Afraid to be home alone!!

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
ambug14

Afraid to be home alone!!

Post by ambug14 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:35 am

Hi i havent talked to a few people about this but alot of people just tell me im crazy... there is something about being alone in a house that relly bothers me.. does anyone else feel this way?

iloveporsche

Re: Afraid to be home alone!!

Post by iloveporsche » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:23 pm

Oh yeah... I can remember from way back being afraid by myself. I always had these weird feelings some one was going to attack me or whatever. I freaked out over hearing sounds and noises and I had to sleep with all the lights on and things like that. I used to get these strange sensations of being watched... now I am better but I still think about the fear...

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:43 pm

Oh, I get that way too. More so when I was experiencing Panic Attacks or high anxiety. I make sure I lock my doors and keep lights on. I don't live alone, but not everyone is at home at the same time. They are always coming and going so I never know if they are going to lock up or not. They don't seem to be worried, but then they are guys. ;) Paislee :mrgreen:

Nanner823

Post by Nanner823 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:25 am

I am too! I even look out to see if ANYONE is home around me, at night is the worst. I want to feel like a grown up because I am but how shameful when I have to ask someone to come over because I am too scared at night. I have done it literally had to take a half of my ativan and call another person over. I can't overcome the thoughts once I am too far into it.

Pauly J

Post by Pauly J » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:58 am

I felt afraid to be home alone once before, but not no more! I guess you really need to ask why you fear this! For me, it was the thought of something happening to me while being home alone, with nobody around to help me if I was to collapse or faint! I no longer have this fear!

pauly j

shtrap

Post by shtrap » Sat May 07, 2011 9:56 pm

I have this fear!! It is one of my worst fears! My husband works nights some and I am so scared I get my mom to stay with me. I fear this because I am scared something will happen to me and no one will be here to help me. I have a 4 year old and I am scared something will happen to me and no one will be here with him or to help me. I get soooo anxious and I swear I make myself have body symptoms and stress and major anxiety!!!

tonydlykins

Post by tonydlykins » Mon May 09, 2011 12:20 pm

I get that way too. I seem to be afraid to be by myself or even with my five year old at home alone. I fear that what if I need to go to the hospital or if something happens what will happen to my child, what will I do with her? I am still in the phase of having an attack now. This is the first attack that I have had in a few weeks. When these attacks come on everyone seems to think they can not take it anymore, including me. But they pass, even if it seems like they never will.

ms2ndchance

Post by ms2ndchance » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:17 pm

I feel the exact same way when I am home alone. I sometimes have to call a friend over because that's how scared I am. And do not let it be raining i'm even more frantic. Just know that you are not alone and the feeling will eventually pass.

Frances2

Post by Frances2 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Yes, I fear being alone. I cannot be relaxed playing the relaxation tape. I find I am home more because I am doing the PROGRAM. I have been on my own for years. I have 4 relationships and figured that was the answer. Then I have a suit in the basement of my home and I have women for tennants and I would get close to them. So I was never alone. But that didnt work vecause they ended up being pushers, and thats not good. So know I just noticed I had this on positive thinking and I would like to share it with you and I am going to work on it. WHATS POSITIVE ABOUT VEING ALONEI I am my own boss, I like that, I am in charge, I like that. I like my own compamy. I am fun, When I am alone I decide now I will spend my time.. i LIKE THAT. i CAN ENTERTAIN MYSELF. I am capable of relaxing in myh alone time. I am good company, I like being in charge.

chris001

Post by chris001 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:19 pm

If there was someone there with you, would they be able to protect you? One Night I woke up seeing a dim light under my bed room door. It seemed brighter at times and then it would get very dim again. I was affraid someone was walking around the house with a flash light. My husband was sound asleep snoring away and I knew if I woke him up he would make noise so I didn't bother him. Finally, I got up the nerve to get out of bed and investigate the "light". What I found was my young son looking into the oven glass door with the light on. When he moved away from the oven door the light was brighter. He was a sleep walker and in his sleep he was playing with the oven light, turning it off and on at times.

So much for having protection with another person in the house. I have lived alone since 1986 now. I don't advertise that I live alone. I make sure all the doors are locked and I keep a small night light on in the kitchen so the house is never totally dark. I make sure my blinds are closed when I undress and lock my bedroom door. I don't worry about someone coming in. It's not that I live in a great area, but I think robbers would rather rob a home with no one home. I'm 65 and it's worked for me so far. The worry serves no purpose.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”