Afraid to be home alone!!

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
Paisleegreen

Re: Afraid to be home alone!!

Post by Paisleegreen » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:42 pm

That is a funny story about your son. I agree, my DH snores as well, so he wouldn't hear anything. I always wonder if leaving a light on is a good idea or not, b/c you know your house better than the burglar.

I don't mind being alone, but not totally alone. If I know my son or DH is going to be home later or other family members are close by I fee better. But I really have noticed it more as my children have left home and I had to put my dog to sleep. Cats are not any help. I have good neighbors nearby, but there is one I sometimes worry about the friends they have. Otherwise, I'm not as fearful as I was when my anxiety was high. Still I am not looking forward to living totally alone. I guess I will gradually get use to it or something. Paislee :mrgreen:

asammy

Post by asammy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:09 am

You are definitely not alone! My soon-to-be husband just started working night shifts and I never realized how scared I was of being home alone at night! It's definitely opened up a whole other anxiety thing for me to work on but each night I find myself getting better. Listening to the Relaxation Tapes right before going to bed helps and it definitely gives you practice on staying in the moment and not focusing on the what if thoughts. Mine are usually something along the lines of "what if someone breaks in?" "what if i cant defend myself" "what if i die" etc. and I have to realize that they are catastrophizing thoughts and really check myself. I encourage you to try and reassure yourself next time you're alone and I will be keeping you in my prayers!

barefoot

Post by barefoot » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:24 pm

YES!! I had fear of being alone so bad, I made everyone around me miserable asking them to stay with me. My fear was that something medically would happen - This goes back to my mother being alone after my father passed away and having a stroke and was not found until the next day....I feared this would happen to me. This time last year, I was so afraid that I took a part time job at a hospital so I would be where I could get help if needed. Not any more thanks to this program. Hang in there - it does work!

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”