Can't seem to stop my what if thoughts!

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
Saffie

Can't seem to stop my what if thoughts!

Post by Saffie » Thu May 12, 2011 11:56 am

For one reason or another my what if thoughts are my main problem. I am so in tuned with my bodily symptoms for anything. Like a perfect example was one day I was eating and some food got stuck in my wisdom tooth. I had tremendous discomfort and started what if-ing I started what if my tooth is infected, or if I have a serious cavity, what if I need a route canal, just all these thoughts started running through my mind. Then after about half hour of thinking I went to do my usual after eating which is floss and brush my teeth and sure enough as soon as I flossed the discomfort was gone. I know exactly what my problem is but I still what if no matter how much evidence is presented to me to be opposite of my negative what if's. Can anyone give me suggestions how they deal with these what if thoughts they are driving me up the wall.

colycole

Re: Can't seem to stop my what if thoughts!

Post by colycole » Fri May 13, 2011 11:24 am

I can relate. My anxiety and panic comes because I had a bad medical experience. This has made me to aware of every ache and pain. I create such what if thoughts that I become irritational and have severe anxiety and panic attacks. then this created a cycle of dizziness worry and dread. then it leads to social phobia cuz I think something is wrong with me and the what if something happens to me in public. I wish I had an answer. I am tired of being a prisoner in my ow body.

Saffie

Re: Can't seem to stop my what if thoughts!

Post by Saffie » Sat May 14, 2011 2:24 am

I really can relate and know what you are feeling. I too have had theses medical issues just today I went to see a doctor for digestive disorders and disesases. About 14 months ago I got so sick that anything I ate fruit, solid foods, even water would get me bloated. So bloated that I thought I was going to explode. It was so bad that it spiraled out of control I began what if
I die, bust a gut, have cancer. My Anxiety started to get worse. I too started to avoid public places because I was afraid I would get bloated and start to belch and would need to leave. Well after about 9 months and four different doctors they found parasites in my intestines. I was on antibiotics which I got to say I was very hesitant to take. I took them and about three weeks later after 9 months I finally felt some relief. Keep in mind in those months I lost 67 pounds and have become phobic to eat different foods because I don't want to feel bloated. Well two weeks ago I started feeling bloated again just like I did nine months ago. My doctor ordered a endoscopy. He also mentioned a colonoscopy and I said I need to think about that. Well this just adds more what if thoughts to my list.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”