PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME INSIGHT

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
laurasparling63

PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME INSIGHT

Post by laurasparling63 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:34 pm

I started having anxiety about six years ago. It was never as bad as it has been for me in the past two years. However, once I became pregnant almost two years ago, my anxiety developed into pure panic. The doctor (six years ago) had given me xanax, which worked, of course I could not take it during pregnancy. Long story short, it was a miserable, panicky, 9 months simply because in my mind, I knew I couldn't take the xanax. That was my "safe-place" so to speak. And I didn't really have triggers, I was anxious all the time. Although driving, and shopping seemed to make it worse. At least those were the things I dreaded the most. My daughter just turned one. I am feeling so much better since I started this program! I am able to do all the things I "couldn't" do when I was pregnant. And the best part is I have minimal anxiety and I don't have xanax with me ever! My husband and I desperately want to have more children...soon. I am ready for another child, but I am terrified of being pregnant, for the fact that I can't take anything. I start the "what-if" thinking. Like, what-if this pregnancy is like the last, or what if I go completely crazy, etc. So, month by month, I have been putting it off. Is this something I need to just do? Even though it's a bit different from getting into the car and driving(if that happened to be my trigger). It's just that the workbook says to stop putting things that scare you off. Anyone have any insight/suggestions?

Thanks, Laura

Paisleegreen

Re: PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME INSIGHT

Post by Paisleegreen » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi, Laura--Sometimes it could be that simple as just do what you are putting off due to fear. But pregnancy is serious condition and can't be escaped from like, say, "going to the store" or a "movie" or other scary thing some of us feel afraid to do.

You have been pregnant before, so you know what is in store for you. You did survive it and have a beautiful child to show for it. So if you are ready and your husband is ready for another child then go for it, but knowing that you might feel those anxious feelings and again maybe you won't. I've had five children and each pregnancy was different. So you just might not feel the anxious feelings. All you can do is follow your Dr's recommendations and exercise faith that all will go well.

My pregnancies were different and the deliveries were different, but I'm glad that I had my children. The thing about giving birth and going through the pregnancies is that we forget about what happened afterwards. If we didn't, not as many children would be born or the reward was well worth it.

You'll have us to help you as you go through your anxious moments. :) Paislee :mrgreen:

mramirez10

Post by mramirez10 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:32 pm

I agree with paisleegreen. I also would add that putting it in the hands of Lord helps. If you have prayed about it and feel good about it, then I would say push throught that wall and do it. Sometimes doing things that are hard and getting through it helps us realize just how strong we are. It is an encouraging feeling.

laurasparling63

Post by laurasparling63 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Thank you both so much for replying. Your insight means so much to me. Paisleegreen...you are so right when you say pregnancy is not something I can escape from...and that is what feeds my fear. I just need to remind myself, like you said, that I did it before and now I have the skills to use during any anxious episodes (hopefully there are none!) And mramirez, you are soo right when you say I just need to trust in the Lord. I come from a strong Catholic background and need to remember that I am never alone, that God is always with me. Thank you so much for your support.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”