does anyone have a fear of not being near a bathroom?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Anxskate

Post by Anxskate » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi Susan I have not yet received any type of advice or suggestions I have recently started taking herbal supplement to try to calm my nerves because I would rather not rely on xanax for the rest of my life. I will definately look into the Lucinda program. Thanks for your help

l15a

Post by l15a » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:48 am

Thank God for all of you. It sure helps to know I'm not alone.

SD

Post by SD » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:53 pm

Bella: I totally have this issue!!! I dont know why cause for me im terrified of the what if and make myself sick and panicy. Cant go places, cant enjoy where im at, cant live out side this idea that I might not get there in time or embarrass myself. THe sad thing is I have had this for 5 years now and have NEVER actually had it where I was so sick I was really sick. I just make myself sick with my mind. It totally sucks and is where my anxiety began.

Danielleparis

Post by Danielleparis » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:13 pm

I am so glad there are others like me out there. I have been living with this for about five years now. I thought I was alone. I wasnt sure how to explain it to anybody and I was too embarrassed to try. I didnt think anyone would believe me or understand how awful it is. When I have tried to let it out I feel like people think I should just get over it and let it go. Boy, I wish I could! I feel like I have let five years of my life slip away because of my fear of being somewhere where I cant get to the bathroom. I feel like I let my friends and husband down because I am holding them back from going out and doing things. I have put off having kids because I fear that I wont be able to take them places. It has changed my whole life. I just want to thank you all for sharing your stories and for letting me know there are others and we are not alone.

JoJo1079

Post by JoJo1079 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:05 am

Danielle, You can not let this fear win. I still battle with it here and there but found that being pregnant for the first time last year and not being able to take meds for this helped me. Having kids puts it in perspective for you. I am about to start listening to Lucinda's cd's again bc i never finished last time. I want to do this for me and for my daughter. There are still some things I won't do and I still dread driving in cars with people I don't know well or being in confined places, but I try my best not to let it stop me from stuff I really want to do- like having kids. It really breaks my heart that you have put this off bc of this ridiculous fear we have. None of us are alone here-unfortunately we are all in the same boat.

Danielleparis

Post by Danielleparis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:06 pm

Thanks for the response. I am working to try to improve my life step by step. It is easy to get overwhelmed by this fear though. It affects so much of my life. I am looking to find a new job but there are so many limitations. I cant travel or ride with others or be anywhere I feel confined because of panic attacks. It really sucks because there are so many cool jobs I would love to apply for but cant. The pay for the jobs I can apply for isnt great either. Anyways, I wanted to say thank you for your response. I appreciate knowing that others are beating this and that I am not alone. Thank you!!!

Susan Gilbert

Post by Susan Gilbert » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:37 pm

Danielleparis and others,

It isn't easy to overcome these fears but you can do it. It is possible! This is a great forum to help you stay motivated. Try to do something everyday to build your self-confidence. Lucinda's Program is great! We are what we think. I have turned my thinking, health and well being around. Each day I am so grateful and amazed at the positive and wonderful things that are now in my life. It started with going through Lucinda's program twice and reading the book, What To Say When You Talk To Your Self by Dr. Shad Helmstetter. Each person has to find what works for them. The key is building your self-confidence-telling and believing that you ARE a special and gifted person and setting goals. Write down what you want to achieve(a specific job). Write down what obstacles you think will stop you. Then what can you do to overcome those obstacles. Focus on these. Read them each day and compliment yourself for any little step that you take. Small steps add up to big steps. When you know what you want, keep seeing yourself accomplishing it.
Mistakes or set backs are ok. They are learning moments. Keep moving forward. Remember that fear is all in our thinking. You can overcome it. Changing our thinking does open up wonderful doors and can bring peace into your life. It has for me.
Susan

HMC

Post by HMC » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:35 am

Hi, I am so glad that I am not alone. I have IBS and I have had major panic attacks from this for about 9 years now. I barely can drive to work without talking to someone on the phone to distract me. I only can ride in vehicles with my significant other, because of my fear of having an accident. I go nowhere without knowing where the bathrooms are and how many stolls are in them, just in case. Once I am near a bathroom the feeling sometimes goes away until I leave my comfort zone. I wish there was something to do about it. I have given up so much, food, society, vacations, beverages, and so on. Please let me know if there is help to bring back my life of leisure.

Susan Gilbert

Post by Susan Gilbert » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:13 pm

HMC,

With the IBS, the best place to start is to modify what you eat. Being tested for wheat or dairy allergies is a good next step. Adding fiber, including fruits and vegetables to your diet is another good step. However, finding ways to relax and change the anxious thinking are the key steps. Lucinda has a book, From Panic to Power which is a summary of her program. It gives you strategies to overcome or take control of your anxiety. Trying to think in the present and not anticipate is very helpful. My other posts give other suggestions. You have come to a good place. People here are very supportive and understand what you are going through. We are here to help each other. If you want to make changes in your life, you can do it. What you think is what you become. Be kind to yourself. It does take time but you have the ability and talent to be all that you want to be and overcome your attacks and difficulties.
Susan

JakeTX

Post by JakeTX » Thu May 13, 2010 11:26 am

This is my #1 problem currently. I've had every anxiety symptom in the book over the years but this one has without a doubt been the most restricting. The actual IBS has become much better with my diet but the fear is still strong. On some days the IBS will win and I will actually have diarrhea but for the most part the fear is the most restricting thing. I rarely ride in a car with anyone but my wife and most people are pretty understanding even though most have no idea why. We are planning a trip to Vegas and my immediate fears were being on the plane, and the ride on the shuttle to our hotel from the airport. I'm so tired of this. I'm waiting on my kit to arrive, I look forward to getting started.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”