Keeping My Mind Present Centered

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
Paridygmn

Keeping My Mind Present Centered

Post by Paridygmn » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:22 pm

Listening to StressCenter session 8 I heard the mention of being a perfectionist and realized this is what I have been doing toward my career, and have not been producing as much as I could, and in some cases not at all. This is the reason I have been holding back on moving forward with my presentations.

I just realized why it is so important to keep your thoughts in the precious present moment, rather than the past or the future. If I am thinking in the past I can only harp on my guilty feelings and if I think just on the future I will be concentrating on my fears of what could happen. By keeping my mind on the present I can keep my mind on what I want and be more likely to get it, I will feel better about myself and project a better image to the world. There is a real conscious transition that has to take place for me to center my mind back on the present moment right after something happens that I do not feel good about; I have to recognize that I am thinking in the future or the past, realize I need to get my mind back to the present and make the leap back to the center.

I have heard many positive speakers say a person needs to keep their mind in the present and now that I have a better understanding of it, I realize when they say keep your mind on what you want, keeping your mind on what you desire and keeping it in the present are one state of mind. When I think to myself, what am I doing at this moment or what do I want at this very moment and make that thing I want something I envision I am doing or having at the moment, this is a very empowering way to approach life.

Paridygmn

Paisleegreen

Re: Keeping My Mind Present Centered

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue May 31, 2011 1:52 am

Paryidym--This is an excellent posting! :D Great thought and idea about staying in the present and yet working on goals at the same time. This helps to not feel anguish from the past and gives hope for the future! Super Post! Paislee :mrgreen:

Ottoman

Post by Ottoman » Tue May 31, 2011 10:22 am

that is a great post - I seem to struggle with this even though I know that keeping in the present is the only way to achieve peace of mind. C.S. Lewis wrote that he belives the present is the only point at which the spiritual and the physical are one. This really had a huge impact on me as my life long goal has been to be at peace.

Do you have other ways that will help one stay in the present?

That is the critical point from which I seem to continuously drift.

James

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue May 31, 2011 3:18 pm

Wow, I like what C.S. Lewis says! All I know is that it is a mental task to stay in the present. Prayer, I guess would be one way. I'm wondering if the computer though is keeping us in the present but not productive in getting some things done that would make us feel better.

Another present is being with people physically in a productive manner, not like some teenagers taking drugs or drinking alcohol, because they are probably not wanting to be in the present but are trying to escape. :P

It does seem to be a fine line from present thinking and What if thinking. Because we have to think about the future to get some things done, but I guess to obsess over the future and think negatively is what brings on the panicky feelings. Where is the magic balance to feel enough energy to get moving, but not too much to cause anxiety symptoms? Paislee :mrgreen:

Wendy F

Post by Wendy F » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:45 pm

I'm so glad to read these posts! I'm having some crazy stuff going on at work right now, with my boss telling us all how much harder we'll have to start working, and have been "what if"-ing for a while. My anxiety is pretty bad right now. Constantly reminding myself to live ONLY in the present calms me down. I can't predict or control what will happen, so wasting my thoughts on that stuff NOW is useless. Thanks so much for the very necessary reminder!

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”