Great Report

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:18 pm

My husband, daughter and I attended a short conference about college planning at the library, in one of the conference rooms.

The thought about being "stuck" in a room full of people made me think that I might have a diarrhea attack, but I just kept practicing the 6 steps for an anxiety attack and things went particularly well. I sat in there for 1 3/4 hours and didn't have to leave for the bathroom, nor did I feel any sudden panicky urges to do so.

We did arrive late and sat in the back which helped. It may have been more of a challenge if we sat in the middle of a row of seats, as when I feel "blocked in" that seems to set the ibs/anxiety wheels in motion.

I feel really great about the progress I'm making - I hope one day to be able to go to a dentist, even with the kids, and not have an ibs & panic attack. That would be a huge wall coming down for me!
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

Gman5256

Post by Gman5256 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:25 am

Hi Shifrah,

That's great. That little flash card can work wonders in helping you to remember things that help you get through. But that was really amazing. You should be very proud of yourself.

Hugs, In His Love,

Gman5256
All for His praise, glory and the joy it gives Him.

Hugs, In His Love >:D<

Gman9259
"He who dwells in the secret place of the most
high shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty"

JimmyG

Post by JimmyG » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:38 am

Hi All:

WOW!!! I thought I was the only one with these problems! I would LOVE to be able to talk a long walk, or go out to dinner with friends with out those crazy fears!!! GOD that would be GREAT!! I don't even have the nerve to go get my hair cut(Pretty bad) I just ordered the cd program....OH How I pray it can help!!!!
Any advise???? One question....I'm always feel fine at home until someone ask's me to go somewhere. the more I get away from home the more the feeling start??? Is it all in my head??? Thank you...And good luck to all of you....I would not wish this on anyone

Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:17 am

Jimmy it really is mostly in the head. There's a very small percent of food you've eaten, but mostly the anxiety kicks it in. Try some practice opportunities where you know you can run to a bathroom if the need arises.
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

Arwen

Post by Arwen » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:48 am

Jimmy,

Hopefully you will get as much out of the first two sessions as I did... even the first one. It was a little tense to listen to them, because they drag out everything and put it right in front of you so you have to acknowledge it, and the speaking style can be a little hectic, but it really, really empowered me and helped me feel confident in leaving home and still feeling safe.

"You are your own safe person."

I plan to go visit a friend this week to watch a movie. This is normally something that I would be a little hesitant to do, maybe try to get her to come visit me instead, but I want to challenge myself.

Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:57 am

I had actually forgotten about this post I made - since then I've been to the dentist and had no anxiety of bathroom urges, which was great, and it was an hour and a half appointment.

Like Arwen said, listen to session 2 and practice those steps. Go to a mall and sit down in the middle, somewhere near a restroom and go over those steps, see if you can overcome that anxiety which will really lesson the urge. Try to recognize if it is a true urge or anxiety-related.
Shif.

JimmyG

Post by JimmyG » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:51 am

I Thank you all so much! You have no idea how nice it is to have some one to talk to about this......Well..I guess maybe you do.
I know it's all in my head....and I tell my self it's all in my head, But it does not help that awfull problem to go away. I can't wait to get the cd's.
Thanks again and God Bless you!!!
I want to be normal

Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:15 am

The best thing you could do Jimmy is not fight it, tell yourself what's happening and allow it to pass. The worst thing to do it fight it and get mad at yourself about it.
Shif.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”