does anyone have a fear of not being near a bathroom?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
bella123

Post by bella123 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:30 am

hi everyone, second time on here :) i was wondering if anyone has this fear of being sick (stomach aches and having to run to the bathroom all of a sudden) and being nervous and scared that u cant' find a bathroom or one on time. i mean i obsess about this sooo much, i base my world around it and most of my anxiety is from this. if i feel sick i get nervous, if i get nervous i get sick lol it's a cycle that goes around and around. well if anyone has these fears or anything like this please let me know, so at least i have someone to talk to and know that i'm not the only one. and maybe can even talk about how we all deal with it. thank you everyone for listening:)

VictoriousDnice7

Post by VictoriousDnice7 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:38 am

I do in a way when I am out in public, like at a restaurant I make sure I know that there is a restroom near by. Or at the movies I feel nervous because it's so far away. My biggest issue is that I have emetophobia. So it prevents me from driving and being alone. I started the program this week and I'm doing cd # 2 today.

bella123

Post by bella123 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:41 pm

Hey VictoriousDnice7, thx for the reply, it feels good to know u arne't the only one that feels this way, that's a relief. i just ordered the program but haven't received it yet so i'm just waiting. has the program helped u so far?

VictoriousDnice7

Post by VictoriousDnice7 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:23 am

Hello Bella if you'd like email me at dniceangel7@yahoo.com So far the program has helped relax me and help me understand why I do somethings that I do. I thought I knew ALOT about everything but this has opened up my eyes. I've been putting the program off a bit because of my schedule but you've really got to stick to it. Since you are just receiving yours I don't mind comparing notes and experiences and fears. We can help each other!

bella123

Post by bella123 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:45 am

hey victoriousdnice7:) i wrote u an email just now, oh mine is breathenaked@hotmail.com so it might go to your junk email cuz the name sounds wierd but it's just from a song i liked years ago. anyway cool post u wrote, so if u want we can talk on here or by email, talk to u soon, have a great day :)

Sophia Louise

Post by Sophia Louise » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:38 am

Yes, I have had this problem. It really sucks if you are at a campground. I have had IBS and am scared that I will have diarhea wherever I go and people will know. I have a cottage up north and it only has one bathroom and when other people besides my immediate family are up there. I will panic all night about having to take a morning crap and people will know. I dont know why I do that to myself. Sometimes I barely eat hoping I wont have to go to the bathroom. So yes, I know exactly how that feels. It sounds so stupid as I write this. One time someone told me to give myself an assignment and go to the bathroom outside. People have done it for thousands of years. So I can feel better that no matter what I can go to the bathroom.

bella123

Post by bella123 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:17 am

hey sophia thx for the post:) i was just talking to my friend on the phone before and i was telling him how i think the program is probably going to say something along the facts to not care if u have an accident or something but in reality i think anyone would care and be embarrassed, it's like how do u say hey who cares if i crap myself u know lol is that realistic? but i havent' gotten the program yet, i'll get it tomorrow. i hope it really helps cuz i need it. i'm grateful for all i have in my life but i also want more, more freedom more happiness. i think these posts really help us help one another because you have someone who relates to you and can give you advice and support. how has the program helped u so far?

mandif

Post by mandif » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:23 am

I get scared of passing out. I start thinking to myself "what if I passed out in front of all of these people?" The book "From Panic to Power" talks about being scared that you will lose control in public. Even though my fear is slightly different it is kind of the same in the sense that it is a "what if" kind of thing and "how embarrassing". The book and talking to people with anxiety made me realize this was a normal symptom of anxiety and that alone really helped. Now when I am out and I start feeling like I may pass out I try to remember that it is all in my head.
Mandi

Johnny G

Post by Johnny G » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:41 am

Hi! I had that anxiety a while back but I'm thinking it was a medication I was taking. I had polio when I was 2 2/2 yrs old, in the mid 50's. Lately I have been shaking a lot and some people told me I had Parkinson's. I had a health news letter in the mail talking about Essential Tremors. Went to a neurologist, who said I didn't have Parkinson's but probably have Famial Tremors (Essential Tremors that run in the family), because my brother shakes a lot too. He prescribed Primidone and wanted me to work to 750 mg a day, over a 56 day period. As soon as I started taking it, I got the diarrhea. I ended up taking an anti-diarrheal, which helped for a while but then the diarrhea would sneak up on me when I didn't expect it. Having to get around with crutches and braces I can't run to the bathroom so would have anxiety about not making it which a lot of times I didn't. I also deliver a couple rural paper routes a couple days a week and would be in the car, far away from a bathroom and at times it would strike then. I got so tired of worrying about it that I figured the shaking was easier to cope with than worrying about if I was going to make it to the bathroom. I stopped taking the Primidone and I am only bothered once in a while. I think when I am bothered with it, it is when I am really stressed out. Johnny G in WI

bella123

Post by bella123 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:57 am

hey everyone, it's a relief to see that other people feel or have felt how i feel at times. I finally got the program yesterday, i really like
the relaxation tape i heard it last nite and again during my lunch break today, works very well. today after work i'm going to start the program and am really excited. has anyone taken the pills from the program? i haven't yet, but i will later. oh before i forget i wanted to ask Johnny G about the part in your post when you said at times u didnt' make it. how did u handle that? because that's one of my biggest fears. was just wondering how you coped with it and if you had any advice if it does happen to someone. and Mandif yeh i know the fear between you and i are slightly different but you are right about it being the same with the "what if" thinking and the "how embarrasing" i think the program covers the "what if" thinking but i really hope it helps us all. thank you everyone:)

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”