looking for new job

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:41 pm

I'm looking for a job. Boss is retiring and I've been in current job 14 years. Since I found out I have to get a new job I'm just anxious and nervous all the time 24/7. Its been months feeling this way, anticipation of a new job. Will I ever stop feeling this way if I finally get a new job, realize I can do it, and feel comfortable? Then do you think this anxity will start to go away?
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

TomS

Post by TomS » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:41 am

Hi Rose,

Saw your post and thought it was interesting becasue I would like to get a new job. I am in an unhealthy boss environment. A lot of undue stress and negative thinking. But, as far as you are concerned, maybe you want to look at this as a HUGE opportunity :). Lessen you anxiety by making a list of all the things you could do for a living that you might enjoy. You may find that you were just comfortable for the past 14 years, but not truly enjoying everything about your job. Maybe it's time to do your own thing, depending on your income needs. You certainly have proved your longevity...you should have no problem finding another job. But, I would really look at this as a growing adventure. Try new things really search around for something that "lights your up". I think your anxiety will diminish if you approach it that way. Take time to realx and you that relaxation CD. The more calm inside you are the easier it becomes to think creatively.

All the best,
Tom S.

Kita

Post by Kita » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:34 am

I'm in the same situation, i 've been looking for a job for months. The anxiety builds up each time i apply myself, but the results are nothing.I keep trying to remain positive because i know something good will come from this eventually. You'll stop feeling this way as soon as you get it. Keep faith :p
SHAKITA

mary lu

Post by mary lu » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:43 pm

Hi I am also looking for a new job. I worked at the same place for 27 years (started at 16) and was fired because the boss was having a bad day. I was a very dedicated employee and felt like part of the family that I worked for. I was told that they were making an example out of me; that if they would get rid of me everyone else better watch out. Nice, huh? This was the most hurtful thing anyone has ever done to me and is the cause of my depression and anxiety. I have never worked any where else and staring over somewhere else just puts me in a panic. I don't think I am smart enough and I am afraid of failing. I try to tell myself that you don't have to know everything the first day that you start, but I new everything about the last job that I had that I felt in control. Now I have to start over and am so afraid. Just can't shake the anxious feelings that I am having. Anyone have any suggestions? Mary Lu

kntrykutie

Post by kntrykutie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:55 am

First: Realize that everyone who is faced with the prospect of finding or starting a new job will face at least some anxiety and fear of the unknown.
Second: Believe in yourself, practive positive self-talk, pray for God's guidance and strength, and stop the "what if" thinking. Make time for Lucinda's program and the relaxation CD every day.
Third: Make a list of everything you dislike about your current job and replace that list with a list of ways your life is going to improve when you land a new job.
Fourth: Set a goal of doing at least one thing each day (or week) that improves your chances of finding a new job and actually do it.
Fifth: Take care of yourself during this time of transition. Eat healthier, get more exercise, take vitamins, take breaks at work, plan fun things to do in your "off" time, funnel some of your anxiety into doing something creative, take naps, enjoy your family and pets, take a bubble bath, read inspiring books and watch positive programming--I stopped watching the news entirely.

I am in the process of changing jobs, too. I've spent the last two months interviewing (it was awful but I lived through it!) and just accepted a new position yesterday. I was an anxious mess when I first started my job search as I was also very comfortable in my old job--but my boss was making me miserable. Once I got out there and started taking steps forward my anxiety level decreased. I used all the tools I just mentioned to help ease my anxiety. It worked for me! Good luck!!!!

mary lu

Post by mary lu » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:23 pm

Thanks fot the tips and the encouragement. They are greatly appreciated and make a lot of sense. God bless and good luck with the new job.
Mary Lu

Dawne

Post by Dawne » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:25 am

hello kntry,
i just read your advice to mary lu, i appreciate the tips. i too am looking for a new job. have been looking for a long time i actually want to move from boston to miami. its been difficult because i have never done an internet job search before i don't really know how to do it well i have gone to the library and been looking on the larger job boards (career builder etc.) i will make use of your tips and keep trying, thanks. God's blessings to you and best wishes to mary lu as well.

rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:11 pm

Wanted to update as I had started this tread so long ago.

I did start a new job 8 months ago. I had horrible anxiety the first few months. After 14 years at the old job it was rough to start over. But I have begun to feel more comfortable at the new job. I found that it took months to mourn my old job and to accept the change. But it is getting better each month. I still have some anxiety, but nothing like it was in the beginning. Best of luck to you all.
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”