I'm stuck here...

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
Laurence5905

I'm stuck here...

Post by Laurence5905 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:23 pm

So can someone please explain to me how, exactly, I'm supposed to get over my panic attacks by going out and experiencing MORE of them?! If experiencing more panic attacks was the cure for panic attacks, then this would be a self-curing disease, wouldn't it?! I mean, you'd start to have panic attacks, then you'd have more of them, and then you'd be cured. Which obviously ISN'T how it works in the real world.

No one has *ever* been able to explain this to me in a way that I can understand rationally.

This whole "go out and experience your panic attacks" thing just doesn't work for me. Every time I go out and have a panic attack, it just makes the situation worse. It only adds to my memories of having panic attacks, which brings up more awfulness to recall in the future, which doesn't help me get rid of these panic attacks -- it's a vicious circle. Experiencing more panic attacks doesn't help!! It only makes it worse!!!

Why can I not get past this point?

coachchris

Re: I'm stuck here...

Post by coachchris » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi Laurence,

Thank you for writing and asking a great question.

It sounds to me like the adrenalin is still in control. You are fearing the adrenalin instead of understanding where it is coming from and using tools to manage it. We must change our relationships with the feelings and begin to little by little use the 6 steps from lesson 2 to practice.

May I ask what was happening in your life when you experienced your first panic attack? What circumstances brought it on? What truths from lesson 2 have been helpful for you?

I look forward to your reply.
Coach Chris StressCenter.com

Lmb34380

Post by Lmb34380 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:13 pm

I am so glad I am not alone in this. My big What If is what if I have a panic attack or get anxious. I can’t seem to get over it and I especially am terrified of experiencing a panic attack while I am alone and no one is with me. It has gotten to the point where I never want to be alone at home because I’m like what if I have a panic attack. I have avoided driving and all sorts of activities bc I’m scared o the panic attack. I also feel like experiencing them only adds to the terrible memories of them and makes it hard for me to move past.

Please help!

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:18 pm

Hello LMB,
Welcome to the forums and thank you for writing and reaching out.
Fear of the fear is very common. I would read through the lesson two thread and the ASK Coach Chris thread for help in understanding the stress response better. The six steps in lesson two are key getting out of this fear cycle. Most of us had fear of the fear and felt paralyzed in it. You will get better and be freed from this negative cycle as you begin to understand the stress response.

Do you have the program or the APP already?
May I also ask when was your first experience with the anxiety and what stresses were happening during that time

I look forward to your reply.
Coach Chris

lockdo

Post by lockdo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:44 am

I hope you feel better. I sometimes have attacks when in public. :oops:

miamikittycat

Post by miamikittycat » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:58 am

I see this was written during the pandemic of 2020! Many people joined th ranks of those of us who suffer from panic attacks, but now it’s 2023 and the pandemic has passed us (at least this one!)…just like our panic attacks Always pass🤔🕺👍🏼

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”