Really embarassing what-if

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
Dane

Post by Dane » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:26 pm

All the sudden I have this new social anxiety problem that started about a month ago, and it's the most frustrating one that I've ever had. I have a fear of getting gas around people, especially certain people at work. So even though I don't have any gas problems or any stomach problems, I constantly just think "god, what if I get gas and he/she smells it it would be so embarrassing". I have to double up on my clonazepam every time I work now just to get through it. Anyone have any ideas on how to end this what-if? I try the breathing techniques, and turning the scenario into something funny isn't too difficult, but it just keeps coming back and it seems relentless.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:07 am

Hi Dane,

I really don't know what to tell you about that what if. How about Gas Happens?!

Seriously, I used to have a huge problems with, lets just say: that type of issue.

It was when I was first diagnosed with hyper-tension. I do the usual, low fat, high fiber, and exercise. The more fiber I had the more gas i got. It wasn't until about 5 years later when I went on the Atkins diet and reduced my carbohydrate intake, that I noticed, I didn't have any more gas. I mean nothing!

I would try reducing my carbohydrate intake to 120-150 grams tops per day, and consume more protein. It will help reduce the amount of gas you may get, you'll get great looking skin and hair and you may even lose a few pounds.

My thoughts on this is you get less gas, you'll have fewer what ifs. make any sense?

Good luck,

Your friendly neighborhood Gman

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:05 am

Hey Dane, it may help to take a look at your diet. If you are taking in alot of fiber to quickly it can lead to gas and cramping issues.

Why not talk to your pharmist or doctor. They might be able to recemmend something over the counter that is safe and will not interact with any medications you might be taking, if your on anything.

It helps also to increase your water consumption and try to execrise regulary to help aid in digestion.

Take care and God Bless.

Angla

Post by Angla » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:17 am

Thanks for the replies... The thing is I don't actually have any diet or gas problems, my thinking about it litereally causes me to have it; it doesn't matter if I don't eat for 2 days before I work (which I've actually tried). It's really frustrating

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:29 am

I have social anxiety disorder.I have had it as long as I can remember.I get embarrassed really easy and I am always thinking what if something happens and I get embarrassed.We cannot control what happens in our lives.We can control how we react to them though.Just remember that most of the time what we think might happen or what we stress ourselves out over usually doesn't happen at all or it is never as bad as we predict that it might be.Try to live in the moment.We can't control our future so have more of a relaxed attitude towards what we predict might happen which usually doesn't.Also think about how many times have you stressed yourself out over this thought and nothing ever happened.Our lives are to precious to spend our time worrying about what other people might be thinking of us.Love ourselves no matter what and laugh at the thought that you have it's kinda funny.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”