Is this anxiety or IBS?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
sleeplessMom

Post by sleeplessMom » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:24 am

I have noticed that when I go through extremely anxious periods (now and August 2006), I "go" more than usual, sometimes two or three times within my first hour or two of being up. It also seems worse when I have insomnia, sometimes have to go in the middle of the night. For the past 16 years, I realized that I had to go more often then the average person anyway, and I don't notice any bloating, discomfort, or pain. Do you think it is IBS all along since I was a high stress person, or just my body's reaction to acute anxiety? I don't drink alcohol or caffeine, and my diet is higher than average in fiber.

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:46 pm

I'm not a doctor so I can't answer for sure, but based on my experience I would say anxiety is at the root of your problem. I used to have horrible problems with my IBS but once I joined a cbt group and gained the upper hand on my anxieties my IBS literally disappeared and has never come back. I would recommend trying to find a cbt program in your area or try Lucinda's whichg I never went through but is based on cbt principles. If you are really motivated you can do the cbt exercises on your own through books, but you have to be dedicated to doing them if you want to get relief. The book Been There, Done That? DO THIS! by Sam Obitz is the one we used in my cbt group and it is an easy book and outlines the thought countering exercise called the TEA form which is what has been instrumental to my recovery. I hope this helps and I hope you find something that works for you because IBS is really a pain on top of all we have to deal with anyway.

CarolM

Post by CarolM » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:41 am

i know during a very anxious period i started going a lot especially in the am. and like you said even a few times in the am. i had a colonoscopy and was told it was just nerves and after a few months it did settle down and went back to what was normal for me. it just takes time.

Stretch68

Post by Stretch68 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:56 am

I don't know if I agree that IBS is caused by anxiety. I've had IBS for many years, and have learned that through a high fiber diet I could control it. I still have anxiety and depression, I'm new to the program (in session 3), now I'm trying to get rid of the anxiety. Maybe you should consider some of the processed or fast foods you are eating, these foods can cause me to get IBS back quickly. Keep track of what you eat, and check the response your getting from your digestive tract. Maybe some of the things you are eating that you think are high fiber are not. Go to mayoclinic.com and search high fiber foods to be sure of the fiber content in your foods. It really helped me.

eb41

Post by eb41 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:45 am

hello everyone,

can somebody relate to my situation,
i have a flight this weekend and i haven't flown for 12 years, i on my session 3 now but i'm still a little bit anxious about this flight, can someone help me on what to do. what if my technique that i've learned will not work. what will i do, pls help.

stephr77

Post by stephr77 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:21 pm

Hi eb41,
I'm still on session #1, but maybe you can do these things. Take the book and the relaxation tape and the audio session with you. Listen to the audio session on the way to the airport. Listen to the relaxation tape while you are in the airport and again on the plane. Maybe more than once on the flight if you need to. Review your session and your flashcard(s) while you are waiting for the flight as well. Do the self-talk. Most importantly eb41 have faith in yourself. You can do it. I know you're nervous. I know those feelings, believe me, I have them to. But you are a good person and strong and you can do it. And that relaxation tape kicks butt!! :)
Steph

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:27 pm

Stretch I'm not saying anxiety causes IBS, but in my experience it certainly exacerbated it. I think watching your diet is a key component to keeping it under control and I was already doing that when I got my anxiety under control so I am sure they were both important components to my feeling better. I hope your IBS is under control :)

HeatherRDJ

Post by HeatherRDJ » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:54 am

I was diagnosed with IBS years ago and do have some of the symptoms but when I was diagnosed I was also told the other stuff going on was all in my head. And if I have anxiety under control my IBS pretty much goes away and vice versa. So what came first??

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:49 pm

Heather I think that's the age old chicken or the egg question as it applies to IBS. And like that one I really don't know the correct answer, sorry. I just know for me and a few others I have talked to managing their anxiety gave them substantial relief.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”