What if I have a panic attack during labor?

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
flaxenfire

Post by flaxenfire » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:34 pm

Just thought I'd add something here: I'm not pregnant, but I hope to be soon. I have similiar worries of things going wrong. But my younger sister (after having some early contractions throughout both of her pregnancies, having to be on meds for that, and delivering her second boy a month early) -- tried hypnobirthing for each of her sons. She read about it and took a hypnobirthing class. Both of her labors lasted a total of three hours. In each instance, the doctors and nurses said it was the calmest labor they had ever seen. She had the lights turned down, and really "listened to her body." She didn't need any epidurals or anything...didn't scream or carry on...she said the worst thing you can do is tense up during contractions and "fight" the labor process. She said to the doctors that she wanted it very quiet in the room and that she would push when she felt she had to. She said, "Your body knows what to do." In any case, she informed me that giving birth, in her experience was "no big deal" though it was "hard work." After her second son was born, one of the doctors approached her and asked if she would be willing to teach a hypnobirthing class (she declined at the time)...anyway, if and when I get pregnant, I am going to study hypnobirthing as well. For those of us battling anxiety, look at it this way: If your mind can create negative physical reactions due to psychological stress, what if you used that same energy and power to influence positive reactions. It seems like if we can go one way and have it so strongly affect us in a negative way, we should be able to, with practice, harness that energy and psychology to work in a very positive way, as well...maybe even moreso than a person without anxiety, since we already know one of the emotional extremes, and have been there many times. The other extreme (relaxation, positivity) should also be attainable.
Hope this helps..

lisagroulx

Post by lisagroulx » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:25 am

Hi. I have had two deliveries. First with epideral, no pain...:) Second epidural did not work. I truely believe that i was panicking the whole time, the pain was sooo bad, I knew there must be something wrong, and that no one believed me. I have had anxiety for years, but only recently diagnosed. I am on effexor, even while pregnant. I have done as much research as I can, and truely there is no evidence prooving that effexor is bad for the baby. Anti-depressants are so contraversial in this way, that you have to weigh your options. I am way happier this pregnancy, I can function properly, i feel healthy and am so excited about this baby. While the other pregnancies, I was very stresed out, grouchy, depressed, have panic attacks in every department store you could think of. I still do have anxiety, but I think a birthing coach this time around would be beneficial to me. SOmeone who can look you in the eye, and tell you that the pain you are experienceing is normal, and is supposed to happen. I am really going to look into these things.

Boon

Post by Boon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:37 am

All you have to do is tell your doctor what you are feeling and they will assist you with the meds you need to keep calm. Plus, the other posts are right. You will be so busy and focused (key word here is focused) on delivering the baby that anxiety will not cross your mind.

The reason you will handle it is because you will have no choice. This in and of itself is great news!
"Life is not about comfort. It is about living." Dr. Howard Liebgold

DisneyGirl

Post by DisneyGirl » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:27 pm

I have never had any children myself, but my sister also suffers from panic and has had 3 beautiful kids. The dr.s also told her that the minute the baby is born she could take something (like xanax) which works within a few minutes. So maybe you could talk to your dr. about that, or even focusing on the fact that if you do need it at the end you can have it may be comforting to you. Good luck to you.

ELiNLilysmom

Post by ELiNLilysmom » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:59 am

Spooon,

Im am right with you. I have the most horrible thoughts and I too suffer from anxiety. I am 6 months pregnant with my second child. My 1st pregnancy I did not even know what a panic attack was. I am freaking out because I keep thinking what if something happens during child birth. It is really comforting however to read all the responses on here. I feel better and pray to GOD that he helps all woman going through this. Pregnancy takes a lot out of you if you have anxiety but we must be strong and pray and I wish you the best! Now I feel like im not alone. My husband tries to comfort me but he also makes me feel like im just crazy sometimes and reading all these stories makes me feel better in that I am not going through this alone. Thanks to all of u!

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”