I got the job!!

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
debilou2

Post by debilou2 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:52 pm

Hi I have just been hired for a new job. I went through the interview ok but now that that ihave the job the "what if " thinking is bothering me.What if I can't do the job., what if I embarrass myself, what if people don't like me and other thoughts. I have been doing the program for about 8 weeks now and do see some improvement.but the negative thoughts keep creeping back. this is the first time I have posted, can some one help me not to be afraid before i back out like I have done many times
I really want this job! thanks Debra

Faith_TX

Post by Faith_TX » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:25 pm

Hi debilou2:
First, you are so lucky you got the job!! Some of us are still looking! So congratulations.
I know what you mean about all the worries with a new job. I think most people have these worries but don't verbalize them.
I had these worries when I went into my internship. I was convinced I was not going to be liked, that I couldn't handle the job (it was a really good company and I was convinced that I was not good enough for that company), that everything was going to end badly, etc. Well it did not happen. In fact I got great reviews and I still keep in contact with some of the people I worked with (it has been several years now since I worked there and we still keep in touch and meet for lunch). So I am a living example that it does not have to be like that. There is hope. :D You can do it and yes there will be challenges along the way but you can make it through. You can't please everyone but there will be some who like you and think you do a good job if you are a consciencious worker. Have a little faith in yourself because, hey they hired you. Sounds like they see more in you, than you do ;) .
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
~~ Ronald Reagan

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:25 am

Dear Amethyst98,
Thank you for your positve encouraging words. You did put a smile on my face and I feel so much better now. You know you are so right. With the economy being so bad in the past year there have been so many people without jobs who are looking for work and still aren't able to find them. I am very grateful that I was chosen. I guess I was feeing sorry for myself which is being very negative.I start next week and in the meantime I will start using my positive talk again and realize that I can do this job! Thanks again. Debra

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:57 pm

You can do this. Don't let those negative thought take over your life. You have the power within to beat this condition.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:11 pm

I'm hoping to get a new job soon, and it would save me! I've been living off my father since I lost my last "real" job in August last year.

Maybe you guys can help me... or maybe this can help you, i don't know. The job I lost was my first real job as a teacher. I had my own classroom, finally, and I knew I would kick butt at it! I started worrying that I was "faking it." That I really couldn't do it and everyone was gonna find out. (This was before I ordered the program, btw.) I started having panic attacks and not sleeping. I was doping up on caffine to get through the day and I was seeing a doctor to increase my medication, even though I didn't want to. I was so worried I would screw up big. That's what I thought of when I read your post.

Well, with a combination of lack of support, purposeful misguidance, and my own stupid misguided decision, I was fired... from my first teaching position! And I graduated summa cum laude from a nationally accredited university! I was the best teacher I knew (first year, at least) and I got fired! I failed! But guess what? The world didn't end. My life didn't end. My CAREER didn't end. The worst thing I thought could have possibly happened actually happened! And I'm OK.

I wanted you to know that no matter what happens, and no matter who's fault it is, you'll be OK. Even if you think it's the end of the world, it's not. You'll live through it. I even plan to share the story with other first years later in my career. I know I'll be able to laugh about it then, because it'll be a story of triumph. And yours will too. Believe me. I've been there.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”