If I get better, what will I do with my time?

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
feelingbetter01

If I get better, what will I do with my time?

Post by feelingbetter01 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Worrying is my forte. I'm really good at it. Unfortunately, I've missed out on some important life events because of anticipatory anxiety. It's not even what will happen, as I am beginning to understand and question "What's the worst that can happen?", it's that I won't be able to handle my feelings. I'm afraid of how I will react.

I've seen the correlation between this Session and Session 3. Negative self talk talks me out of participating in my life while compassionate self talk talks me into it and is more realistic. Fear of failure is a great motivator. But I'm seeing that my definition of failure is skewed. I am seeing that negative self talk is just an inhibitor. I thought I was keeping myself safe, but realize there's nothing to be kept safe from!

"Just do it" is the key to this Session, it seems. It is very difficult, though, when my worry and negative anticipation is so convincing. I will try to circumvent my wall of thoughts. Like jumping into a swimming pool without thinking about it.
Last edited by feelingbetter01 on Sun May 19, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

findpeace

Re: If I get better, what will I do with my time?

Post by findpeace » Thu May 16, 2013 8:12 am

Like you, this is one of my biggest hurdles: anticipatory anxiety. I get wound up with myself, thinking about what is coming. I know the outcome is never as bad as the thoughts leading up to it. I have to believe deep down inside.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”