Need some help..I am emetophobic

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
thepunkrockgirl

Post by thepunkrockgirl » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:30 am

I am bipolar and have major anxiety issues. I have many phobias as well and one of them is emetophobia (the fear of vomiting). I feel crazy for even writing this because no one around me really understands why I feel the way I do about this subject. My husband tries but he usually ends up getting frustrated with me and I feel bad about that. Well here is my latest instance of panic. Yesterday I bought a krispey kreme doughnut from the convenience store. They are shipped there from a nearby town (we don't have a krispey kreme store here) and sold at various stores around town. At this store I went to, they are sold in a display case where you pick out your own doughnuts. I love krispey kremes so I picked a couple out for my husband and one for me. I have purchased doughnuts from this store several times. For some reason after I ate it this morning I couldn't help but panic and wonder "what if someone who was sick touched that doughnut before me?!" Either before or after it was shipped to the store. I have been worried about it all morning and afraid that for the next three days I will be panicking over it. Sounds pretty trivial, I know, but it's really getting to me and I am scared. Anyone else ever get like this? Am I being silly for worrying about this? I really would like some help or advice...any support. I am desperate. Thank you for reading.

-Jenny

Karmomma4

Post by Karmomma4 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:45 am

Sorry you are having such a hard time with this. I have a fear of vomitting, too. But worrying about it is only going to keep you thinking about it. Im sure the doughnuts were fine. This could happen with anything you eat so just choose your food (and stores)carefully, eat, and enjoy. If anything comes of it at least you wont have spent all that valuable time worrying about it. Pray about the safety of your food as well. It is comforting.

Have a great day and not another thought about that stinkin doughnut!
~~*Karla*~~

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:48 am

Hi Jenny,

I won't say I fear vomiting but will do almost anything to not vomit...it's not a pleasant occurance by any means for most people I'm sure.

My advice to you comes from many years of learning...Worrying about anything does not stop the problem especially after the fact...you ate the donut and likely you will not get sick from it but worrying and getting upset about this will not change anything so why not just try to focus on anything positive and put up a big STOP SIGN in your mind about the donut. You can do this...it works for all kinds of negative thinking if you keep practicing. Find all thoughts and scenes that bring you comfort and feelings of peace...whatever works for you to make you feel everything but worry and negativity. Watch a funny movie!!

Wishing you a good day. :)

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:51 am

Thank you so much for responding. I am new to this message board and your words of support have really helped. Sometimes I feel like I am going crazy and just need a little reassurance. Thanks!

TakFyrir

Re: Need some help..I am emetophobic

Post by TakFyrir » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:28 am

Hi Jenny (I'm Jenny, too!)

Welcome to the board and so sorry to hear you are struggling a bit. Good thing is, we're all here for you and a lot of us have been where you are!

I have suffered from emetophobia since I was a kid, maybe 8 years old, and it's been quite a ride and I can confidently say I am no longer with this phobia! First off, you are not going crazy, if anything you are going sane. You are just very hyper-aware of your surroundings and this causes a lot of anxiety, as you know! You're fears are realistic to be honest - what needs to change is the way you react to these thoughts. You have to get to a point where you can say, okay, so what. So what if someone who touched that donut was sick. So what if I get a little sick and throw up, I've thrown up before and it didn't kill me! Yeah, it was uncomfortable but it's my body's way of helping me out, helping me get rid of the germ.

I know, this doesn't sound comforting. But it's one of the big steps towards recovery from this aggravating phobia. And let me tell you, I had this phobia to a nuclear degree. I would avoid going to restaurants for fear of vomiting, I wouldn't eat as much as I should or even wanted - during my worst bout I lost twn pounds, all from anticipatory anxiety.

And you know what. I've never thrown up once. It's been 14 years and still no throwing up.

It is a very scary thing, to have cyclical thoughts like that. It makes you feel helpless but you can take control by challenging that fear - it's the only way we can defeat them. You've got to say, so what? Bring it on!

This IS easier said than done, but my friend, you can do it. Many of us have been there, I have been there, and recovery and life without fear of vomiting is VERY possible. It will be uncomfortable and scary in the beginning but that's because you are rewriting your thought processes. This is no easy work, but in the end, it is very worth it.

You can do it, and remember, we are all here for you!

- Fy

Paisleegreen

Re: Need some help..I am emetophobic

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:04 pm

Wow, I don't know what emetophobic is, but I have had the anxiety of just what punk girl had to say about the donuts. Man, did I have fear of germs at my sister's house when I visited a few months ago. She has several children and the kitchen isn't clean all the time and there are crumbs, etc. I had a lot of anxiety at the time and was concerned about if they washed their hands, how clean the dishes were, everything drove me crazy!

I was upsetting my sister, but I was hyper vigilant about what was clean and not clean. I'm doing better with it but still have my days. Ugh. Paislee

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”