Flatulence

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
taffy24

Post by taffy24 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:44 pm

Okay, my problem is Flatulence. I know it may sound funny to others but for me it has been causing me problems for 20 years now. It started in high school, when my stomach growled a boy sitting next to me in class thought I had "cut the cheese", he proceeded to tell the others around him and I was so embarassed by the situation I didn't say anything. Soon after that it started. It's like with IBS, you worry about getting an upset stomach and the worrying about it because our thoughts are so strong we will actually get diarrhea. I'm fine when I'm at home, by myself, or with a safe person like my Mom, I'm fine no problems. But, whenever someone is standing behind me or if I'm walking past someone in the hallway or walking past someone's desk, etc., with my anxiety I worry about getting flatulence and of course when I worry about it, it begins to stir up gas and sometimes I can't hold it. It is very embarassing, I don't even like to write about it in my journal so I guess it is something of a victory that I am posting it on the community board. I am so tired of living with this, I never went to College like I had wanted, I don't go out to lunches with coworkers or on dates, etc. because I'm afraid of being embarassed by this. If anyone can give me some advice, something that I can utilize, I'd be much appreciated.

Gale D

Post by Gale D » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Bless your dear little heart, Taffy, that took a lot of courage to admit and you should give yourself a lot of credit. And know that there are I'm sure, thousands and thousands of others with your same problem. First have you tried any of the over the counter remedies such as Gas-x ,Maalox, Pepto Bis Mol, even Beano, the gas preventer? Then you could try the natural route: yogurt, an acidophilus or probiotic supplement. Finally if none of these things help, how about scheduling an appointment with a gastroenterologist to see what he/she would recommend for you. Even though it sounds likely that you have a nervous stomach, if none of the usual remedies work, I think a good Dr. could find a solution to your problem and wouldn't it be great to be able to do the things you want to do again? I hope you will try some of these suggestions and keep trying until you find something that works for you. Good luck,honey and God bless!

Sit-N-Spin

Post by Sit-N-Spin » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:10 pm

Hey Taf,

Some good advice above,ginger root may help or cabbage juice and the simplest of all, change in diet or eliminate things that may cause gas.

Searching for some peace

Post by Searching for some peace » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:01 pm

Hi Taffy...i am also a rather gasy gal and i understand it can be embarassing if one accidently slips out. My main advice to you is to this of this as being no big deal and maybe even laughing about it when it happens. I think all of the fears we deal with are very irrational and being the worries that we are we can let out fears cripple us...with anything really not just gas. My main this was agoraphobia i was scared to go anywhere in fear of losing control and having an attack in front of someone and getting embarassed. The reason i got over it was to think of it as no big deal. I mean really whats the worst that could happen? I could have an attack in front of someone...so what? And most people i have had attacks in front of are my friends and family and they completely understood and didnt think i was a crazy person...and even if they did who cares?

So try to not play up "tooting" too much in your head. Everyone does it it's a natural occurence. The average person toots about 5 times a day and yes EVERYONE does it. I mean really what is the worst that could happen if someone heard you toot? Maybe someone may laugh? So what it can be funny...and then they would get over it and go about thier day. No one is going to think you are an alien over it. It's just gas it's no big deal. Everyone does it. Just try to remember that as with any of your other fears! good luck!

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:08 am

OMG. This had been a huge problem for me since highschool. My gas was soooooo horrible at times as well and so embarassing. I even had it while I was in school for shiatsu (japanese massage). It is so horribly embarassing. I know how bad it can be and so I'll share my secrets with you.

1)Improve your digestion...take lemon, olive oil, hot water, a bit of cayenne and honey or maple syrup every morning. Make sure you take it all at once. Also making green smoothies (example: a handful of spinach, 2 bananas, a handful of blueberries, 1 freshly squeezed orange and a bit of water) and eatting things on lettuce or spinach...things like chicken or tuna or whatever.

2)Decrease the Dairy. This is difficult but it might be the main factor. It was definately the main factor for me. Once I cut this out and cleaned myself out the problem went away. Milk isn't too bad if you are using more greens and the lemonade but cheese is absolutely horrible or at least it will be until the frequency of anxiety attacks lessens (anxiety supresses the digestive system and dairy is difficult to digest so it just sits there and rots).

3)Do a colon cleanse. You can use the Master Cleanse (my fav), You can fast there are some colon cleanse products out there as well. Not only does it help with the gas but it helps with sleep, cognitive functioning, anxiety, depression and a bunch of other things.

4)Probiotics before eatting help to breakdown the food. Dophilus or Acidophilus would be the one to take just before you're about to eat. It really does help.

5)Get a 1.5L water bottle and drink 2 of those a day

6)Eat fruit if you don't already

7)And finally last but not least and I'd only use this is you absolutely have to...Charcoal tablets. These things are great to stop the gas very very quickly...the downside though is they make you more constipated so you don't want to do it too often. What happens if you stay constipated too long is you get sharp stabbing pains in a localized spot which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Anyways if you were only to do 1 of these things out of the 7 that would be to cut out dairy...thats your best bet.

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

Lynnier

Post by Lynnier » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:59 am

Here's yet another gassy person chiming in. I found that eliminating certain foods from my diet eliminated the gas problem.
Flatulence happens when your stomach has difficulty digesting something you've eaten. In my case, it's anything with refined, white flour, sugar and certain high fiber veggies. Once I determined what caused the gas and stopped eating them, the flatulence went away.

taffy24

Post by taffy24 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:01 pm

Thanks guys!

Uncle Mike

Post by Uncle Mike » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:19 pm

Hi Kiddo. you say when you are around you mom or feel safe, there's no problem. Then when your anxiety is kicked in so does the gas. Just think.... if you got a handle on your anxiety, the gas issue might go away. Are we in the right place or what?!!!

m2spoild

Post by m2spoild » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas and techniques. It all makes sense and although I don't have a full blown gas issue it does sputter up when the anxiety is really bad.
* Michelle *

taffy24

Post by taffy24 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:48 am

I need some help. I'm currently working a temp job where I have my own little office and I'm comfortable but it is only a temp job. I've been offered a position with a hospital doing data entry. The desks are horrible for my phobia, there are four desks in a small windowless room, the desks face the walls with a partition wall separating the sides of the desks and you'd sit with your back open. I had a similar job like this for 3 years, I hated it. I'm going through the program now, but I really don't think I'll get a handle on my anxiety before damage is done. I don't want to be made fun, laughed at, or picked on anymore. Those were the worse three years of my life.

My mom thinks it is a great opportunity. I've explained my problem to her and she says "Oh I'd just make a joke about it!" If I was able to just laugh it off, I'd done so years ago. I've been praying to God for guidance on what to do. I asked for a sign, something I can't miss. My mom thinks I got it when I called to turn down the position and they called me back to talk me into accepting. I don't know what to do. Any advice?

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”