Anyone have suggestions

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
jdub

Post by jdub » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:51 am

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions or if anyone has used "The Program" and had good results. Here's me. I have mostly social anxiety that makes me have "tummy problems". Pretty much any time I'm going to be out in public, I feel like a bathroom has to be somewhere in close proximity. The farther I am from one, the more I have to go. Forget ever going out on a boat (which I used to LOVE doing)! Sometimes a close bathroom isn't even settling to me because I'm still nervous about the possibility of exploding in a public bathroom. I went through about 2 weeks (a couple of years ago) where I couldn't leave home...AT ALL! I didn't go to work or anywhere. Then, the doctor put me on Lexapro. I did that for about a year. Then, I got off that. I'm not interested in masking the problem. What I want to know is where this came from and how to make it go away... PERMANENTLY. I don't really have any other problms associated with anxiety other that the "tummy problem". I'm extremely frustrated with this and feel like I can't enjoy anything anymore. I dread everything that I should be looking forward to. I'm not an avoider anymore, because then I let it win. However, I'm sick of it being a struggle to just go out for dinner or go out with friends or whatever. I'm getting married to the most awesome person ever in October and want to be able to enjoy it. Any suggestions or anyone done the program that has had great results?

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:16 am

A lot of people have had good results. Check the Triumph section for posts. I'm on week 9 and my anxiety is at an all time low. I found it real important to do the workbook on a consistent basis to keep the positive thinking reinforced. Keep reading the posts here and you will see that what you're describing in yourself is very common with lots of people here.

jdub

Post by jdub » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:37 am

Thanks Mary. I'm just really hesitant about ordering this program yet. I don't have enough info about how exactly that "30 day" (trial) works yet. Trying to find out first. It is comforting to know that others know exactly what I'm talking about or feeling though.

jugray

Post by jugray » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:57 am

JDub,
Alot of people have stomach issues here. My anxiety produces an overactive gag reflex. Fun huh? I wasn't sure about the program either, did the 30 day trial thing, but once I got started I was hooked. 30 days is just not enough time. I am on week 10 now and actually plan on going through the program again when I finish. There's just so much good information in it and I am not real good at grasping things the first time around.

Kldrn

Post by Kldrn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:40 pm

JDUB,
I understand your hesitation. I don't think I ever would have purchased the program if not for the recommendation from a friend who had great results. I am not one to believe things I see on TV. But I can honestly say this program has changed things tremendously for me! I am on week 10. I am so thankful for all that I have learned and I look back on my journal and can't believe I lived the way I did for so long. (and my "so long" was only about a year- many others have suffered much longer than that!) There really is a way out, and you sound like you have the right beliefs for making this program successful for you. You don't believe you need the medications, you seem cautious and you don't want to "let it win". I highly recommend that you purchase the program, and really follow it exactly the way it says too... the relaxation tape is very important. I didn't believe so at first, but then around week 6 I really started doing it faithfully every night and some mornings if I have time. It really helps to retrain your mind and body to relax. Definitely follow the exercises in the workbook (my friend told me she didn't want me to borrow her CD's because she really wanted me to have the workbooks and my own CD's to listen to at my own pace.) Pay close attention to your diet and caffeine and sugar intake. Along with changing my thoughts, I also changed my diet. I made slow changes, but over 10 weeks they are pretty significant. I can honestly say I feel great. I can recognize what my triggers are, and they go away very quickly. I wish you well and hope you check back in and let us know of your progress...

Still Kickin

Post by Still Kickin » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:28 am

I can relate believe me. the 1st IBS attack in my life was when I was about 4 mos pregnant with my son and he is 14! I have been to the gastroenterologist-whew-more than my GP or Rheumy. Of course the gastro-md-did a colonoscopy after my son was born and removed a couple of polyps -it's too early for me to be spelling! Anyway, that didn't relieve the IBS at all-so I would suffer-the only period I ever had any relief was after he 'finally' gave me Donnatol to take at bedtime. I did have sev yrs. there that I didn't have an attack!!! I went when most people go and was able to sleep through the night!!! A MIRACLE!
But, then I was dx'd with FMS after sev yrs. suffering it's dreaded symptoms and I had to choose between meds for my FMS or IBS! LOL LOL LOL it was because the Rheumy said the Donnatol wouldn't mix with my FM meds. Sadly my bouts of IBS returned and my settled down digestive system got a shock as I tried to control the other-so if you aren't preg and want some relief try the Donnatol-it is prescription tho-it was over the counter back yrs and yrs ago until the manufacturer saw they could make more $ on it-but it is a miracle drug for IBS-it stops the colon contractions-which is what causes the IBS. the colon contracts when you feel stressed etc. Like our brains it doesn't know whether it is in a real stress situation or not-it chooses to empty at the oddest times! I did later on develop diverticulitis-whew again-and that opened a whole new can of kick-you know what-on me. Now I have to keep liquid Donnatol for my middle of the night feeling like I am giving birth to a cow times. the liquid works really fast but doesn't stop the emptying process-it does stop the contractions tho. If I am having one of those attacks I don't care what med doesn't mix-it is worse than childbirth. Going on 3 yrs. ago-I am 52 in May this yr.-the diverticulosis turned into litis-the infection stage-and cause a colon perforation that almost took me straight out of this world-so don't mistake IBS for a silly thing-it can mean your life. A colonoscopy is still the best at dxing colon prob. A CT scan does help but doesn't show everything. I have an ostomy and bag now. I still have IBS! So, I know I am not helping any here-but to say Donnatol is the best thing for IBS attacks! I tried changin my diet over and over til I hated to eat anything-I drank aloe vera water-did all the vitamin regimens-etc. I have read anything I get my hands on about the sub. It is a bad deal to have. I did get relief for a while with Mylanta-don't know why because it isn't for diarrhea!
I'm so sorry you suffer with this-hope I helped.
Always, Deb ^J^
A good thing about having Fibromyalgia is...
it's made "bed head" fashionable!

