does anyone have a fear of not being near a bathroom?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Susan Gilbert

Post by Susan Gilbert » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:38 am

pianofighter,

I didn't have the bladder issue but if you focus on getting rid of the anxiety. the panic attacks and physical problems will at least lessen if not disappear. I found that medical doctors did not know what to do for me. When I went to an herbalist, we started healing my intestines. But I used Lucinda's program and read Dr. Helmstetter's book first. These two things helped tremendously. I started sleeping much better and dealing with each day in a more positive way. The herbalist directed me to a course which taught me that each body system is related to each other. We need to address the weakest link and heal that and then the body can heal and be in balance. If you have bladder issues, you might want to try to strengthen your kidneys. I would drink more water (purified if possible), and cranberry juice, eat watermelon, lemon juice, green drinks, raw apple juice, celery and radishes. 100% cranberry juice (be sure there isn't any high fructose corn syrup in it). Drinking soda puts stress on the kidneys by adding more acid waste to the blood. The kidneys are also stressed by a high protein diet, (heavy meat, dairy and egg consumption. The bladder is just a storage organ. Lessen your stress and your bladder can strengthen its muscle tone which will lessen the bladder problems. I hope this is helpful.
Susan

StressFreePlease

Post by StressFreePlease » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:31 am

i too have dealt with this fear for 11 years now. I quit school in 7th grade due to panic attacks and irritable bowels. I feared everything growing up and walking out into the adult world. I was afraid to get a job go almost anywhere ect ect..

Now i have a job i love but it requires me to travel.. driving long distances and occasionally flying. I absolutely dread flying. Not because im afraid the plane will crash but because im terrified of the panic attacks and being a distance away from the bathroom. I envy the people that are so calm and can just close their eyes and nap for the durration of the flight.. I watch each passenger walk to the restroom and i fear that if suddenly my stomach begin to churn and i wouldnt make it because its occupied or there is a line. What will happen? I know these assumptions arent always realistic but i cant keep them out of my head. I try not to eat the night before and the entire day of flying so that nothing will be in me to come out. I take pills to help me calm down and maybe go to sleep. Recently i took a large amount of pills because i couldnt get myself to calm down. and once off the plane i was so fatigued from all the pills i was afraid to fall asleep in fear that i had taken too many. When i fly i try to reserve a seat at the back of the plane closest to the restroom. I suppose its my "Safe place"
If there really were such a place.. I dont know how to deal with this.. I have a flight in a week from now and i am already loosing sleep and experiencing terrible headaches over it. I could give up the traveling and get a normal day job and life that would be much easier but i am afraid that if i did that and the Panic, Anxiety, IBS and everything else subsided then the feeling/ thought that i have failed myself will be much worse and haunt me forever. Im open for suggestions and any insight to my current situation.

Susan Gilbert

Post by Susan Gilbert » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:49 pm

stressfreeplease,

I can appreciate what you are going through. I suggest that you read my entries from before but I will summarize my suggestions here:

The best way to get rid of your panic and anxiety is go through Lucinda's Program of Anxiety, Stress and Anxiety. See home page. While you are waiting for that get the book, What To Say When I Talk To My Self by Dr. Shad Helmstetter ($7.99) They really work!!

For the IBS, I would start with taking a good PROBIOTIC each day. I started with taking 7 each day. I am down to 2 after 4 or 5 yrs. Then I would look at my diet. No soda or caffeine of any kind! See if you are lactose intolerant or have allergies to certain foods. Tests can check this or eliminate foods and see the difference. I use lactaid tablets or lactase enzymes when I don't know what is in the food or when I want to eat something with a dairy product. Exercise is very important, so I would try to do something everyday to help me relax my muscles and my mind. Lucinda' prog. has a great relaxation tape that can be put on an ipod so it can be listened to while traveling.

Sounds like you have overcome some tough things the past 11 yrs. You have come to the right place. People here have experienced many things similar to you and you can get some good support and suggestions. I highly recommend Lucinda's prog. It works! There is a 'safe place' once you have control of your thinking. I hope this helps and sorry if I am repeating myself for others.
Susan

StressFreePlease

Post by StressFreePlease » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:07 pm

Thank you for your response. I do feel like I have overcome a great deal of things in my 11 year journey with Anxiety n Depression. I will look into the book you suggested. I have read several books that have made me feel much better for a week or so then things go back the way they were. I got to admit. I've had the program in my possession long enough to have completed it. Due to my hectic schedule I have not Been able to stay on track and complete it. I. Really want to but there's so much going on for me. I've listened to every session on tape and I've read through and practiced several of the sessions. I just have a hard time keeping a good pace and making progression. I need to get it done. I am already a believer in this program and that drives me to want to complete it even more. I may just need to take this where ever I go

