What If...

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
Laura R_1

Post by Laura R_1 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:27 am

I guess, that, what if thinking is a bad habit. This is where most of my anticipatory anxiety comes from. I hve a habit of thinking the worst scenario and just build on it! The bottom line is that it is crucial to break the habit. It is then, that peace will be found. iI personally struggle on a daily basis. Some days are better than others. I do find that the program is working.

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:58 pm

What if thinking for me is a vicous cycle and I too like yourself am trying to stop it. worse than stopping smoking or caffiene!

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Boy, I was just patting myself on the back for not using "What If" thinking (I've just started lesson two) when having a conversation about my path for the future I started discovering all kinds what ifs regarding various options. I may have a problem with burying my issues so completely that I put off buying this program for a few years--because I, heh-heh, didn't need it. I have to go watch the session one DVD again to see what other symptoms "I don't have" that will surface as I face this.

Carolyn Dickman

Post by Carolyn Dickman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:32 am

What if tthinking is treacherous, to say the least. I am thinking about my trip that I just had and feel a little anxious. Which gives me the sensation of not being able to breathe. Then I think what if I can not breathe? When I stop and refocus on something else I stop feeling this way.. What I ahve is anticipatory anxiety. I guess I just have to pinpoint what is bothering meplus the fact that it also excitement. SOme days will be better. It is a vicious cycle that can be broken.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:49 am

Along with expectations this is another lesson I need to spend considerable time on. I what if everything. I am trying to work on it but it is difficult. It's worse to me than giving up caffeine.

I spend my time what if-ing more in the past than the present. I cannot believe the time I have spent spinning my wheels over things that happened in the past but I add the "what if" it happened my imagined way. I can definitely relate where it says in the homework that our body doesn't know the difference between reality vs. imagination. I don't think I could feel any worse if it did happen the what -if way because I am usually exhausted/anxious after worrying about it.

It's a bad habit I need to break but as I know from the program its worth pursing.
Take care and God Bless.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:20 pm

Laura R

What-if thinking is neither good or bad by itself. It can lead to feelings of unhappiness or happiness depending on the way you use it. I wouldn't disregard it altogether.

We what-if think in order to protect us from feeling pain and this mechanism is not a bad one. It is a normal part of survival. Unfortunately we can take it too far which is often the case with anxiety.

Another way to use it is in the way of positivity. What-if I practiced using the relaxation cd everyday for 2 months? What will that do for me?

What-if I actually ingrained in my head that anxiety cannot hurt me?

You could use the what-ifs as great tools. Actually you could use questions as great tools as well.

Mike

Vegasmomof4

Post by Vegasmomof4 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:48 am

Im stuck on the what ifs whats the best way to stop?

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”