jdub

Post by jdub » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:24 pm

Thanks to everone for all your responses! Please keep the suggestions and stories coming!

Kim G

Post by Kim G » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:03 pm

HELLO JDUB,
IM JUST STARTING MY 3RD WEEK IN THE PROGRAM & LIKE YOU(AND I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE OUT THERE!!!)I TOO WILL NOT GO ANYWHERE WHERE THERE ISNT A BR. BOATS ARE OFF LIMITS, UNLESS THERE BIG ENOUGH FOR A BR OF COURSE, GOING OUT FOR DINNER WITH FRIENDS IS A NO NO. I CAN GO BUT MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE TO DRIVE AND MEET THEM. I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR 20 YEARS NOW. MY HUSBAND AND I OWN OUR OWN SMALL BUSINESS AND HAVE ARE ABLE TO TRAVEL BUT I WONT BECAUSE OF THE BATHROOM DEAL. I HAVE IN THE PAST YEAR REALIZED HOW SMALL MY WORLD AND CIRCLE OF FRIENDS HAS BECOME WHICH IN TURN HAS DONE THE SAME TO MY HUSBANDS LIFE BECAUSE I REFUSE TO GO WITH FRIENDS. PEOPLE ONLY ASK YOU SO MANY TIMES, THEN THEY I'M SURE ARE HURT OR OFFENDED.
BUT MY POINT TO YOU IS WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOSE! YOU HAVE TO GIVE THIS PROGRAM A TRY THE SAME AS I HAVE. I'M TELLING YOU THIS BECAUSE I DONT WANT YOU OR ANYONE OUT THERE TO LIVE THEIR LIFE THE WAY I HAVE. OR BETTER YET NOT LIVED MY LIFE. I HAVE USED MEDS, THEY HELP BUT AS DR FISCHER SAID IN THE FIRST SESSION THE MEDS PUT YOU IN A COMFORT ZONE FOR AWHILE AND WHEN YOU TAKE AWAY THE MEDS YOU DONT HAVE THE COPING SKILLS THAT THIS PROGRAM IS GOING TO TEACH US TO MAKE IT WORK. IM GOING TO MAKE THIS PROGRAM WORK. AS LUCINDA SAID IN SESSION 2 SHE DOESNT HAVE A PHD BUT SHE HAS BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT JUST AS YOU AND I ARE. IVE BEEN TO M A N Y DRS AND HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF $ LATER I'M STILL IN LOVE WITH THE BATHROOM! I NEED THESE SKILLS AND SO DO YOU. I HAD ONE DR TELL ME THAT HE WAS POSITIVE THAT WHEN I GOT THE URGE TO GO TO THE BR I COULD HOLD IT FOR AN HOUR OR MORE. I WISHED I WOULD HAVE HAD THE NERVE TO ASK HIM TO TAKE A RIDE WITH ME AND FIND OUT. YOU PUT ME IN A CAR WITH MOST ANYONE OTHER THAN MY HUBBY(WHAT A GUY!)AND I HAVE TO TURN AROUND AND HEAD FOR HOME, THE BUSHES, OR ETC. THIS IS MY WORST FEAR.
I FIGURE NOW AT 52 I'VE WAISTED 20 IN FEAR OF NOT FINDING A BATHROOM AND IM TIRED OF IT. IM URGING YOU TO TAKE A CHANCE ON THE PROGRAM AND WALK DOWN THAT ISLE TO A MAN THAT LOVES YOU AND ENJOY YOUR LIFE. IT WILL BE THE BEST WEDDING GIFT YOU CAN GIVE TO YOURSELF AND THAT GUY THAT LOVES YOU! SINCERELY, KIM G.

dkm

Post by dkm » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:45 pm

I know your problem to be terrible and limiting. An old pharmacist told me about an OTC problem called Equalactin. It is hard to find and I have ordered several boxes at a time from CVS pharmacies. It is not expensive. All it does is equalize the water in the intestinal tract. When I feel a bout coming on, I chew 2, 3 or 4 tablets and have managed to dodge the bullet - whether it is too much or too little. I know you have probably have heard a lot of remedies but maybe this will help. Good luck.

