Still am scared of panic

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
lizikins

Post by lizikins » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:28 am

So my biggest problem has been and still is being scared of my panic attacks and nervous feelings. I keep trying to tell myself to underreact and not be afraid, but it still scares me. I have a major issue with driving, I can't seem to drive longer then 8 minutes, because I don't want to get panicky.
I got off my medicine a month ago, paxil cr, and I can't seem to get myself together. I don't want to go on medication again though because I want to do this myself!
Any advice?

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:05 am

If you can remind yourself that "adrenalin will not hurt you" and invite those scary feelings in and even telling "them" to squirt that adrenalin as much as it wants, you will be on the right path to healing. Yup - it is scary but only because you have been telling yourself this for so long. Now you're going to begin to tell yourself that you know there is nothing to be afraid of. You won't die. You can handle it. Bring it on, and when you are going through an attack use your breath work. First, put that stop sign up, then calm breath (whatever that is for you - it could be breathe in slowly, hold for 4 and breathe out slowly) and then do attention shifting. (ie: hum, sing, whistle, count backwards, focus on something instead of your scary thoughts). Actually, when you put yourself in situations that cause anxiety (and using your tools mentioned above) you will begin to experience anxiety less and less. I'm not saying you will never have it again, but it will decrease, and to the point where if it happens - fine - you know you can handle it. You don't let it hold you back from living.

I know. You don't want to experience the feeling. But that is exactly how you get over them. When you resist them they stay or come often. When you allow them they become less and less.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:01 am

Lizikins, have you considered what expectations you are placing on yourself by going off your meds at this point in the program?
I'm on meds myself and long to be off them. I 1/2 tab and on good days think I might try getting by without one. Then I get so focused on the body symptoms and not taking a pill that I can easily get obsessive and need to take the pill. My point: Take it easy on yourself. I've decided to trust that when the time is right and I have adequate program tools and some victories under my belt, I'll know when I'm ready and can try to wean off my meds then. You're a very determined person. I hope this helps.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”