fear of running

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
gidge980

Post by gidge980 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:29 am

I have just listened to session 8 and some points really hit home. One in particular was that we may experience some anxiety during events where we experienced anxiety before. I am an active person - I go to the gym regularly and work out pretty hard. One thing I'd really like to get back into is running, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I must have experienced anxiety during a previous run because when I finished it took hours to get my heart rate back down to normal (it was hanging in the 70's and 80s when it should be around 60). The very next time I ran, the same thing happened. I tried one more time recently, and again, the same thing happened. It's such a scary feeling having my heart at an abnormal rate, so I"ve just given up running. I am, however, able to exercise on all the cardio machines at the gym, so I know it probably isn't health related. Has anyone else experienced this while running or exercising? I'd love to know so I can feel better.

h.beth

Post by h.beth » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:05 am

I used to be an avid runner and I never checked my pulse and I am wondering why you are doing that. 70 or 80 is not going to hurt you. Eventually your pulse will calm down and your resting pulse will normalize, but stop checking your pulse and making it an issue. The fact that you are concerned about your pulse is very likely why it remains higher for a longer period of time. There is always tension and stress with worry and it would be natural for your pulse to stay higher than usual. But 70 or 80 is certainly not alarming.

Stop checking and enjoy your run.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi Gidge:

I have to agree with Boon and let you know that a heart rate in the 70's and 80's is actually normal. I'm a nurse and I can tell you for sure...medically speaking....that there a lots of healthy people walking around with a heart rate of 80 and more and it's just them. Yes, a heart rate in the 60's is great, but so is one in the 70's and 80's. I work out every day and sometimes when I'm feeling anxious, my heart rate can stay in the high 80's for the entire day...where when I'm resting and calm, my baseline is low 70's and sometimes in the 60's. Your heart rate and blood pressure are continueously changing all day and responding to all sorts of stimuli and relaxation. If you are healthy and it sounds like you are, your heart rate can take some fluxuations.

I'm with Boon on this one..."stop checking and enjoy and your run"!

Good Luck.

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:16 am

Thanks for the advice. To answer your question, Boon: I normally do not check my pulse, but after I would finish my cool-down walk post-run, I would still be really out of breath. I went inside to sit down and stretch and try to take deep breaths, but I couldn't. I felt really uncomfortable. After anhour of trying to catch my breath, I checked my pulse. But I guess you're right, once I check it I just keep worrying why it's so high and that must keep it elevated. I've always been healthy, ran competitively all through school and know that my resting heart rate is normally around 62-64. I think I just got scared and worried when my heart wasn't behaving like it usually does. I guess anything related to my heart just freaks me out when it isn't functioing the way I think it should. Anywa, thanks Sidd for your medical expertise. I won't feel so worried now when my heart rate elevates. I didn't know that was ok for your heart to stay at a higher rate for a long period of time (mine goes up for an entire day sometimes, too). Thanks again! I'm going to take Lucinda's advice from session 8 and try running again ona day that I am feeling rested and positive, and I won't plan it either. No time to start worrying.

oktobefree

Re: fear of running

Post by oktobefree » Wed May 25, 2011 12:49 pm

I'd just like to know how to get out the front door and start running!

Shooglenifty

Re: fear of running

Post by Shooglenifty » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:18 pm

Don't run. Don't even plan to run. Just put your running shoes on, walk outside, then come back in, take them off, and be done for the day. Tomorrow, do the same thing. I promise, I know of what I speak ... ;)

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”