does anyone have a fear of not being near a bathroom?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Laurena

Post by Laurena » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:22 am

Hello to all,
I had this problem about 7 years ago. My anxiety lived in my guts. Every time I got very stressed, I would spend a lot of my day in the bathroom. Needless to say I was tons of fun. I had a new man I was seeing and it was so worrying. I was sure he would think I was un-well. It took courage, but I told him about the anxiety and it's lovely side affects. Men like to protect, and he felt good that I trusted him enough to share my troubles with him. He even started scoping out the nearest bathroom for me when we would go somewhere. It might not sound romantic, but it was certainly real and genuinely loving. Give others a chance to be caring and compassionate. I have not had this problem in years....the program really helped, and so did lots of physical activity and eating healthy. Digestive enzymes, probiotics and avoiding foods you know are "dangerous" can make a big difference too. Oh, and that man and I are still together and we just bought a small motorhome with a bathroom I hardly need to use!
With Care, Laurena :D

laura911

Post by laura911 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:50 pm

wow, im so glad to have found this post. i am seriously teary eyed just knowing im not a "freak" and there is others out there. my stomach is like clock work and as soon as plans are made for that day or an appt is needed for that day, my stomach all of the sudden hurts and i dont want to go. my life with friends and entertainment has drastically been cut short and i stay at home most of the time. i only go out really when i have to or to work. i want help but am afraid of the drive to the therapist, etc. i am in the process of buying a home and will need to drive 2 hours to get the title and keys and am dreading every moment of it, when it should be one of the happiest times in my life! any advice from you would help! thank you!!!

Motivated Meme

Post by Motivated Meme » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:49 am

I do when I know my stomach is not feeling cooperative. I get up several hours earlier in the morning to make sure I'm done with the bathroom. I've had to live with incontincence due to large deliveries. i had two repairs but this does weaken with age. Also after having gallbladder removed i had diarhea for 18 months. It has been very embarassing at times. But I do not let this stop me!! Now if this course c an end my panic attacks I would be pretty good.

Susan Gilbert

Post by Susan Gilbert » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:03 am

I agree with what Laurena stated, "the program really helped, and so did lots of physical activity and eating healthy. Digestive enzymes, probiotics and avoiding foods you know are "dangerous" can make a big difference too."

I had IBS for over 25 yrs. until I found Lucinda's program. It helped me 'think' differently and understand where my anxiety came from and why. I also went to an herbalist who helped me eat healthier.I learned that I am lactose intolerant so I stay away from dairy products. I added fiber, enzymes, probiotic and more raw foods. But what helped me the most was a book that the prog. recommends. "What To Say When You Talk to Your Self by Dr. Shad Helmstetter. I have learned how to use positive self-talk and set goals. It is a part of my everyday life now. My life has changed drastically. No more panic attacks, no more bathroom problems. My marriage is stronger, I am happy with myself and amazing people and experiences have entered my life! God has been my strength but I always remind myself that God has given me a free will so He does not direct my life...I do.He is there for support and strength. If you want more details, I'm here. Believe in yourself.
Susan

laura911

Post by laura911 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:23 pm

thank you so much, honestly. all of this helps but do you have a link to this "program" or book? i cant seem to find it or what it is called or about. thank you!

Susan Gilbert

Post by Susan Gilbert » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:57 am

laura911,

To find Lucinda's Prog. go to www.stresscenter.com Then click on green tab that says GET HELP NOW. Look for Free trial. It will explain how to get the program, try it and pay for it later. You could also look on Amazon.com or EBay for a cheaper program. It is entitled, Attacking Anxiety, Stress and Depression by Lucinda Bassett. The book can be found in any book store or on Amazon.com. Dr. Helmstetter has a website: www.shadhelmstetter.com but it doesn't include the book I mentioned, but does sell the self-help CD's and the goals and self-talk program which I took and am certified in. I love it! I hope this helps.
Susan

laura911

Post by laura911 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:37 am

thank you.........a lot!

Mr. G.

Post by Mr. G. » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:06 am

I have ulcerative colitis and always worry about the location of bathrooms.

Quinroxanne

Post by Quinroxanne » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi Bella!
I have this fear in me too. I'm afraid to travel because it is hard for me to defecate on other toilets than my toilet so it is my fear as well. I like your post, it's so relevant for me.
The #1 information on colon health, colon cleanse, colon disease

pianofighter

Post by pianofighter » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:42 am

I know I am a bit late getting to this topic, but it was nice to know there are others like me. I have the similar scenario of fearing the availability of a restroom wherever I go. However, I have another issue I don't recall seeing anyone else mention.

My anxiety is not limited to diarrhea problems. It also affects bladder urges. It is the same story; I am fine whenever I know a restroom is there for me, but I freak out in any unknown or new situation. Any trips that take me out of my comfort zone (where all the bathrooms are mapped in my mind) results in panic attacks.

Please let me know if anyone else also deals with this problem in addition to the diarrhea. I am a young male in college and I can't deal with all this damage to both my education and social life.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”