Anxiety and Epiglottis

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
Lana

Post by Lana » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:23 pm

Hi,
Thanks for this opportunity. My name is Lana and I am 28. I have read almost all the posts here but I did not find one to pertained to what I am going through. One night, while I was 7.5 months pregnant, I ate and went to bed. As I laid down, I felt a sudden swelling in the back of my throat. I had no clue what was happening so I went to the doctor; had a thyroid ultra sound which came back normal. After I delivered my son, (he was some what colicky) the feeling in my throat came back.. I went to an ENT and he diagnosed Acid Reflux. I began focusing on my throat because of the constant swelling and I was not able to get it off my mind. I got to a point that I began feeling and seeing my epiglottis. No matter what I did, it was there. I would wake up in the morning and just feel it, sometimes I would swallow and I would feel it stick and unstick. It eased temporarily while and after I ate but then the sensation came back. My ENT was convinced that this is from Anxiety because of focusing on the swelling/throat. I had a Neck Catscan and the results stated I had "Multiple Nodes at the upper limits of Normal size which are remarkable by virtue of their multiplicity. Clinical correlation recommended."
My doc is still sure that the swelling is from AR but said the lymph nodes is a whole seperate things and wants me to see an Infectious disease doc. I take prilosec and zantac for the AR, which is not really bothering me any more, the swelling has gone down. In regards to the anxiety, I have had a few panic attacks because I still at times feel the epiglottis straining or if I turn my neck, I feel it more.. and it drives me crazy.. I have been doing much better with the negative thinking/focusing on it.. I pray, exercise, do yoga poses and am trying to focus on the positive things and avoid my own negative, fearful thoughts..
I wonder if any one else had similar experiences.. please share and ease my mind that what it is is a physical symptom of anxiety and nothing else that the docs are not picking up on. Any input is appreciated. Lana

suzyq46

Post by suzyq46 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:15 am

Lana,
Although I haven't had the problem with my throat that you have I can tell you for sure that concentrating on any body part can cause horrible symptoms! Just two weeks ago I took an anti-biotic which had a warning of serious colitis as a side affect. I have never had bowel problems but that warning put me into a panic. Although I stopped the pills at once I got it in my head that I was having bowel problems!!! I was so miserable that I finally called the Mid-West Center's support line for the first time! It really helped to talk to someone who understands. Still it's hard to get those things out of your mind once they take root. I know there will come a day when we will laugh at our fears! Just wanted you to know that I understand and someone cares!

Lana

Post by Lana » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:04 pm

Hey SuzyQ:
I really appreciate that you took time to read my post and write back to me..
I know what you mean and I noticed at times, it is my fault for concentrating on it.. but what throws me off is that even when I am not thinking about it, I feel it so I am not sure if it is just another symptom of the anxiety that is expressed as others I sometimes feel even when I am not anxious or thinking about anything..

JArose

Post by JArose » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:38 am

Hi I've have very similar symptoms as you. I sometimes feel like there is the extreme pressure pushing on my throat and it feels like I'm being chocked but I'm not. I went the the doctors office and they said it's most likely anxiety and I do think they are correct however. I have started to see my epiglottis when I stick my tongue out stretched. I think it's normal but maybe it's because I'm focusing on the throat pain and feelings I'm having there so maybe the anxiety did bring up these symptoms. I'm not sure but I'd love to know. Ok so here are my symptoms. I feel like there is burning in the back of my throat along with my tongue being very dry and no matter how much I drink it never feels relieved. Also when I swallow sometimes, I feel like the food gets stuck. Other than that I guess i sometimes feel like I'm not getting enough air but I'm sure that I am since my lungs always rise up and I'm not sleeping very well. I'm not sure but I sometimes wake up quickly and jump out of bed it feels like I"m not able to get enough air but again once I sit back down I'm fine I can breath. My doctor put me on Xanax and it helps some but not totally. I'm scheduled to see a psychiatrist sometime soon but I was wondering if I should go back to my family physician.

Thanks for all of your help

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”