weather bphobia

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
F3

Post by F3 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:40 pm

My worst "what if" isnvolves weather phobia. I'm terrified of foul weather. Typing is difficult -almost not possible- the fear is so intense. I what if about all bad things that could surround foul weather. I've worked through the program once years ago and am now going through again. I've been doing well... until the next weather episode. Terror and what if are unbearable again. Help. Does anyone else have a similar problem?? How do you handle it??

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:23 pm

F3...I live in NJ as you do....I have an intense fear of thunderstorms....which we have gotten many severe ones. My fear initiated in my childhood years, the positive thing I did get out of it is that I am an excellent Home meteorologist.....I dont need any weathermen on tv or the radio to let me know a storm is coming. I read Nature now....Birds, clouds, wind, sounds and temp changes.....and my Vermont weather stick which bends when the humidity changes.....You didnt specify WHAT you were afraid of concerning foul weather. That would help.......creamcheese

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:34 pm

Another Jersey weather phobic! I, too use nature and a Vermont weather stick to make predictions! I didn't think anyone else even had one!

The blizards were tough last month. Fear of massive snow, of being trapped forever, on, and on. Impending horrible rain is lighting the fires of anxiety again. I can feal the flood water around my ankles and it hasn't even started to rain! I'm having trouble even typing at this point. Thank God I have professonal help, some med, and nice floks on this and other sites who help... How do you get around the anticipation of the storm, or the blizard?? It's as bad or even worse than the event. I'm working with the program. It helps. Then, when the help "wears off" it's hell again.

Thanks for listening, fellow Jersey Weather Phobic!!

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:58 pm

F3. I am only phobic with severe thunderstorms...I dont like intense lightning or the cracks that follow. I usually cower on my steps like a scaredy cat with my ear plugs, sunglasses and weather radio nearby.
Snow doesnt bother me however. I love it. But it can get unnerving too if alot falls....in NJ you understand that part. I am in a very congested area....near Fort lee. I only started to get panicky when my roof started to leak...I am alone here so I always battled everything myself.....My weatherstick I bought In Vermont. It was a state I was looking to move to but that changed. If you need me I am here to talk to......My Dad always used to say (about rain) its only water. So I remember that when it falls. let me know how you are doing..creamcheese (Sandra)

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:38 pm

I used to live in Essex County...very congested! a real pain when it snows. We're in Ocean now. Not as congested, but scares the hell outta me still! The snow problem goes back to when I was a kid. ( I was a kid a long time ago!) Rain, wind, even dark menacing skies are all new. Med has taken the edge off a bit tonight. Relaxation tape helps. Even though most people see'only water' I see flood! Destruction! Drowning! etc... Thanks for listening!

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:49 pm

Ocean County is nice I have friends there in Atlantic Highlands.....near the bay. Yes, I can relate to being worried about weather related events. I try to think of Mom Nature being very menapausal now....this world has always had weather events..and people are versatile and ajust..its just that the news reporting has gotten much better and we hear it over and over again...which doesnt help anxieties levels either. My weatherstick is nice and quiet, all I do is look at it.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:04 pm

Only weather people I check with are Chris Cimino on WNBC-4 in NY, and Alan Kasper on radio. They try to give the facts without hype. I know other places will make me nuts! Our weather stick is horizontal here in TR. not bad, but my worries are here. Trying to hang in there!.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”