Examples of Circular Thinking

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
pecos

Post by pecos » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:20 am

One of our Session 8 homework assignments is to notice our circular thinking and jump out of it. Examples?
Does anyone want to provide examples of specific circular thinking they have, and HOW DO YOU JUMP OUT? Some advice and help here, please, anyone?

Wayne Warrick

Post by Wayne Warrick » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:15 pm

pecos:
Circular Thinking is a combination of thoughts mainly pertaining to the same fear or fears one after another and then they start all over again. Kind of like being on a Merry-Go-Round without the Merry. You need to "Jump" off to stop them. You need to find something to distract your mind and it may be as simple as starting to notice things around you such as sights, smells, etc that will return you to the present moment. See the Sunshine, the trees, the clouds. Also, Your Pets would be a great distraction. Smell the Fresh Air or the flowers you may have. You have got to get back into the present moment to get off the "Merry-Go-Round" of Circular Thinking. Hope this helps in some small way. God Bless!
Wayne
WAW

pecos

Post by pecos » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:25 am

Hi Wayne, I think this is another one of those concepts to do with how we cause our own problems that is not as well understood as it needs to be. I had the same problem with secondary gains. It is mentioned very briefly in the session work (unless I keep missing something) and I only began to understand it last week with the help of Mary recommending an old post by Carolyn. I read that post and suddenly it all unfolded, made total sense. I may be trying too hard to see the entire picture of circular thinking (which was also briefly mentioned?). I always like a scientific model, with all the molecular structures in place ;) because then I can work backwards or forwards and always have the same answer. Your explanation of circular thinking is very good. I am going to start noticing chains of one fear that turn into a merry go round of many. I can use my pets as a distraction. What a great analogy! I always appreciate you! Thanks.

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:45 am

Session 10 also mentions the circular thinking. My take on circular thinking is ruminating over the same thing over and over again with no end to the circle. In my case worrying over my cholesterol level without doing anything about it keeps these same thoughts stuck in the circle. When I decide to deal and not dwell and take action on it I'm jumping out of the circle because these old thoughts stop. Jumping out of the circle to me means that I'm interrupting or changing these same circular thoughts by dealing with it rather than dwelling on it. You might try reading over session 10 although tips for dealing with scary obsessive thoughts are a little different than dealing with sudden anxiety but the message is the same - Deal don't dwell.

pecos

Post by pecos » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:54 am

Hi Mary, yes, ruminating is a good word. Today I was busy for several hours (solitary type work) and my mind kept wandering over to an issue that I dwell on, then get upset about. I would put my hand up in front of my face and say stop this, and then I would conjure up Wayne's not-so-merry merry go round. I would imagine I was going round and round with this particular issue until I got so dizzy, I fell off the darned thing. I know that is not the kind of Jumping Out that the program intends, but it worked. I ended up laughing at myself. And I noticed how sneaky my mind can be. It just kept slipping right back to that negative issue (I need to get a key back from a person who lives near my parent's house - and this person is ever so difficult!) What I have been doing (I now realize as circular thinking) is I rehearse the moment of asking for the key, over and over and over. I end up upset, with no key, never having had the conversation. Today when I let myself fall off the merry go round, I decided to just dissolve these negative thoughts until I see this person. Then I will simply say I need the key!
Thank you Wayne and Mary. That was the last homework question I had with Session 8, and now that I have completed it, on to 9 tomorrow. :)

PS: I add this many days later. Hi Emily, I read your post below and did consider that. The person helped with my mother's feeding station for her many "homeless" cats, and I don't want to alienate them. I will eventually just ask for it back. I put this into the homework and turned it into problem solving. Amazing how many hours I can waste worrying about how to get a key back!
Last edited by pecos on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fischee

Post by fischee » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:34 pm

I know this doesn't address the issue of circular thinking, and many will see it as avoidance and a "cop out," but have you considered simply changing the locks? Just a thought...

karenLeigh

Post by karenLeigh » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:57 am

I pulled this old thread back up because I'm suffering with this as well. I say suffering because it is truly causing me (mental) pain. I know it has alot to do with me being a stay at home mom. I'm by myself for most of the day. I noticed I get it bad when I am taking a shower. I guess becuase it's quiet...I don't know?? I thought about getting me one of those shower radios. I thought that might help. I think the relaxation tape would probably help too.
I was just wondering does anybody else have this?? or have they found ways to "deal" with it?? I would appreciate any advice on this subject. Thank-you :)
"Greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world".

rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:18 am

Karen, I feel for you. I had such a problem with this when I was Stay at home too. Your idea of a radio in the shower is great, sounds just the right kind of thing that can help. What works for me is to get busy, when I have too much time that is when my mind gets into circular thinking. This is what i did to help get busy:

Clean closets, the fridge, the bathroom.
Reading a book, fiction, not something about anxiety etc
Exercise, I joined a gym with a daycare and running helps alot.
Call a friend
Go shopping
Write out my thought I was having and then replace it with positive
Go to the library
Go online and stay away from Web MD!

I found that after I went back to work full time, I got alot better because the adult interaction and having work to focus on didn't give me time to obsess. I was having a hard time at home because I felt bored and isolated. I started obsessing and circular thinking. It took me months to admit I wanted to go back to work. I felt so guilty about it. But now that I am back to work I'm so much better and I'm a much better mother now because I am no longer obsessing when I'm with my son. I know alot of Stay at home moms are able to deal with their anxiety and continue to stay at home, we are all different. Its about finding what works for you, get into a routine and works for you, that gets your mind busy and keeps you from getting caught in the circular thinking. You will ovecome this, you are just beginning to learn how. You can PM me if you need support. I know how hard it can be to be at home alone.
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

karenLeigh

Post by karenLeigh » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:16 pm

Thank you for all of those great ideas. I think I need that adult interaction too. My goal is to go back to work. This is my 2nd time around with the program and for me it just keeps getting better and better. I'm learning and seeing things I didn't the first time around. So that gives me hope that I will soon be able to work again.
"Greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world".

debchance

Post by debchance » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:19 am

Hi all,
I am going back to school this week. I have my bachelors in psych and decided finally to go after my longtime dream of interior design. So I am going further in debt and out on a limb and going for a completely different bachelor's.
My point is that I am a stay at home mom too. My daughter is four and she started preschool in September. It has been better to have a break. I know school will help too because I will not only have adult interaction but I will be doing something for myself.
One thing I do in the shower, if I ever get to take one by myself, is bring in the session cds and listen to them while I am in there. You're supposed to listen to them several times and this helps. I also sometimes have them playing in the background or in the car when I am alone. It makes me feel good and is a good way to squeeze in some of the homework for the sessions.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”