my days feel unrealistic

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
jcjb07

Post by jcjb07 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:41 am

I have a great life but lately my panic attacks and anxiety are getting worse. I got to the point where I totally thought I was going crazy. I was laying in bed not able to sleep and I seen the commercial for this program so I am going to try it out, but just one question...it sounds like everyone has the same problems with panic attacks and the thoughts of dying but here lately when I'm at home with my boyfriend I have been out of it. He can tell something is wrong becauase I don't talk much but it is so hard to explain. I kind of feel like I'm on the outside looking in out what is going on but I don't always feel like I'm actually there. It is so weird and it scares me. It makes me feel like I'm going crazy. Of course I'm here but I don't know why I keep zoning out. I think it might just be all the negative thoughts and I make myself think the worst but how do I make it stop?

Ethans Mommy!

Post by Ethans Mommy! » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:07 am

The spacey disoriented feeling is common with anxiety. I have it alot of the time and the same thing as for my boyfriend he knows when I am anxious because he can be talking directly to me and I will be looking past him and don't know what he is even saying. I am to busy concentrating on the way I feel to pay attention.It is scary but it is all anxiety and when you accept the feeling it won't scare you. You can go about your business feeling spacey and for me the feeling goes away.

jmm84

Post by jmm84 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:59 am

See...I have this problem too (I think), but I wouldn't call mine feeling "spacey." I just feel like I'm not myself. Like I'm not here or something. The word "spacey" makes me think that you're out of it...but mine doesn't feel like that. It's so hard to explain what it feels like. And mine doesn't go away. It will be here EVERYDAY ALL DAY. It was like that for almost a year...then it went away for almost a year...and now it's been back since December. It freaks me out because I don't think it's that "spacey" feeling Lucinda talks about. I don't know...It's different. But so hard to put my finger on to explain. I feel like I'm detached from everything almost...I guess..I feel like that doesn't even quite explain it. It makes me worry that I have some other disorder too :roll:. I don't even know what to do with myself. I do the program, but it doesn't make it go away. It makes the physical body symptoms go away, but not this weird feeling and all the weird thoughts. Can anyone relate???

irish89

Post by irish89 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:09 am

jmm84:

What you are describing is "depersonalization" rather than spacey or unreal feelings. The spacey and unreal feelings can happen during a panic attack due to all the hormones and changes in blood flows. Depersonalization is a side product of anxiety in many people. We all know what anxiety is....many people with panic or anxiety focus on the past, the "real me" or "how I used to be". Do this often enough and the "current real you" starts to not be you in your mind's eye. Still with me? It is similar to your brain being trained to be afraid of something with an anxiety disorder which doesn't go away until you break the conditioning. Depersonalization is similar...you've told yourself so often that you don't feel like yourself that your brain thinks it too! Just like with telling you your physical symptoms aren't harmful in anxiety and they eventually stop being important and the worry goes away, you need to constantly force yourself to stay in the present. You are you, it is just that the current you has some anxiety issues....issues that are no big deal and that you are working through. But you are you and when you feel a bit depersonalized remind yourself of this, think of something fun you recently did, talk to someone to prove you are real, etc. etc. With practice, this goes away along with anxiety. You can find yourself again!!!

Kimby

Post by Kimby » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:13 am

I actually asked a similar question about this feeling today. I feel out of it, like i'm not really here, or even a little dizzy at times and my boyfriend will be talking and i just feel weird and i dont respond back to him because all im thinking about is the way im feeling and im wondering if he notices. It very frustrating for me because its been this way for a few months, well, since i had a bad panic attack and it really hasnt went away. I try to just go with it and go on with my business but its hard not to think about it and i seem to worry about this all the time now and it puts me in a irritated mood because i feel out if it. I just dont know how not to think about it, but i did feel better knowing that others have similar feelings as me

jcjb07

Post by jcjb07 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:59 pm

That made me feel a little better. I kept thinking I was the only one feeling this way and it scares me. I try n fight it and it helps sometimes but then time will pass and I will go right back to it. It's so hard to explain how I feel so it is nice to hear people that can relate. Hearing about the depersonalization helps I will keep that in mind and try to change my mind from thinking that way it just seems impossible sometimes. I feel like I will never be the same again.

irish89

Post by irish89 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:52 pm

Depersonalization is just a trick of the mind....you've told it enough times that this can't be happening to you that it is now responding if this isn't you. Simply one day saying "I can ignore this" won't stop it....you have to keep saying it and break the conditioning. I can assure you that you are quite real as I have now responded to you twice....I typically don't talk to people who aren't there....therefore, I assure you that you are quite real. Welcome back to the first step in being you again!!! Keep at it...I'm not saying I know it all or it is easy. I am still working on practicing what I preach on some issues. But trust me, you are quite real! Do I look like I would lie to you? : )

jcjb07

Post by jcjb07 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:38 am

:) thank you! that feels great to hear. im starting to feel a little better already.

dpprone24/7

Post by dpprone24/7 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:51 am

omg i have had this weird depersonalization feeling for almost a year, ive always had really bad anxiety and use to get really bad panic attacks but now the only thing that cause my anxiety is this weird out of body experience, i also think about it constantly, and honestly believe i might be going crazy, cause i feel like this 24/7

Hiram

Post by Hiram » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:40 am

Hey,

There is a thread here called depersonalization/derealization (http://bbs.stresscenter.com/eve/forums/ ... 5961035164). You can read a lot there about people (like myself) who have experienced this or are still experiencing it. The reason I'm pointing you to that thread is because I think it's helpful for people to get as much information on a given topic from one place.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”