Anyone else been here?

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
Diggy

Post by Diggy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:38 pm

Sometimes when i read an article in the paper or magazine i ponder on it for hours on what if that happens to me or what if i do that. For example i read an article in the newspaper about a man who had planned to kill his wife and had his girlfriend do it. So i start worrying about it like what if that happens to me, or on the news the women who killed her 4 kids because they demons. It just doesn't sit right with me, how do people do these things, and how do they get to that point........and i start to worry could i get there too ? So far i haev been doing great, its my monthly week and i find i am more anxious than usual which could be a reason not to watch news and read paper.

Denny4

Post by Denny4 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:03 pm

Diggy, hang tough. I have been through many strange thoughts. Please realize that it is part of the human mind to ponder these things. The fact that you are aware how terrible these events are will keep you from ever having to stop yourself. I have stopped reading the paper and watching to much television because it is so negative. The news has always had a generous amount of negative news, but it is off the charts in this internet age.

Please try to focus on what makes you happy. You are doing the right thing by being out here. There is comfort in numbers and we can watch out for you.

I you want to read the paper then start at the commics first it could change your outlook before looking at the bad news.

God Bless

misserna

Post by misserna » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:08 pm

Diggy . I think it would be a good Idea to not watch regular T.V. After my husband died and i went into my anxiety I couldn't watch ant t.v or read the daily paper. I have Sky Anget sattelite and I watch their religious station and the have Hallmark shows which are always very nice . They have 2 Seventh Day Adventist stations which I find very interesting. I enjoy Bible study

bevhembree

Post by bevhembree » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:22 pm

Lucinda talks about having these same exact thoughts in several of the tapes. She says if you are scared of doing that, you're not going to do it. Sounds simple, but it's true. It helps me when I have those thoughts to ask God to take them from me. I say that repeatedly as long as I have to.
No, you won't ever get there. You are on the road to recovery. Instead of thinking "could I do that?" focus your energy on praying for those people you see on the news.
And you can always turn the tv off. I watch old comedy reruns most of the time. Have a funny movie or two handy. The news isn't the only thing on.
Good luck to you. bev
"Here and happy because of my three little angels- Marie, Chad and Cady."

Diggy

Post by Diggy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:21 am

Thank you all for responding. I will take your advice and stay away from the News and Newspaper, at least for now while i am still recovering. God Bless

jrbegel

Post by jrbegel » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:12 am

Hi, I'm JR I got this program about 6 weeks ago and I'm just getting to week 4 5 in program .I will be leaving to go to Iraq in about 12 days or so and i am so afraid that i will lose control i need this job. I can't take anixety meds with me there But i can take the tapes. I came home in Oct. because my husband continued to tell me things were wrong at home and i had a major attack there.please someone help.

Diggy

Post by Diggy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:51 am

I must say you have every right to feel anxious, having to go to Iraq. I give you a lot of credit, that must be very hard. Was there really problems at home? Do you have children you are leaving? I don't think you will lose your mind. How long will you be in Iraq this time? Just stay focused on the tapes and books, and try and think positive for when you will be home again. Maybe create a post on this and see if there are any other people in program that are going to Iraq or just returned, i think that would be best advice as I can not speak on that... since I have never been in a situation like yours. But trust in god and you will be fine. Many blessings.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”