Susan Gilbert

Post by Susan Gilbert » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:37 pm

stressfreeplease,

I found that it helped me listen to the CD's everyday at least once. I would listen to them in the morn when I exercised. However, the self-talk and positive thinking are very important parts. It might help to go through the lesson on positive thinking again. The book I suggested helped me understand what my thinking was doing to life but it also suggests what to do to change it. I made my own self-talk tapes but now Dr. Helmstetter has a library of them that he sells. He has a website:www.shadhelmstetter.com. Also, you can get a mentor to go through Lucinda's prog. with you. The mentor calls you once a week which helps you stay on task. However, it is expensive but worth it. I can help you set goals, if you are interested in learning a few strategies to accomplish what you want. Just let me know. It will come together for you. I would keep at it. I would set my goal to redo the positive/negative thinking lesson by the time I go on my trip and get the book. Read the book on the plane. And be sure to do all the homework in the lesson. Focus all week on lessening the negative thinking and increasing the positive. While on the plane I would reread the page on self-esteem. I think it is pg 60 or 62 or I would write a paragraph about what a great person I am and list the wonderful traits I have. I would read that on the plane 2 or 3 times. Use your trip as a motivator to do the program and read the book. Keep at it. It is well worth it in the long run. It changed my life. You've taken the hardest steps.
Susan

Anxskate

Post by Anxskate » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:43 am

I have been living w/ this panic disorder for seven years now. I am a mother of two, my son is 2 my daughter is about to be 1...I fear everything. Going for car rides, going on a plane or simple things like food shopping. All because of the fear of not making it to the bathroom in time. This anxiety consumes me. I have to plan everything and certain situations I just avoid all together. I cannot live like this anymore. I take Xanax and it masks the panic temporarily but when I get into full blown panic it is as if the meds did nothing at all. I talked to a friend who knew someone with a similar situation and she met w/ a neurologist who helped her. Anyone have suggestions or any kind of advice?

Kelly Chow

Post by Kelly Chow » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:24 am

Hi Bella, it has been quite some time since you have updated on this thread. If you have some time please provide how you have progressed over the years.

For anyone who is afraid of leaving the house or anywhere familiar where you know you have access to a washroom, do not lose hope as there is help.

The first step that you should embark on, is to modify your diet to a diet that is friendly to your digestive system and that would prevent your gut from being distended and making you wanting to go immediately.

However if you are already in the extreme state of nervousness, it would be helpful to take this audio program available through an online purchase. It is called IBS Audio Program 100 and it has helped countless numbers of IBS sufferers who have high anxiety/nervousness.

If perhaps you feel that you can overcome this without an audio program, then diet is of course your best bet to first and foremest tackle the problem of an irritable bowel that can result in accidents.
[url]http://www.reversingibs.com[/url]

MARGO 38

Post by MARGO 38 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:35 am

HI BELLA,

I SO HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM!!! I JUST GOT BACK FORM A VACATION TO JAMAICA AND WAS NOT ABLE TO REALLY ENJOY IT BECAUSE OF THIS. NOW I AM HOME AND STILL HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM - AT WORK, THE STORE, ANYWHERE. I JUST GOT BACK FROM A MORNING WALK WITH A FRIEND AND I ASKED IF WE COULD CUT THE WALK SHORT AS I NEEDED TO GO TO THE BATHROOM. SAME AS YOU - I DON'T KNOW WHAT COMES FIRST - THE CHICKEN OR THE EGG...
I GET NERVOUS AND MY STOMACH STARTS OR MY STOMACH STARTS AND THEN I GET ANXIOUS. I THINK I AM NERVOUS TO BEGIN WITH AND THEN THE STOMACH STARTS WHICH TAKES MY ANXIETY TO ANOTHER LEVEL AND THEN TO A FULL ON PANIC ATTACK. I AM DETERMINED TO GET RID OF THIS BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE I CANNOT LIVE LIFE!! I AM SO PISSED! WE ARE NOT ALONE - MY GIRLFRIEND AT WORK SAID HER SISTER HAS THE SAME PROBLEM AND WILL NOT EVEN DRIVE TO HER HOUSE BECAUSE OF THIS FEAR.

I SEE THIS POST IS FROM 2006 AND I HOPE YOU ARE BETTER NOW - IF ANYONE ELSE IS OUT THERE WITH THIS I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU.

koolina

Post by koolina » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:17 pm

What are the tools to overcome this fear?

Susan Gilbert

Post by Susan Gilbert » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:26 pm

Anxskate,

Did you find any suggestions? It is helpful to read past posts. For panic attacks, Lucinda's program is VERY helpful. Panic attacks are because we doubt ourselves. We need to get rid of our negative thinking and replacement with positives. Lucinda's program addresses this. A simple book that reinforces the positive thinking is 'What To Say When You Talk To Yourself' by Shad Helmstetter. (7.99)
Susan

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”