Anxiety about colonoscopy

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:11 am

I just had a colonoscopy about 3 weeks ago and it was no big deal. I did not want to have one but one of the tests that I had showed blood so I decided I had better have them take a look. The day before, I cleaned out...that was no big deal to me. I drank 8 ozs of 7up and the 2 tablespoons of the concoction I bought at the store for 6 different times. The next day I went in as an outpatient, they put me under in Twilight, which means you're out enough so you don't remember anything but you can still turn or whatever if they need you to. I don't remember a thing. Everything came out ok and I was not sore or anything. I was more anxious about having it done than the actual procedure. I hope this helps.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:01 am

My thanks to you again for the insight and advice. I am sooo glad I swallowed my pride and asked for help on this. It already feels better being armed with the knowledge you have shared and I really like the ideas of ensure and mixing with gatorade. Sounds like you all have been blessed with very wise physicians. Thank you for the strength and easing my anxiety on this which has been very, very scary.

Angie S.

Post by Angie S. » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:36 am

I am 26 and had a colonoscopy done about a year an a half ago. I was EXTREMELY SCARED as well...then when it was over I thought how silly it was to have worked myself up so much over something that turned out to be so simple. During the procedure you won't feel or remember a thing! As soon as they woke me afterwards I was 100% fine, no pain at all and I went out for lunch as soon as I left the building. The prep really was the worst part and of course my anxiety over the whole thing. The prep isn't that bad, the stuff they had me drink tasted kinda nasty and then going to the bathroom every 5 mins. isn't exactly my idea of fun. That said, I'd do the procedure in a heartbeat again and knowing what I know now, I wouldn't be scared about the procedure it's self at all. You'll be just fine, I promise...and this is comming from the world's biggest wuss.
Give me courage, Lord, to sail, my boat out from the shore. I'd rather feel the ocean's gale and hear the tempest roar, than to anchor safely in some bay, because fear conquered me. Let craft less daring, inland stay. Be mine the pathless sea.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”