antibiotics makin me worse?

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
mack

Post by mack » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:10 am

I need some advice here. I've been anxious as hell lately due to a relationship ending and being sick, but now that I've gone on Augmentin (a form of penicillin) it feels like my anxiety is worse. I'm more spacey and jittery. Has anyone had these symptoms with antibiotics and do you think I should try something else.

Admin_1

Post by Admin_1 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:37 pm

Mack, best suggestion would be to talk with your doctor about the antibiotics you are currently taking. Ask him or even your pharmacist about the side effects of it.

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:39 pm

mack

I'm not a doctor and so I cannot give you that kind of credible advice. I have however been trained in western medicine and I gave give you my opinion. Unfortunately there are drugs out there that help us which have side effects but luckily antibiotics aren't suggested to be taken over long periods of time. I agree with what Admin says with talking to your doctor and I definately advice you keep up with the penicillin as bacterial conditions can be very serious! I'm also assuming that since you're on these forums that you have some hard to maintain anxiety. This can supress your immune system and I really feel that right now you need to use whatever it is that will help you and afterwards you can work more on rebuilding it.

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

Ocean

Post by Ocean » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:17 am

Hi Mack,
I'm not sure why you are on the antibiotics (what infection you have), BUT I wanted to throw something out here. Have you ever been tested for Lyme Disease, or have any of they symptoms?

I 'thought' I just had anxiety that would come and go for the past 12 years. I just found out that I have had Lyme for the past 12 years. Lyme Disease, it's much more common than people think. I never saw the tick or the rash, but I started getting panic attacks in 1996 and I'd never had one. Then I started sleeping a lot and felt like I was going to die, had muscle twitches, a lot of trouble swallowing.

I found out that Lyme causes panic attacks, I just met a guy on lyme.net who also thought he just had panic/anxiety for 18 years, nope just found out he has Lyme.

Anyhow, when someone with Lyme takes antibiotics, they feel worse, often very anxious, feel like they have the flu, ect because it is killing off the spirochete bacteria and as it dies, it emits a neurotoxin causing the anxiety.

I think there are many people who have anxiety that actually have Lyme, many of us on the Lyme boards think so too.

Just throwing this out as a possibility.

Take care,
Ocean

jmgarnet76

Post by jmgarnet76 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:35 am

Ocean, I don't know if you are still here ... but I wanted to agree with you on the Lyme Disease stuff.

I was also undiagnosed for 12 years.

Ammy

Post by Ammy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:27 am

I have using antibiotic gel to treat acne. I have to know antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections. I've been Clindamycin 150MG for severe acne. It prevents the growth of bacteria on the skin.

Bob-o Bingo

Post by Bob-o Bingo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:29 am

I don't know the answer to this question, but Wikipedia probably has an idea or two. Just Google your med, along with the words side effects, and you'll get many pages of info and you'll be in the know. Good luck!

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”