What Are YOUR "What-ifs?"

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
waterfriend

Post by waterfriend » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:01 am

Nice Snauzersmom.
Unfortuately my negative thoughts out way my positive thoughts a million to one. It is like i cant help it.

What if .. i feel this way forever.
what if .. i have soemthing more wrong with me.
what if .. my heart exlpodes.
what if.. my heartburn is more than heartburn.
what if .. this pain in my chest is a heart attack.
what if .. i die and my sone finds me.
what if .. i never find inner peace.
what if .. i die of a broken heart.
what if .. i exercise and have a heart attack.
what if .. something bad happens, in general..

I hate these thoughts and I try so hard to tell my self these are only thoughts..but the more i argue with myself the more real they become.
As with many people in this forum, I have had alot of test and all comes back anxiety related.
Anxiety has f\hpysiaclly effected me no matter what the doctors say..i have gained 60 lbs in a year and i feel like crap everyday of my life.

~*schnauzermom*~

Post by ~*schnauzermom*~ » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:09 am

{{{Waterfriend}}}

I know, I have been there myself. I never thought I would live again. I thought I was stuck in this home forever, stuck feeling like crap 24/7!

Here are some that I rebuttled your megatives, maybe can help you have a positive light to them.

What if this is only temporary, you do not feel this way forever and there are bigger and brighter things out there for you? ;)

what if you do not have something wrong with you? what if it was anxiety? you can learn the skills and overcome this! ;)

what if your heart does not explode, it is just beating with excitement?

what if you modified you diet and beverage intake, maybe took an antacid (if you can per your doctor) and it WAS ONLY heartburn? (I was able to get control of my heartburn, I do not take anything for it anymore!)

what if your son runs into your room and awakes you with his smiling face and gives you a great, big , warm hug? :D

what if you FOUND inner peace? how would that change you? make you a better/different, more positive person? (write those attributes down and read them as a reminder daily!)

what if you find the absolute LOVE of your life?

what if you excercise and PREVENT a heart attack by taking steps to keep yourself healthy?

so what if something happens? the world goes round and round, so many things happen, great, good, not so good, sad...it will ALL happen no matter what we do, think, say...try to embrace all the good you have, all the good that comes to you. The bad, well realize that nothing is perfect and sometimes things happen that we do not like. We just have to TRY to find the good in it, if there is nothing good about it, accept it for what it is as we cannot alter it. I pray, I talk to God, I journal, I try to write my feelings about it out, good or bad.

You will find inner peace, I know you will. ;) Find contenment within yourself as you will not find it outside of you. You are a sweet person and deserve so much. God Bless you!

Take care!
LizB
"Afterall, everybody only hears what he understands." by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

AnnieG

Post by AnnieG » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:55 am

My worst "What ifs" used to be:

What if I don't sleep tonight?

What if I fall asleep while driving to work because I don't sleep tonight?

What if I pass out in front of my students?

What if I have the one panic attack that I can't control or get over?

Now that I've completed the program, I don't have these nearly as much. I've learned to change them into positives. Such as:

"Okay, if I don't sleep, I'll just be sleepy tomorrow. I've worked with little sleep lots and lots of times, and I know I can do it."
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

~*schnauzermom*~

Post by ~*schnauzermom*~ » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:56 am

Momo and Micki,

Thanks to you both! You are kind. We all learn from one another. :D

Annie G,
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7
I LOVE IT! Thanks for reminding me!
"Afterall, everybody only hears what he understands." by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:24 am

This is a good thread. I like the positive what-ifs. I like how your turning them around schnauzermom. I can relate to some of the whatives I have delt with alot of them but i relate to waterfriend's first 1.
what if i feel this way forever?
what if I never have enough energy to do the things i want?
what if I can never care about what goes on in others lives again?
what if i can only think of myself forever and nobody else?
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

Mrs Bungle

Post by Mrs Bungle » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:43 am

Hey ~*schnauzermom*~ I jsut wanted to tell you that i think its really great that you went to all the effort of going through the posts and giving positive sides to those whatif sentences..

you didnt have to do that, and its personally good and gives (me persnally) ideas of things to contradict whatif thinking with.. so THANKS haha

Barb G.

Post by Barb G. » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:23 am

Great thread! I was just feeling better reading other threads and then I read some of these and started thinking the bad "what ifs" again. I read Mellos and Liz B's and I will still get my yucky ones off my chest but I'll turn them around. Thank you! :D

What if my husband doesn't stop his complaining and I have to keep living my life this way.....What if I keep a smile on my face and could be happy in spite of circumstances
What if the took away this website...what if I got to meet some of the wonderful people on here and got to be person to person or telephone friends
What if my anxiety never goes away...what if it gets less and less and I'm able to help more and more people because of my own struggles.
what if it stays such a dreary day...what if the sun does come out and its great or i could have a wonderful day no matter what the weather.Hey! I like those what ifs. Thanks and lets turn them around. Happy Day to all of you. Keep smiling. If you don't feel like smiling, hold a pencil in your mouth. I was told it gets the endorphins going. :) :cool:

clara j

Post by clara j » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:40 am

Well, here it goes

What if...Iran gets the bomb?
What if...an insane hate filled group who ever
they maybe uses the bomb? After all,
one bomb on U.S. soil will be enough
to do the world a ton of damage.
What if...there is an all out civil war in the
Middle East?
What if...we are not successful in defeating
this growing menance?
Does my children have a future?
Will they beforced to wear the burka?
What if...the fundamental Christian right con-
tinues on their campaign to help bring
about "the rapture"? You know, help
God along.

~*schnauzermom*~

Post by ~*schnauzermom*~ » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:20 pm

What IF Iran does get the bomb? There is really nothing "we" personally can do to stop this. It is beyond the regular persons control. What IF we stopped worrying about this, and thought about our own action or inaction towards our fellow human beings. What IF we are more helpful, kind, compassionate and understanding towards others around us? What IF what something we CAN do DOES make a difference for a person like volunteering time? Donating food and clothing, some time in a homeless shelter or soup kitchen? Donating money to your local school so that a child would be have the school supplies they need? Thinking and being able to do, to make a difference in peoples lives will give not only them hope, but YOU too. If feels great to share and to be able to really make a difference in someones life.

What IF you stop worrying about your childrens future and LIVE with your children in the present. Leave that fear because you cannot control this menace and growing issues in our world today. Spend that time with your children, love them and live life with them. Experience the freedoms you DO have, enjoy the librares, zoos...laugh with them, share your memories with them, show them how much you love them. They will cherish those memories later in life. My step daughter is 19, and she loves them good times we had when she was growing up.
The TIME you cultivate with your children now is priceless!

What IF you instilled your moral and beleif system wirh your children? NO ONE can take that away! NO ONE! That is sewn and grown in the heart, mind and soul. It matters not what anyone shouts at them, they will beleive what is true for them. :)

Jod

Post by Jod » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:15 am

I have just ordered the package - haven't received it yet. I have been dealing w/ this for 3 years now. I am a mother of 2 (4 & 8), wife of 12 years and a community leader. Until I can start the program, please tell me how I can get these what if thoughts out of my head. Every morning they start all over. Some days are worse than others. But I must keep going w/ my day. So many people rely on me. PLEASE give me some ideas to help get through this.
My biggest what if is what if I die...and no one is around...my husband can not raise my kiddo's on his own...who will help???

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”