Schooling...

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
IluvNate

Post by IluvNate » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:24 am

Hey there! I'm 22 years old, I've been in University for the last two years. I had been studying filmmaking and production design but after working in the field for the summer, I've decided I want to take a different route. It's taken me a looooong time to figure out what it is I want to do in terms of a career. I'm looking at Interior Design. It all seems to make sense now, I've always been fascinated with environments and how they're designed. I walk into a room and always starting thinking all the things I could do with it.

My problem is, I have a tough time believing in myself enough. My mom's encouraging, which helps. But my dad, as much as he means well, I told him I was interested in interior design and the first words out of his mouth were "isn't that really hard?" He's always done this, it makes me feel like he doesn't think I'm bright enough. And then I have doubts in myself as well. I got an A in Design but even when I got good marks, I just kept on thinking, well the prof just thinks I'm a nice girl. That honestly goes through my head, it's like I can't accept that I rightfully deserved that grade. Then I took drafting and drawing, the prof wasn't the greatest, it was difficult, I ended with a C, which surprised me since I thought I had done worse. I have this dialogue that plays in the back of my head is no negative. It's a very expensive department and I'm so scared of getting into it and failing. I've changed my mind a few times now over what I want to do as a career, I'm scared the same thing will happen.
I just need some words of enouragement or some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
Jo :D

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:48 am

Hi Jo,
Sounds to me that you have made a big decision and it sounds like this is your niche. You know, our parents can become our inner critic, they can effect our belief system, but this can stop. Possibly, your dad may have low self esteem or something else wants you to hold back. But, I will tell you, I do not believe in failure, if you try and fail, that is not failure, if you do not try because of fear, that is failure. If Interior Design is what interests you, I say go for it and be assertive with dad, say hey dad, this is really what I want to do I have thought about it and I would welcome your support, but if You cannot I am sorry for that, I have to do what makes me happy and if Interior Design is it, I will find out, if it is not, I will find out that too. Just be who you are and go towards your goals. nobody would give a grade because they thought they were nice, you earned that grade and you deserved it. Feel good about you and the decisions you make good or bad, right or wrong, you at least made a decision. Stand up for yourself!

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:38 am

Hello Jo,

First give yourself a lot of praise for deciding what it is that you want to do with your life and going for it.

As for the negativity from your Dad, give yourself some positive self-talk, something like, "No matter what ANYONE else says or thinks, I know that I can do this. I am smart and creative, which are two major requirements for interior design. I can and will make a success of this."

--Phil.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:21 pm

Hi Jo!

I am a student as well. I know I bust my rear end off to get great grades and I deserve what I worked hard for. Batting eyelashes and being cute will only get you so far, so YOU DID work your tail off for those grades! And a "C"
in not shabby, do not knock yourself. You worked at it and you still passes, it is OK.

I never went to college as a "kid" because my dad did not think it was worth his money. He said if I wanted to go, I would have to pay. I tried to work full time and go to school. Well that did not work because I managed a resturant, so school went on the back burner.

Back to the point. You are intelligent and worked for that grade. You are capable of following your dream job no matter what anyone thinks. If you enjoy it, you will succeed. Do what your heart desires. There is only one shot at this life and this is it. I am going to school to be a teacher, something I have wanted FOREVER! If you still are unsure, take a couple of classes at a community college if possible, that way it is less expensive. This is your life, live it to your fullest potential. Follow your dreams. When someone does what they enjoy, they are less stressed, more creative, at peace with themselves. Follow YOUR dreams. :) LizB

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:30 pm

Hi Jo!

I had to reply to your post because I am an interior designer! Interior Design is very rewarding and fun. It is also great for us anxious types because there is a lot of creativity required and a lot of detail work. Don't look too much to your grades as a benchmark for your future success. Look instead for internships and opportunities like that which will help you really cement your career. Praise yourself for any small achievement as often as you can. If you truly love interior design, you will find a way to be a success once you are out of school. I do better in real life than I do in the classroom and I am sure many other people share this experience. My mother sounds much like your father as she is always encouraging me to quit the minute things get slightly tough. I have gotten to a place where I realize those are HER ISSUES, not mine, and I can press forward. Everyone in school doubts their abilities at one point or another. They also question whether or not they are in the right field of study. My degree is in Economics (funny huh?) You have to just keep pressing on - things have a way of figuring themselves out along the way.

Leopolda

Post by Leopolda » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:00 am

Thank-you so much guys! It's nice to hear some encouragement. I was talking to my Dad about it the other day but he kept on mentioning how hard it is, as if I wasn't smart enough to take it on. It short of shakes my confidence because I think, what if he's right? Of course I can also think what if he's wrong. I'm not all that strong in math or science. Belinda, is there alot of math required in interior designing? I think it's the interior decorating that I'm most interested in, yet there seems to be no school around here for that sort of thing.
Thanks everyone :D
Jo
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.....Mother Theresa

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:45 am

Hey Jo,

I'm going through the same thing right now in college. I'm a film studies/production major and medieval history minor--two concentrations that will lead me nowhere in May of 2007 when I graduate. And I also had a photography professor tell me that I was the best in his class and that he thought I had a lot of talent--something I've NEVER heard from a professor here before. But even with this praise, my dad still thinks I'm going to be a tv journalist, a dream I had when I was 15 (I'm 21 now), and my grandparents blatantly say to my face "you don't want to go into film/photography and travel around the world. that's so hard! you want to find a nice boy and get married." and my mother supports me, but doesn't really care about my work when I try to show it to her.

But while this all seems negative, I know they are not doing it to discourage me. They are looking out for me in their own strange parental way. I KNOW things will fall into place when I graduate. I KNOW I'll feel less lost, anxious and depressed when I find a job I enjoy. We kind of have to float with it. It's easier said than done, I know, but why dwell on the negative when positive hope (even false hope) will help us enjoy our lives more? Becoming and adult is terrifying. Knowing that from now on all the decisions you make are YOUR decisions is terrifying. But I can tell from your worries that you are not a careless girl, and though we both WILL make mistakes, we'll find our places with time.

good luck!

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:17 am

If your heart is in interior design, go for it!! Your'e smart and i'm very sure persistant, so don't let nothing hold you back. That's your "what if thinking" making you second guess your talents. I say, see the fear and do it anyways,you'll be very happy you did.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”