does anyone have a fear of not being near a bathroom?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Jane Austin

Post by Jane Austin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:58 am

It's funny but my IBS is food triggered like yoyoyoMo,nica's but because of my OCD of fear of germs I have problems using public toilets. So, eating out is terrible for me I avoid it...As for Ker - that is terrible that your people degrade you by giving you those nicknames. You are valuable and precious. We have problems along the same lines but please don't let people make you feel bad about it. :(

Annamary

Post by Annamary » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:32 pm

Hi Guys!

It is simply amazing to see people being open and honest about this "bathroom problem." I'm sure, like me, we all thought we were the only ones on the planet who dealt with this. I had bowel problems for many years and then finally had to have a bowel resection about 3 years ago. No, I didn't need a "bag" but removing so much intestine left me with chronic diarrhea. I just don't have enough intestine left to process food normally. Like you folks, my whole life suddenly revolved around being near a bathroom - preferably one that wasn't near other people. How embarrassing!! And, yes, it affects travel plans, eating out, social life, work, energy levels, nutritional status, etc. I wonder who could really understand me or put up with me and my "problem"?!! It makes me want to hide even more. I've tried Questran, Immodium, and other meds without much success. Can anyone relate to this? Let me know. I feel it's almost hopeless since the problem was surgically induced...

AnnaMary

darren

Post by darren » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:06 am

this is my most pressing issue with anxiety. i can handle the other physical symptoms but this
fear of embarrassment over bathroom issues is difficult.
i am mostly affected during meetings, traveling and social events. the program is helping , especially the relaxation and positive self talk
talking with others about this sensitive issue is reaaly helpful

better4it

Post by better4it » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:30 pm

Originally posted by darren:
this is my most pressing issue with anxiety. i can handle the other physical symptoms but this
fear of embarrassment over bathroom issues is difficult.
i am mostly affected during meetings, traveling and social events. the program is helping , especially the relaxation and positive self talk
talking with others about this sensitive issue is reaaly helpful
darren and others. I experience sporadic bouts with ibs. My father has for many years. Never knew why though. I will say that drinking coke or eating chocaolate is definately a no no for me esp after dinner. May as well stay on the porcelain goddess till I'm done cause it will happen!!! sorry so descriptive but it is what it is. ANXIETY and STIMULANTS THAT CAUSE ANXIETY!!!KJK

bella123

Post by bella123 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Hi everyone :) I can't believe there have been 43 replies and 2100 views since I posted this on here almost a year ago. I just want to say I am so proud of everyone coming together and just talking about this and sharing their stories. When I first posted this up I felt like I was the only one in the world that thought like me. And it comforts me and i'm sure you as well to know that hey we are not the only one who has this problem or who think this way. There are others in this world like us, we are not alone and sometimes that helps. You would be suprised at how many people u are around everday whether at work or out somewhere that have the same problem as us. Just this week at work I ended up telling a coworker about my ibs and she's like oh man me too, see what I mean lol. It's wierd but made me feel better. Not that anyone is suffering, i don't want anyone to suffer, i just meant that you have people to relate to, that understand you, that understand y sometimes ur sad, or pissed off, or frustrated because of how ibs and anxiety affects our lives on a daily basis. Well I wanted to say to everyone who viewed this post or responded, THANK YOU. I believe that us talking on here helps us emotionally, it comforts us and helps one another. So thank you everyone for your responses, I'm so proud of ourselves:) God bless.

Illissa

Post by Illissa » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:57 am

Hi Everyone! My name is Illissa. I am 32 years old, recently married and live in Sunrise, Fl. I am currently between jobs. I used to teach, got stressed out and sick all the time. I was working in the inner city schools and it wasnt the kids so much that got to me but the parents. I guess I never realized opposite discrimination. Anyway, after that I worked for an office since I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis at the age of 21. I also have IBD. Because of it, I have CONSTANT fear of not MAKING IT TO A BATHROOM. I thought I would play it safe and work in an office. I quickly realized that this wasnt where I saw myself being ten years from now. I am happiest when I am tutoring kids. I decided that I would go back into teaching. Currently I am enrolled to substitute teach until I can a full time position. Money is tight as I am sure many of you know. Since having IBD, I have stopped going out with friends, avoided certain situations that would make me the sickest and have lost interest in all the things I once thought I enjoyed at least a bit. I am so preoccupied with me that I lose focus on LIFE and REALITY!
AHHH!!!! Maybe I should get that cookbook for IBD. I need to do something. I know most of it is STRESS related. I get upset, and IMMEDIATELY I need to use the bathroom. You can IMAGINE my FEARS about substitute teaching and full time teaching since you CANT LEAVE the classroom to use the bathroom. This is what I KNOW I want to do though! So, I am hoping that this program will help me. I just received it yesterday afternoon and am planning on going over session 1 in a few minutes. It is nice having people here who understand. I feel if I tell other people about my FEARS they would lock me up! :)

WhenwillIlearn

Post by WhenwillIlearn » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:46 pm

llissa,
you are not the only one who fears that.
I have had IBS since I was a young child. It really molded my behavior, and it still does somewhat.
My problem now is that I take heavy duty pain killers for my bladder problems, and they cause constipation, so I rarely have a loose colon attack.
But, when I am anxious, I will hit the bathroom like 4-5 times until there is nothing left.
I don't go very far from home.
I have had a really good GI doctor, who gave me some meds. that used to help.
I don't take them now, unless I am contantly going.
The Imodium, seems to help, but I would rather not take it. It is something you might take.
It is over the counter.

I used to take my meds, (combid..no longer made)
before I would leave the house, Or lomotil, as long as I knew I was covered with the medicine, I did ok. (most times)

My daughter got IBD at age 23. She never had problems like I did, or her brother, who has IBS way worse than me!
It was really a hard adjustment for her, but she has some medicines that she can take if she feels lousy. It is not easy to have it strike so late in life, that it takes quite a while till you can figure out how to deal with it.

The program may help you. If you can relax, and get yourself more calm, less anxious, it will
help.
I hope it will help you.
Bek

Illissa

Post by Illissa » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:44 am

Thanks, Beck!

AMC15

Post by AMC15 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:04 am

OMG as i was reading your post i felt that I could be writing it myself....this issue consumes me a lot of the time!
at times it gets sooo bad i can't even drink water without running to the bathroom.
sometimes i wonder when the medical community is going to come up with something that actually works for IBS and not just something that gives side affects that aren't worse than just running to find a bathroom.

ThePublisher

Post by ThePublisher » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:01 pm

Not having had IBS - BUT having a (quick, close your eyes if you're squeamish) spasmodic throat which makes me gag when I'm anxious (okay, you can open them now)... I've learned to suck on hard candy to keep my throat from going wild.

In your cases, I would suggest you ask your doctor for a consult with a dietician. They can evaluate what you're eating and what sort of supplemental fiber would help you get control. Naturally, part of the issue is anxiety, so keep working on the program at the same time.

Good luck to you all!!!

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”