unempoyed.........

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
Leslie Ann

Post by Leslie Ann » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:59 am

I am having the worst anxiety and depression there could possible be. First of all, I am Bi-polar so I am on medication. I was laid off the beginning of March 2008. Even though I have a college degree in Art Ed (there are no jobs in that field, budget cuts) I have no skills. I am in computer school now to learn excel,word,office,etc. But the economy is so bad rigght now and I am constantly hearing on the news of all the job cutbacks I am so afraid of not finding a job because of all the competition. I am over 50 as well. I don't know what to do. I have no network. And why should someone hire me when there are literally thousands out there looking with more experience. I never worked full time, I was married and we moved alot. Now I am single, over 50 and inexperienced. Also alot of the jobs available pay 9-12 dollars an hour. I can'tlive off of that and don't suggest a room mate. I am off the charts with stress,deppresion,anxiety, i.e scared to death. Anyone in a similiar situation, if you are married don't answer , you have a backup.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:52 am

Well, I guess I am in a similar situation. I am out of work also and single and educated. I quit my job in mid April to look for better work and because the situation was bad and I felt it would only get worse. I was getting more and more anxious and depressed. I wish I had some of the skills we are learning in the program.
We each have advantages and disadvantages to our situations. Do you have any friends or family you are close too? I have a couple.
I cannot recieve unemployment and the money is about to run out. I am hoping to get some temp work at least. I took a test at Office Team and I did not think my typing or data entry would be good. They said my results were not so great but I should be able to do any job they can find.
I was trying to get into an accelerated certification program to teach Business Education in high school but no success yet and I wonder if I can cope with all the changes that would bring.
So, I am just trying to take things one day at a time (such a cliche right?). I am working on session 5 and I wonder where the money will come from to make the payments. I did get them cut in half by prolonging the payment period.
I have unemployed several times in my life and yet here I am still alive today. When I was 30, I lost my dream job. It had turned into a nightmare though. Looking back, I think they meant to use me for a few months and then help me transfer, but I did not see that and I was too proud to transfer (who knows if they had a spot anyway). I had a roommate and lots of friends at church and my parents were still alive, but I got depressed and it took a toll on my self esteem. Things changed and I got better, but I never really dealt with my issues. Now, with God's help, I am fighting my low self image and my fears. We are not alone. There are many people here in the program who have many of the issues we face and some even worse.
So, I applaud you for taking the computer classs and for sharing your fears and worries in the forum. Let's focus on the positives and look for better days. I wish I could help more.
Best wishes and hang in there.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:59 am

thank you for your input.isn't it terrible to have college degrees and not be able to find a job. ?

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:23 am

I'm over 50 and divorced and have supported myself for quite awhile now. I took an early retirement from State service and had been looking for part time work and it took awhile but I did find some. Learning MS Office programs is incredibly easy and can't figure out for the life of me why companies make a big deal about this, as it is so easy to learn. It's fact and reality that we need to keep updated on these skills if we want to continue working these days. You're not inexperienced, as you said you had been working part time. Don't ignore the transferrable skills you have from whatever job you worked at. I learned to put together a resume that listed these transferrable skills and brought them up in interviews. Try to tell yourself that someone would want to hire you and list the reasons. This comes across very well in an interview. It's scary for everyone right now and I know when you first start looking it seems there are only $10.00 an hour jobs available. Don't get discouraged. I'm assuming you can collect unemployment?? What about temporary agencies. Have you contacted any? My neighbor was laid off at the age of 58 and she worked a long time with a temporary agency.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:24 am

Well I'm married but also wouldn't have the bills we have if I wasn't. And I quit a great job in my field to move for my husband's job. I was unemployed all of last year and after 3 years, finally got a full time job. Though it is not in my field and I'm very overqualified for it. Isn't accepting a job for $9-12/hr better than not having a job at all? After not working for a year, I finally got a part time, minimum wage job at our library and got 2 calls for jobs within 2 months. I am pretty sure my degree hurt me alot last year. I was almost to the point of taking it off my resume so maybe I'd at least get an interview. I also think attitude can have alot to do with it. And if you can't find anything at all, have you tried volunteering? It might get you some networking, which was alot of the problem I've had in my area. And have you looked out of state? Alot of my teacher friends have had much better luck looking across the country instead of staying in Michigan. Try and stay positive and redo the program if you need to.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:31 am

Hi SCDon...I think I might have ran into you in a chat room last night. I think I mentioned something about taking off of work. I can really relate to what you are going through. I also got better only doing a few sessions, and stopped doing the program for a while. I am only now realizing that I didn't treat the real issues of why I have panic attacks. I can go literally almost a year without having any type of 7-8-9-10 level of anxious episode...but it somehow comes back to haunt me. I now realized that I have not changed nearly enough...and am completely recommited to changing who I am. I also definately realize that I need God's help...so many of the answers to our problems can be solved through relationship with God, but I have always been to stubborn to commit my life to him. Best of luck...hope to hear back from you guys.

P.S I also have an Ed. degree...taught on a temporary contract in the spring semester this year...went ok...never had to leave that job because of anxiety. Wierd eh? The job I want to leave now is only my summer job.

change

Post by change » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:12 am

So, how are we doing now that the economy is even worse and it might get worse before it gets better?
I have been delivering pizza since July and getting about 20 hours a week. Tips can make hourly pay between $12-15. My car was totaled in late August and I got some money from their insurance.
No real leads on full time work right now.
Best wishes to you all during the holidays.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”