Anxiety about colonoscopy

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
indigoblue

Post by indigoblue » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:32 am

Am having extreme "what if" over a recent test result that has me going soon for a colonoscopy. Oh boy, am I having "what if's".

I'm scared of what might be found and am just as scared of the procedure itself. Have heard some not so nice things about it including the prep. Being phobic about vomiting does not make it any easier that's for sure.

Has anyone out here had one of these? Is it as awful as some make it out to be?

Please help, I really need support on this one. Thank you.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:19 am

I've had at least 3 colonoscopies and 2 endocopes into my stomach.

The worst thing about these tests are the prep.
Not real bad just annoying. My doc had me drink an entire bottle of Miralax mixed with orange gatorade. Did not taste bad at all.

They put you out and you don't remember anything when you wake up. They just tell you what they saw and then send you home and tell you take it easy for the rest of the day, no stairs, no driving, etc... It's a piece of cake!

If you ask me, it's a test worth taking. Especially since we know it can save your life.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:25 pm

The procedure itself isn't bad at all. I was pretty nervous when I was going to have a colonoscopy, but they gave me plenty of happy juice, and i was totally out of it. I don't remember the procedure at all, and you won't either, so it won't be bad at all. You'll wake up and then you get to leave.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:30 pm

The worst part is drinking the "Fleet" or whatever to clean you out and staying in the bathroom for 2 to 3 hours straight. As long as they knock you out it will be fine. God Bless!
Wayne

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:59 pm

Thank you so much to all of you for your insight. It sounds as though it won't be all "that bad" after all. I guess I'm mostly anxious now about the prep and it too will prob not be as bad as I think. Again, thank you so much for your replies.

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:31 pm

Agreed, the prep is the worst part!

Some Valium or Versed I.V., and you will not remember a thing...

Good luck to you! I hope all is well...

dj63

Post by dj63 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:42 am

Thanks again, still nervous, sometimes really dreading but trying to stay positive. As long as the prep is not nauseating (my big fear as well) all should be ok. Just finished the program and started to feel better, then this came along. Dare I say, it must be a growth spurt testing my resolve. My goodness I'm scared though and I thank you so much for the comfort in your supportive responses. It means an incredible amount.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:56 am

Indigoblue ~ The prep is the worst thing about the colonoscopy and even it is not ALL that bad. The worst thing is not being able to eat for so long.

They gave me drugs so I would not feel any thing of course. I was awake for the entire procedure and watched the entire thing on the TV monitor finding it pretty interesting. One of my kid's moms ( I am an elementary school guidance counselor) was my OR nurse. The only thing I felt was the gas they blow into you and that was uncomfortable!

Hubby had one last year and he was awake as well. He went out for just a bit.

It really is not all that bad. Good luck to you!

celeron

Post by celeron » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:45 am

I was allowed to have lemon jell-o and plain vanilla Ensure up until evening time. Your doctor will let you know the exacts on this. I was able to keep full because of this. The prep is yucky but you get past that. The actual colonoscopy is a sinch. No problem. No discomfort at all.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:11 am

I just had a colonoscopy about 3 weeks ago and it was no big deal. I did not want to have one but one of the tests that I had showed blood so I decided I had better have them take a look. The day before, I cleaned out...that was no big deal to me. I drank 8 ozs of 7up and the 2 tablespoons of the concoction I bought at the store for 6 different times. The next day I went in as an outpatient, they put me under in Twilight, which means you're out enough so you don't remember anything but you can still turn or whatever if they need you to. I don't remember a thing. Everything came out ok and I was not sore or anything. I was more anxious about having it done than the actual procedure. I hope this helps.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”