Back to school -noticed anxiety is higher -Cross post from Parent to Parent

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
"C"

Post by "C" » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:55 am

I posted this yesterday but no one responded so maybe I had it in the wrong forum...Here goes...

DD went back to college a week ago. Ds started his freshman year of high school last week. I know that I am truly blessed. Neither of them are rebellious, both are honor students, they are truly great kids. So why do I worry so much about them.

DD made a new set of friends last year that were quite different from our traditional friends and their values were totally different. We were accepting but it was still uncomfortable to think this was the group she chose to be in. We invited them over to the house for a Wii Party and food (college kids LOVE good) Again nothing horribly wrong just very different from us which is what college is all about, right? It's not even the friends but I worry about her getting sick. She was a freshman last year and sure enough both semesters she pushed too hard, procrastinating and staying up til 3 or 4 a.m. studying and writing papers and each semester she got really sick the last week and I had to go get her. She seems really good this semester but it's only the first week. She would forget to eat too. Eating and sleeping the two most basic things in life - I thought I taught that. It's very hard after taking care and reminding for 19 years to just say I hope she figures this out on her own.

As for ds, well he's a teenage boy. An honor's student who doesn't want to be an honor's student when his friends are around but who enjoys being smart when the adults are around.
The thing I worry about with him is his homework. Last year for example going into the final grades he had a 49 in Alg I - he was going to fail the class. Within two weeks he brought that grade from a 49 to a 95 and received the Most Improved Algebra student without any tutors or really extra work. So it's not that he's not capable it's Will he do the work? But again, that's something he's going to have to do for himself.

These things I know logically yet I still find myself losing sleep, getting migraines, worrying.

Anybody else go thru this? What were your coping strategies? Appreciate your input!

Dh and I are both in between jobs at the moment which makes it even more stressful bc we have all this extra time to worry about those issues and money issues. Dd is on full scholarship so that's not too much of an issue but ds goes to private school and is in the band. The school is also into lots of fundraisers.

Appreciate your thoughts and prayers....

Thanks

"C"

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”