dayze

Post by dayze » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:21 pm

Here is one that has helped me through the years,
1. Aloe Vera Jell. it helps the Intestinal cramps, or nausea, or diarrea, or constipation from travel, as well as swelling and bloating of stomach and feet and legs, and the irritable intestines. When I travel abroad, even into the remote rain forests of Guatamala, or in Jamaica I have used this product in my business travels to get rid of parasites, fish poisoning, viruses, bladder and kidney infections, flu viruses. I WILL NOT GET ON A PLANE WITHOUT IT. YOU GET A VIRUS OR PARASITE, YOU ARE DOWN FOR 2 WEEKS IN A HOTEL ROOM AND YOUR TRIP IS 2 WEEKS. YOU HAVE LOST MONEY AND NO MONEY MADE!!!
2. Another thing I have used through the years to stop those screaming intestinal cramping is Vitamin B-1 and the Amino Acid Tryptophane TOGETHER. Stops it immediately. I chew one under the tongue and swallow 3 and in 30 minutes it is over.
3. If I cannot get to those, I get a red onion, slice it and fry it and eat it as fast as I can get it down me, and it stops the intestinal cramping, also helps me sleep better.
4. Also: Ginger root fresh boiled and make a tea, I would use when on travels to stop those cramps that double you over. I used this so often that I was able to tolerate the strong taste of the fresh ginger to the point that I would chew the fresh ginger in my tea, and it would work faster, and I would not wind up in a hospital doubled over.
5. I HAVE USED GINGER ALE AS A SUBSTITUTE ON THE PLANES, in countries where i could not get fresh Ginger...IT WORKS TOO...
6. I also carry a SMALL container of CINNAMON powder in my suitcase. When I feel an attack coming on, I get it out and put 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon in 1/4 glass of water, swizzel it around and gulp it down quickly and rinse my mouth out with more water. In 10 minutes the cramps are gone!!!. I can travel internationally now!!!
P.S. The cinnamon actually works for PMS cramps the same way, gone in 10 minutes, it warms the body...it is an old Indian trick.
I also found that when I worked really hard and was in horrendous pain from rowing 11 1/2 miles behind my young scout (who had never seen the country and wanted to look instead of row), that when my arms locked up and could not move from all the pain of the Lactic Acid in my muscles that had formed from the constant moving of the oars, when even hot water did not work anymore, ONE TEASPOON OF CINNAMON IN THE 1/4 GLASS OF WATER ENDED THE PAIN IN 10 MINUTES, AND MY ARMS WERE NEVER SORE AT ALL. I use it hiking and working in the yard now.
7. Coconut macaroons help my intestinal cramps too.
ALSO Raw grated coconut with Brown sugar has helped me in a pinch. (packaged coconut works just as well)
(THIS ONE ALSO HELPS WITH FISH POISONING DURING RED TIDE) PULLS OUT THE TOXINS INTO THE COCONUT AND HELPS IT PASS ON OUT THROUGH THE STOOL. They use it for that in the Phillipines and will actually save a life or two....

8. ALSO:CHECK OUT CHI-GONG QI-GONG,(pronounced Chee-Gong) TECHNIQUE OF HEALING...
It is the foundation of the original Chinese healing techniques of Acupuncture, Reiki, etc.and more ancient than all of them.
It teaches you how to move energy THROUGH the body and show you HOW TO ELIMINATE THE ..CAUSE.. OF SICKNESS FROM YOUR BODY!!
It helps you eliminate pain and symptoms and DEAL with every illness INCLUDING EMOTIONAL with dramatic and lasting impacts. ANY improvement is better than no improvement!!! It teaches you how to get mind blowing results from REGULAR FOLKS LIKE YOU AND ME. IT IS SUPRISINGLY SIMPLE TO DO.
There is a Qi-Gong master that developed a QUICK METHOD OF TEACHING that you can learn in 2 minutes.
DR. CHUNYI LIN has lectured in many hospitals, and several Universities and wellness centers through the years.
HE CALLS IT THE ...SPRING FOREST QI-GONG
He teaches a more detailed method at a UNIVERSITY here in the states, or you can get the Correspondence course CD's to do at home where you are. THEY GIVE YOU A 6 MONTH GUARANTEE...100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE...
So must be able to back up what they preach!!!
Their 24-Hour number is 1-866-292-1861
or Orders@LearningStrategies.com
they are out of Minnetonka, Minnesota
Their web is <A HREF="http://www.learningStrategies.com/SpringForest" TARGET=_blank>www.learningStrategies.com/SpringForest</A>
You can visit their Office in Minnesota and they will include you in a learning session that the employees do every day at 11:00am with each other. THEY ARE ONLY 20 MINUTES FROM THE MALL OF AMERICA.

Check out these methods...and you might just have SOME changes,.....and after all...a little is better than nothing, but a lot is....well..you know......!!! especially if you are in that much pain!!!

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”