public speaking

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
silver eagle

Post by silver eagle » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:47 pm

I have to do public speaking from time to time and have another one next week. This is a very tough time trying to get ready. is there anyone who can offer any suggestions to help with this? I really need some advice it is wearing me out thinking about it. I seem to freeze up and and lose my train of thought . Help

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:42 pm

Hi Silver Eagle!

I took a Public SPeaking class last semester. What helped me is to make 3 x 5 note cards with my main points so that I could keep my speech on track. Second, I would rehearse my speech several times before I went live. If you can, have props or distraction, like a powerpoint presentation or overhead charts. (people like to see) If you need to take a pause to regain composure, have a bottle of water handy, take a drink, that helps me regroup and calm down. Speak slowly, this will help from getting ahead of yourself. Sometime I talk much quicker than I can think and everything gets jumbled so I slow down. Breathe and feel confident that you DID take the time to prepare this presentation (speech sounds like the noose!) and you will nail it! I also do not make eye contact, I look at the tops of heads, that keeps me from getting flustered and losing my place too.

I hope this helps you. Good luck with your speech, I know you will do well. Warm wishes, LizB

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:57 pm

:)Liz B,
Are you a teacher? You are one of the sweetest gals on this board. I'm in awe of all your advice. You rock girl!

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:54 pm

Thanks Emily,

You are way too sweet! :) Actually, I am going to school to be a teacher. I want to teach pre-k thru 8th grade. (that is the way licenses in Illinois work) Stick with the program, it really works. The people around her are wonderful and are always here to help! Warm wishes, LizB :)

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:16 pm

:)You will make an awesome teacher!!!!!!!!!Love, Emily

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:49 pm

Thanks Liz B. I will try that. I guess I have worn myself out with anticipation. Sometimes it can be worse thinking about the event than the the event itself.I appreciate the advice.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:52 pm

Silver Eagle,

I know your "presentation" will be exceptional! Warm wishes, LizB

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:01 pm

Liz the speech went better than I thought it would thanks for the encouragement

luvpiggy

Post by luvpiggy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:45 pm

Silver Eagle,

That is awesome! I was thinking about you and wondering how it went. Glad to hear it went better that you thought! It gets easier every time you do one! Great Job! :) LizB

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:23 am

If it's any help to you, i've been this way for years. I was never able to make public speeches, so i ended up failing the class. My advice to you is keep doing it although you fear doing it. It's really helping you.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”