Unbearable Nausea

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
NatalieP

Post by NatalieP » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:45 am

I need some help. I have been having some stomach problems lately which include unbearable nausea in the mornings. Generally I am awakened early in the morning, around 3:30-4:30 with Diarrhea. This results in a couple of trips to the bathroom over the next few hours, which prevents me from getting the sleep I need.

Further, when I get up and get going, I start to have bad nausea. It's never made me throw-up, but I am gaggy. I've tried taking some dramamine, but that doesn't seem to help. It makes it hard to eat anything, which further causes stomach problems. I've tried everything I can think of: ginger tea, dramamine, crackers, light snacks, yogurt. Nothing seems to help me. Once I get my lunch in me, I seem to be okay.

How can I stop this problem before it starts. Does anyone know of anything I can take at night before I go to bed that might help me?? Does anyone else out there have this same problem?

And, no, I'm not pregnant.

Karilynn

Post by Karilynn » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:49 am

What are you eating before you go to bed? And how shortly before you go to bed are you eating? I know that when I eat something that would normally not make me sick right before I go to sleep, makes me sick in my sleep and I wake up around 4 am with diarrhea. I try not to eat at least 3 hours before I go to sleep, and sometimes when I've had a really anxious day I take those pepto-bismol caplets that you can swallow before I go to sleep and this usually always prevents a massive stomachache and heartburn.
hugs&kisses,
Karilynn

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Frank Herbert

"How you climb up the mountain is just as important as how you get down the mountain. And, so it is with life, which for many of us becomes one big test followed by one big lesson. In the end, it all comes down to one word: grace. It's how you accept winning and losing, good luck and bad luck, darkness and the light."

NatalieP

Post by NatalieP » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:59 am

I'm not eating anything after I eat dinner. Sometimes I will eat a little candy or something, but nothing that would be upsetting my stomach.

I'm going to try the Pepto tablets and see if that helps.

Improudofwhoimbecoming!

Post by Improudofwhoimbecoming! » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:59 am

Do you have problems with your sinuses? I know this time of year, at least in Iowa with the cold weather, my sinuses act up. What happens at night is that all the sinus drains down in my stomach, causing the nausea. Once you eat something, it always goes away. Maybe trying crackers first thing when you wake up?

If this doesn't sound like the cause..could it be hormonal? Not to pry but are you on birth control or anything else that could have an effect on your hormones? My birth control pill makes me feel nauseous in the morning.

I know when my anxiety is high, my nausea also flares up. I drink anti-nausea medication. I say drink in all humor because litterly, I have to drink it. I think the name of it is Emetrol - it is over the counter anti-nausea medication. Also, try a peppermint tea.

Hope you get feeling better!

DebbieW

Post by DebbieW » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:03 am

Hi Natalie,

How long has this been going on? Is this something that just started or does this happen when you are under alot of stress? You could have acid reflux do you get heartburn? There are OTC medicane for the Nausea and Diarrhea. But you should see a doctor if it dosen't go away.
Take care hope you feel better.

Debbie

NatalieP

Post by NatalieP » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:07 am

I do have some sinus problems that have been going on this season, so that could definitely be the case.

I am on the pill and have been for years with no trouble, so not sure if that could be an issue.

Maybe I will try that Emerol stuff instead and see if that works. The nausea is horrible because I can't eat anything then, which makes it worse. If I could get past the nausea, I think I'd be okay.

NatalieP

Post by NatalieP » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:09 am

Debbie....this has just started in the last few weeks due to some anxiety I've been having. I've been trying to get it under control, but it's like a catch 22.....my digestive system is out of whack because I have anxiety, and my anxiety is caused a lot by my system being out of whack.

My doctor told me to stay on my high-fiber diet when I called her. She apparently won't consider giving me anything for the nausea.

maria k

Post by maria k » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:45 am

Just so you know- one of my most prevalent symptoms of my anxiety was being nauseous in the am. Sometimes it would go away as the day passed- sometimes not. That coupled with headaches and feeling of "hotness" in my face were my only symptoms of anxiety. I still have a hard time believing its anxiety- but so many say that these are symptoms, so I guess its true. Either way- youre not alone- Hope you feel better. Maria

Improudofwhoimbecoming!

Post by Improudofwhoimbecoming! » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:49 am

Yes - try the Emetrol. It is a liquid cherry flavored anti-nausea medicine. Works wonders for me. It may be a combination of your sinuses and your stress of worrying about it - like you said, it is a catch 22.

drrm

Post by drrm » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:54 am

Dear Natalie, have you been using ibuprofen or aleve or an antiinflamatory medication? if so these tend to irritate the lining of the digestive system and could be a cause for suspition!

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”