does anyone have a fear of not being near a bathroom?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
debsasleep

Post by debsasleep » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 pm

My husband and I both have IBS at times and I have to pee often as well. We make a big joke about it, but when we go in a public place, we aren't looking for the fire exits, but looking for the closest bathrooms.

We also carry TP in our van and I have a small purse pack of wet wipes and a small zip lock back with each of us a pair of undies that I carry in the very bottom of my purse.

I have heard that Zelnorm works well for some folks, but I don't want any meds and my husband would rather do without as well.

I also agree, figure out what your triggers are and then plan. If you HAVE to eat something you shouldn't, do it when you know you will be home for a while.

We also laugh about our bathrooms. We have a full bath upstairs and a half bath downstairs. We have talked about moving at times and our very FIRST qualification for any new home is two toilets! If we can't have two toilets, then we aren't leaving this house!

Smiles, DEB

purpleflower

Post by purpleflower » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:13 am

In my family I am known as the "pee." I pee more than anyone I know. I have to though,..if I try to hold it, I actually feel sick to my stomach,...does that ever happen to you or your husband?
"Faith is to believe what we do not see, and the reward of this faith is to see what we believe." --Augustine--

WhenwillIlearn

Post by WhenwillIlearn » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:05 pm

Simple answer: YES.
I have had IBS all my life. I won't go out to eat unless the place is within 10 mins. of my house.
As to peeing: I have chronic uretheral syndrome, or IC. Bathrooms are a number one priority with me.
I will not stay in a hotel with more than 2 people in a room unless there are 2 bathrooms.
Esp. since, both my daughter and son have IBS also.
When we were looking for a house, first was it had to have 2 bathrooms, with the ability to build a 3rd if we had kids.
Bek

joanlee

Post by joanlee » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:04 am

Hi Kimberley,
Have any of you heard of Habba Syndrome? After having these symptoms for 5 years and wondering which came first, the diarrhea or the anxiety, I read on the IBS website about Dr. Habba and the discovery he made. (is that a run-on sentence?). anyway, apparently in some people the gall bladder isn't working well, and the food is dumped into the colon without being mixed with bile. I am taking cholestyramine (brand name Questran), and it has made a HUGE difference. If you have diarrhea after eating, and mostly in the morning, you need to see your doctor about this. I used to have to do the get-up early and go 5 times thing too. Now it happens very rarely, and my symptoms are much reduced. I am still trying to get over the anxiety, but I'm working on it. Just knowing this stuff works takes a lot of the load off. Hope this helps. This disorder sucks.
Joan T
Originally posted by Kimberley:
I CAN TOTALLY RELATE!!!!! I have dealt with this problem since being in high school. It has kept me from presuing any kind of career. I did a 10 month college course which was difficult. I'd wake up 3 hours before school so I could go to the bathroom like 5 times before leaving and hoping that I wouldn't have to go in the middle of class. I would take imodium if it got really bad but then after like 2 days of not going to the bathroom it would be just as bad again. It's not healthy to be constantly taking those kinds of meds. I can't control it at all I get too stressed out about it. Can anyone offer me some help. Who has done this program and have you found it useful, especially with something like this? Thanks

joanlee

Post by joanlee » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:16 am

So many times I've lost count. I have gone from wanting to kill myself (literally) to thinking I'm totally psycho. I still can't figure out if it's all in my head or if it's a medical issue. I had an accident at work 5 years ago that started this whole thing. Totally embarrrassing. I had to run out of the office in wet pants (after rinsing them in the sink) in January (freezing). After that I couldn't drive with anyone in the car. If someone stopped me to talk at work, I would have to walk away. I felt trapped. I couldn't sit for 2 seconds with someone else (in a meeting, etc). It was so debilitating. At first I thought it was anxiety from the incident, but then I had an accident (came out of nowhere) once again on the way to my mother-in-law's funeral. I was not anxious at all at the time, and BLAM, I couldn't get my clothes off fast enough, and had to throw away my underwear, sox, etc. No warning at all. The same thing happened again about 2 years later, when I was getting in the car to go to work. I was all by myself, no social pressure, and couldn't get my pants off quick enough, and had to clean myself up and wash my clothes, and I was late to work. What caused this???? I wasn't even thinking about it. That's what's so confusing. There wasn't any anxiety involved here. That's when I found out about Questran, which has really helped. But still, to this day, every once in a while, I can make myself get diarrhea (especially when I'm shopping, Home Depot seems to trigger it), just by thinking about not being able to get to a bathroom soon enough. I'm so sick to death of this, I could really die. I'm working on it, but I'm still really confused.
Good luck with all this...

