What if I have a panic attack during labor?

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
Spooon

Post by Spooon » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:02 am

I have had the program for 6 mos. and am doing so much better. I have gone from daily debilitating panic attacks to the occasional one, maybe once a month.

But I am pregnant and terrified that I will have
a panic attack in the middle of labor, that my chest will tighten and I won't be able to breath or my stomach will start cramping, or worse that I will pass out when I need to be pushing or something.

I know it's prob. irrational but I am really worried about this, I think it is the fact that once labor starts I have no control, I'm having the baby. It's not like I can leave or go home, I'm gonna be in the process til its done and I want it to be a good experience.

The sad thing is I have done this before, I have an 11 year old, but somehow this pregnancy is much different and I am scared the labor will be much different also. I am already what if-ing all the complications and of course dying during childbirth. Help!

sunset34

Post by sunset34 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:13 am

Spooon,

So what if you do ???? Nothing bad will happen and you will still be able to control yourself !!

We don't have to fear a panic attack because it runs the same course every time. Tell yourself this. Give yourself permission to have an attack and watch something marvelous happen....... Once you ACCEPT panic, it's gone !!!

:)
[b][i]" You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt

[/i][/b]

anxious1

Post by anxious1 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:10 am

Spooon,

I worried about the same thing when I had my daughter. One thing helped me tremendously. I told myself that when the pain started coming, I would release every muscle in my body and just ride the wave of pain. I didn't tense up any muscles. No matter how intense the pain becomes just let go and float through it. Pretend you are floating on a cloud and don't try to hold on to yourself --let the cloud hold you. I handled some pretty intense pain this way. You won't believe how well it works. It is also a great technique to use during panic attacks. Good luck and congratulations!!

Kathy

stacesmom

Post by stacesmom » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:30 am

This hits so close to home. I'm set to have our 2nd baby any day now and those thoughts have been creaping up on me. Those old "what if" thoughts have started again. I have just tried to use my positive self talk, along with prayer and my relaxation tape. Pregnancy and birth are just stressful situations my nature. Even people who don't have problems with anxiety panic during labor. Your doctor and nurses have seen it before.

sunset34

Post by sunset34 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:41 am

Even people who don't have problems with anxiety panic during labor. Your doctor and nurses have seen it before.
EXAAAAAAACTLY !!! :D
[b][i]" You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt

[/i][/b]

Scarl4444

Post by Scarl4444 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:50 am

I don't think you will have a panic attack. You'll be too busy thinking about the baby and having it. I only say this because I was worried about the samething with my second child.
When the labor started panic and anxiety didn't even cross my mind and I believe that was because I was focused on something else.
Even IF you do start having a panic attack tell the nurse they are very compasionate about that stuff and they will help you through it.
Keep up the positive self talk, you will be just fine.
Sherra

Tired Mom

Post by Tired Mom » Thu May 05, 2005 4:46 pm

I was scared out of my mind thinking about my labor. I delivered twin boys four years ago and when I found out that I was having a c-section, I was even more scared. When I was in the delivery room, they gave me the epidural (I think that's what you call it), my whole body went numb. All I could feel was my face and arms. I soon found myself thinking the what-if's. What if there's an earthquake, what if I have a panic attack and I can't move. I was scared, but that only lasted for a little while. I soon started focusing on my double miracles, my little boys. I kept thinking about how I was finally going to see them, that everything was going to be alright, that I didn't need to get off of the delivery table until they were out of me. I somehow started thinking good thoughts and it helped. The funny thing is that I just started the program a few weeks ago and I'm learning how to think positive thoughts. I didn't know back there that I needed to think positive, but somehow I did it and it helped. You're delivery will be fine. Just think about your new baby and how wonderful it will be to finally see him/her and hold him/her in your arms. Good luck. :)

Tired Mom

TheresaZ

Post by TheresaZ » Sun May 15, 2005 5:58 am

I am going through the exact same thoughts right now and it's really getting to me! I am worried about having a panic attack during labor, having to have a C section if labor doesn't work and the whole concept of labor and delivery. It literally can keep me up worrying at night and from enjoying other things. I am trying to keep up the self talk but it doesn't seem to always help, has anyone else experienced that or do you find the self talk works every time? How long of practicing self talk before it does start to work? Help!

KoleNKarisMOM

Post by KoleNKarisMOM » Mon May 07, 2007 6:26 pm

I am having the same thing...I am in the beginning stages of labor and am panicking!!!

I am so afraid I will die in labor or shortly after so my family will get the insurance money to pay off our debt..Its completely crazy but I can't shake the feeling and now I am terrified there is a real cosmic reason for this fear...I have nothing wrong with me how do I combat this fear??
Amanda
Wife to Ben
Mother to Kolten and soon Karisma
Due date May 22

flaxenfire

Post by flaxenfire » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:34 pm

Just thought I'd add something here: I'm not pregnant, but I hope to be soon. I have similiar worries of things going wrong. But my younger sister (after having some early contractions throughout both of her pregnancies, having to be on meds for that, and delivering her second boy a month early) -- tried hypnobirthing for each of her sons. She read about it and took a hypnobirthing class. Both of her labors lasted a total of three hours. In each instance, the doctors and nurses said it was the calmest labor they had ever seen. She had the lights turned down, and really "listened to her body." She didn't need any epidurals or anything...didn't scream or carry on...she said the worst thing you can do is tense up during contractions and "fight" the labor process. She said to the doctors that she wanted it very quiet in the room and that she would push when she felt she had to. She said, "Your body knows what to do." In any case, she informed me that giving birth, in her experience was "no big deal" though it was "hard work." After her second son was born, one of the doctors approached her and asked if she would be willing to teach a hypnobirthing class (she declined at the time)...anyway, if and when I get pregnant, I am going to study hypnobirthing as well. For those of us battling anxiety, look at it this way: If your mind can create negative physical reactions due to psychological stress, what if you used that same energy and power to influence positive reactions. It seems like if we can go one way and have it so strongly affect us in a negative way, we should be able to, with practice, harness that energy and psychology to work in a very positive way, as well...maybe even moreso than a person without anxiety, since we already know one of the emotional extremes, and have been there many times. The other extreme (relaxation, positivity) should also be attainable.
Hope this helps..

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”