Need pragmatic steps/suggestions to end "What if" thinking

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
LQGuy

Need pragmatic steps/suggestions to end "What if" thinking

Post by LQGuy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi,

This is my first time posting here. I've had issues with panic and depression for the past 30 years and like many of you, was on medication for much of the time. Since purchasing this product, I find that I can get by without medication and have done pretty well for the past six months without them. However, I'm facing a major hurdle that I can't seem to get over, and I'm hoping someone has specific advice or resources that talk about how to get past "What if..." thinking.

I'm not looking for information that defines what the problem is...I'm the poster child for it! :) Rather, I'm stuck and can't seem to get out/away from it. I'm so stuck that I haven't slept more than 6 hours in three days, and my chest constantly aches (but I'm certain it's not a heart attack....high blood pressure maybe, but not a heart attack). Here's the details:

I work in management and have been with the same government employer for 20 years. I've great job security and decent enough pay. But I have been unfulfilled at this job for several years now. For the past two years, I've sent out applications and was offered a position with a company two days ago. The new job has better benefits and pay than my government job, but has more potential stress involved. In the interview, they said, "you'll need to be thick skinned at times".

When I accepted the job, I was so excited. And for two weeks before the call, I prayed, hoped, and wished almost every moment that I'd get it. Immediately after we got off of the phone and ever since, I have been an absolute nervous wreck! Aside from chest discomfort and not being able to sleep, my head is just swirling with "what if" thoughts. E.g., "What if it's a bigger headache than what I have now?" "What if the staff are as contentious as they sound like they could be?" "I'm giving up 20 years seniority and moving my family. What if I relocate, disrupt their lives, and realize I'm even more unhappy? I will need to leave AND I will have lost my job with my last employer. You can't just get your job back in this economy." "What if this is a mistake?" "What if I'm unhappy or more unhappy than here?"

I tell myself, "This is wasted energy. Worrying about it won't change a thing." "You don't know for sure that this is what it will be like." "Stop thinking negatively", etc. I can "tell" myself these things until the cows come home, but I can not seem to shut if off! I'm really in need of suggestions for how to break the cycle. Have you ever had this happen to this degree? What did you do? I'm too distracted by them to meditate, and the relaxation exercises do work! But only while I'm doing them (and it's a battle to stop my mind from "What if'ing" during the relaxation).

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!!!! Sorry for the lengthy post.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”