WORRIED ABOUT HAVING A PANIC ATTACK.

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
chrissyfree

Post by chrissyfree » Fri May 04, 2007 3:14 pm

hello everyone, I have been feeling a little unsure as to my recent what if thinking. I have been through the program about a year ago, but i have had this constant thinking of "what if i have a panic attack when I get there ". The attack happened on 3 occasions, this left me a little worried, I need some advice on what to do when challenged by negative thinking.

thank-you.
ewere

Post by Guest » Fri May 04, 2007 5:46 pm

im only 5 weeks in the program and i have thoughts like that still

the thing that helps me is my outlook on it I.E>
"so what if i have one , I wont pass out , go crazy etc . "

Or " at best it can only make me feel uncomfortable

like lucinda said " I can still go about by business felling spaced out "

and sometimes i just refuse to let myself start having anticipatory anxiety , as soon as i have the thought i block it with two words that have had a huge impact lately - especially with negative thoughts , they are " next subject "

Post by Guest » Fri May 04, 2007 6:41 pm

Hi Freaked out, I can relate and I too am on my 5th week of the program. I have scarey thoughts and panic attacks on the freeways and it is very hard because I always have to pull over, I feel like I am going to lose control. Little by little small increments of progress are being made. I WILL stick to it and continue to use the positive affirmations, positive self-talk and maybe I will now try singing to see what happens. I think I might even try an audio book or comedy , COMEDY ON a DVD MAY help me. Good luck to you. I am happy you are seeing improvements!!

Jason_NM

Post by Jason_NM » Sat May 05, 2007 6:20 pm

Hi Chrissy,
The what if thinking is so debilitating, I know. Try to do what Lucinda suggested - replace the scary what if's with positive, comforting ones. For example, "what if I have a panic attack in front of someone?" Replace this thought with, "so what if I do? I will tell the person to excuse me for a moment, I have to go to the ladies' room." Try this everytime those nasty what if's start creeping in.

I'm in the what if state of mind myself this weekend. I'm returning to work on Monday (just part-time) and the what if's are swimming in my mind. But I've vowed to try some positive what if's, like "what if my first day back goes really well?" "What if I continue to get stronger because I keep challenging myself?" "What if I do so well working part-time, I'm able to return to work full-time?" See what I mean? If your mind is still giving you a hard time, state the positive what if's out loud!

Be good to yourself,
Lisa :)

cfe

Post by cfe » Mon May 07, 2007 8:41 am

hi lisa and freak out, I am taking each advice into use......I definately need to constantly keep practicing, I have decided to go over lesson 2, 3, 4 , 8 and 10,those chapters help out a great deal. we are all going to get through this I believe and God bless u all.

good luck.
Cheri {8^) keep looking up ~!~ BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY LET IN THE LIGHT

'Never allow someone to be your Priority while allowing yourself to be their Option'.
"What you are is God's gift to you, and what you do with what you are is your gift to God" Too Blessed to be Stressed!!! May Grace and Mercy be multiplied to you.

Lord Help me to Finish Strong - COLOSSIANS 1:10-12

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%207&version=AMP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DasqYiQK7HQ

Mom of 6

Post by Mom of 6 » Tue May 15, 2007 12:23 pm

Hi chrissyfree. Lucinda says somewhere in lesson 8 that if you are still worried about having a panic attack then you really don't believe that a panic attack can not hurt you. Remember that a panic attack can not hurt you!! Also, go over lesson 2 again, I think it'll help you a lot.
"O God, you are my God. Earnestly I seek you;my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is BETTER than life,my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name, I will lift up my hands." Psalms 63

Post by Guest » Tue May 15, 2007 2:03 pm

Hello -

I recently came across some great advice on panic attacks. The only thing that keeps them coming is our "fear" of them. A panic attack cannot exist if you are not afraid of them. The advice to dare the panic or anxiety to come. Say to yourself come on now panic give me your best!! Make my day!! Do you know what is going to happen? Nothing....Panic won't come if you invite it. It only comes when you fear it and struggle to stop it. Try daring it to come and a wonderful thing will happen. It be gone instantly. I've been working with this the last couple of days and I can't believe how much better I feel.

I hope this helps you as much as it has helped me.

Take Care... :)

SeaRunner

Post by SeaRunner » Fri May 18, 2007 6:36 am

That is what I have posted too on different forums. I have found that when I FACE panic head on..what is the WORST that can happen? Either you become a victim to your own fears or you beat them. Personally, I am SICK AND TIRED of not living and I think that is all of our common fear..NOT LIVING RIGHT? So how are we REALLY living by not leaving our homes, afraid to have a panic attack so we dont put ourselves in situations that make us scared, etc? We arent living..its only existing. Heck..everytime I beat a new fear ...and I can smile and rejoice that I did it...I beat it..THAT IS LIVING!
"Common things occur commonly. Uncommon things don't. Therefore, when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." -- C.J. Peters

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:29 pm

well, I am a free lance photographer..and i just recently about a year developed this panic attack crap..and im sick of it...i now have limitations, and i have to be around a safe person and facing it does help...but i am sick of tired of facing it daily...

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:06 am

Joseph, "good for you" for seeking answers. I hope you find the inner peace that the program lead me to. I hope you will keep us posted as you go through the sessions.

It takes time to calm down through the relaxation exercise and physical exercise. It takes practice to learn the six steps. (KEY) It takes self-honesty to go through the sessions 4-15 as they help us explore basic life skills that perhaps we didn't get growing up.

The journey is worth it! Keep us posted, C.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”