Originally posted by bella123:
hey everyone, wow it really is comforting when i read other people's post just to know and feel that i am not the only one in the world like this. I mean i don't wish this on anyone but it's just comforting to know i'm not the only one, u know. well yesterday was a mixed day for me, the whole day i was doing so damn good i went and faced so many fears. then later on i decided to go to Walmart and on my way there oh my gosh i had such an anxiety attack and i was dying to go to the bathroom. As i walked to the store i seriously thought i was gonna crap myself right there in front of everyone and not make it or start going crazy or embarrase myself in front of everyone. it was just a combo of anxiety and having to go #2 heck #1 at that point too lol. by the time i got to the bathroom and went i was fine, i mean my anxiety had lowered and my stomach was better cuz i finally went. and the car ride was like 5 minutes can u believe in 5 minutes my stomach got like that sheesh. before i left my house i couldn't go to the bathroom and then 5 min later i felt so damn uncomfortable i thought i was gonna die. anyway i'm proud of myself because considering everything i did really well. it just got me upset and depressed yesterday afterwards until i fell asleep and this morning i was fine. i'm going to be extra nice and careful with myself i'm not going to puch too much. like today i told myself to take a damn break and just relax do nothing that scares u too much u know cuz sometimes u just wanna be happy and forget everything and sometimes that's all u need. anyway just wanted to share that experience with everyone. Has anyone ever had that feeling of needing to go to the bathroom so badly that you phsyically feel so uncomfortable and ur anxiety gets really bad? cuz that's how i felt yesterday. does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent or deal with that? Thanks to all who have posted and i wish u guys the best :)

*D*

Post by *D* » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:01 am

depends, i meant when will i ever learn... :D
i havent got that much time left. you said. thats no way to talk.. lol and i have had anxiety all my life and i am going on 61.. we will be here till he takes us home..it was good to hear from you again.. hang in there and take care of yourself...gotta go... :D
don

YoyoyoMo,nica

Post by YoyoyoMo,nica » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:11 am

I have to be extremely careful with what I eat *Trigger foods*. I have to time it perfectly too. One time one of two of the stalls in the church bathroom was out of order. In protest I told them I wont be back till that other stall is up and running. I have bad constipation so I have to eat certian to trigger or take certian meds. I have to rearrange MY life VERY often I too carry wet wipes in the car too.

Duder142

Post by Duder142 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:59 pm

haha, it's funny to see all these people with this problem. This is my main problem as well, and I am almost positive it is a result of anxiety. I recently had a 3 week break from school and had no IBS whatsoever. I returned to school and also wake up extremely early and go to the bathroom as many times as possible so that i wont have to leave class.

Ker

Post by Ker » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:45 pm

This makes me feel better already. I have had problems and tests with my stomach for the last five years. After having radiation and chemo for cancer. It damaged my intestines even more. Now they say it's radiatus. I have to plan where the bathrooms are too. At least I got past the fear of using a public restroom. I have found something that helps a bit. I take Aloe Vera Gel pills. It's a gel capsule at the vitamin stores or GNC. My chiropractic told me to do it. It has eased my stomach. I still am called poop butt or pooh for nicknames by close family and friends (nice huh) and if we are late for anything, I get blamed even if I'm not having a bathroom issue. They say or she was in the bathroom again we couldn't leave. Oh well, what can you do. I hope the Aloe Vera Gel caps. work for someone

Lo

Post by Lo » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:20 am

Hi Everyone
This is soo crazy. I had not heard of anyone else also have these "bathroom problems" before today. Trying to date is the worst while dealing with this. I think about the bathroom all day long... it is so strange.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”