could be rational...

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
KDlady

Post by KDlady » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:00 pm

What if I develop clinical depression?

This is my biggest what-if thought. When I feel down about the anxiety challenges I have, I get more nervous about this what-if.

I tell myself "it's just a thought and doesn't scare me anymore; the less attention I give it, the less affected I'll be"
Is this good? Any other suggestions?

michelle bond

Post by michelle bond » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:22 pm

ok, this is a techinique that works for me:
- instead of dwelling in your thoughts, judging them and analyzing them just say to yourself:
' i AM HAVING THE THOUGHT THAT.... (in your case say it: Im having the thought that I might develop clinical depression)

If we keep arguing with your thoughts they will always come to bother us. If you simply acknowlege them and diffuse from them they will come less and less. Sometimes will be easy, sometimes it will be hard.

Acknowledge they are just thoughts. Thoughts are just a string of words. They are not real. They are just a string of words from our mind.

One thing we have to accept is that we cannot control our thoughts. They will always exist and sometimes they are good and sometimes they are bad. We have to learn to live with them. So instead of declaring war to them by judging them, trying to prove them wrong, getting annoyed just let them be there. And do the diffusion thing by telling yourself they are JUST THOUGHTS.

You can find more techniques in a book called: the happiness trap.

The one I mentioned before is the one that works best for me but there is another 4-5 techiniques that you can use

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”