What Are YOUR "What-ifs?"

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
Silviab

Post by Silviab » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:19 am

I had cancer last summer. I keep thinking
what if it comes back, what if I leave my
daughter, what if I can never relocate like I had planned to. My other what if's are what if I can't conquer this fear and depression.

Silvia

AnnetteW

Post by AnnetteW » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:48 am

Hello Silviab

I am sorry to hear that you have had to experiance cancer, you didn't mention what kind you had or what treatment you had. It sounds like they got rid of it, is that true?
Also what part of the program are you at? If you haven't listened to the one about "Put a end to the what if thinking" maybe it would be a good time for you to listen to it.

Also I don't know how much you know about Carolyn Dickman but she had somewhat the simular thing happen to her. I can tell you that she will talk to you via email.....and maybe you should talk to her. She is a wonderful lady with good intelligence. Her address is carolyn@stresscenter.com

Also, there is 2 verses that I would like to share with you if you don't mind.
Proverbs 3:5-6

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And lean not on your own understanding;

6 in all your ways acknowledge him,
And he will make your paths straight.

and

2 Timothy 1:7
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of
power and of love and of a sound mind."

Please stay in touch with me and let me know how you are doing.
Annette

Silviab

Post by Silviab » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:17 am

Hi Annette,

Thank you for your kind message. I printed
the verses and appreciate them.

I had kidney cancer last year. They caught it early and they removed my kidney. I am just so scared of the disease returning. My scan in March was clear. God was good to me.

My anxiety reached to a point where I started
taking Celexa 5 weeks ago. It is making me feel just awful. I shake from head to toe, especially in the morning when I wake.

I don't know Carolyn Dickman. A lady called me from StressCenter and asked if I would want individual counseling. But it was over $2,100 and I can't afford that.

Thank you for your message. I was so sad today and your words helped me.

Please let me know how you are also.

My daughter, 20, has always wanted to visit Texas. We live in California.

Silvia

AnnetteW

Post by AnnetteW » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:36 am

You are most welcome, and I understand the cost limits. I too am at my limits of funding. I would be more than happy to be a person you can talk to anytime, and I am at no cost. I just feel it is my way of helping someone. Carolyn Dickman works for the program. If you are doing the Stress program she is one of the ones in the group sessions. you also can find her on the forum also. She has helped me more than once and written to me also.

We have a friend that just had the same thing as you, his was completely contained in the area and that he wouldn't need additional treatment either. Also my brother in law had the same thing about a year ago and he has done wonderful with no sign of cancer. I just spoke with him and he is feeling wonderful, just careful of salt intake and what he drinks alot of is green tea. The doctor reccommmended it to him.

Have a blessed day.
Annette

Silviab

Post by Silviab » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:14 am

Hi Annette,

Hearing your positive stories makes me feel very hopeful. Thank you. I have had a phobia about cancer for a long while. I am glad to hear that your friend and brother in law are doing well. That is wonderful.

I asked to see a dietician, but my HMO said no.

I don't know how much salt, protein, etc., is safe for one kidney. I no longer drink coffee,
drink tea and I have never smoked and don't drink alcohol. I no longer eat meat, just fish.

Do you know how much protein or salt is safe for someone with one kidney?

I'd love to keep writing.

Thank you so much Annette.

Silvia

AnnetteW

Post by AnnetteW » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:47 am

I really don't know about how much is safe. I will do some looking also, and I will ask them about that also. Did you doc tell you anything about it? We have HMO also..........they are interesting aren't they. I would think that you still need some protien. I know that Red beans is a good replacement. Neither one of them mention limiting their meats.
Annette

AnnetteW

Post by AnnetteW » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:02 am

I just found these sites on a web search and they might help you. It is:
Where can I get more information?
You should speak to your doctor and the health care team at your treatment center. You can also get more information from the following organizations:

National Cancer Institute toll-free at 1-800-4-CANCER (1-800-422-6237) or online at <A HREF="http://cancer.gov" TARGET=_blank>http://cancer.gov</A>
National Kidney and Urologic Disease Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC), a service of the National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Call toll-free at 1-800-891-5390 or visit the Web site at <A HREF="http://www.niddk.nih.gov" TARGET=_blank>www.niddk.nih.gov</A>

from what find protien is important even after the loss of a kidney
Annette

AnnetteW

Post by AnnetteW » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:04 am

I just found these sites on a web search and they might help you. It is:
Where can I get more information?
You should speak to your doctor and the health care team at your treatment center. You can also get more information from the following organizations:

National Cancer Institute toll-free at 1-800-4-CANCER (1-800-422-6237) or online at <A HREF="http://cancer.gov" TARGET=_blank>http://cancer.gov</A>
National Kidney and Urologic Disease Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC), a service of the National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Call toll-free at 1-800-891-5390 or visit the Web site at <A HREF="http://www.niddk.nih.gov" TARGET=_blank>www.niddk.nih.gov</A>

from what find protien is important even after the loss of a kidney
Annette

Silviab

Post by Silviab » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:02 pm

Thank you Annette. I'm sorry I couldn't
reply until now.

I wrote to the National Kidney Foundation
and am waiting to hear. My HMO turned down
my request to see a nutritionist.

Your brother in law's doctor mentioned
green tea. I drink that too. I just am not
sure of how much salt, etc., is safe.

Thank you so much.

Silvia

kjenkins

Post by kjenkins » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:12 pm

i have one major "what if" and that is:

what if the people i love have been lying to me the whole time i've know them?

they have never given me reason to think so, but i often think that everyone around me is lying to me. and that i am going to find out by reading emails or hearing things from other people.

sometimes i even go to great lengths to find out they are lying. i will really abuse boundaries and realistic thinking to find a lie. lies i've never found.

once again, this really hasn't ever happened to me (well one time it did) but i don't trust anyone so i always ask "what if" and it is ruining so many relationships in my life.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”