am not alone that helps more than you know.
I have pretty much read something in everyones posts that i can relate to..its so bizarre..i went from being a normal NOt worrying about a bathroom person to this crazyness
What are the cd's everyone is talking about ..please please email me reneec27@aol.com
I desperatly like everyone else want this to stop.
I have tried Xanax once or twice and i live on immodiums....but i ususlly never have diarehha just the panic and fear and then sometimes just the fear of having to go ( i cant hold ) so even if its not diarehha i panci BIG TIME
SIGHHHHHHH i need help

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”