Still What-Ifing

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
Inside Man

Post by Inside Man » Fri May 02, 2008 5:48 am

Hello Everyone,
I'm on Session 8 and I have been doing good up till now. My wife and I are planning on going to the beach so we decided to start tanning. So we're going to this tanning place. We've been going for a few weeks now. Then yesterday I was having some anxiety again from over thinking and over analyzing stuff in general. I know you would think I would learn by now (lol) and right when I got in the room I started to have anxiety and panic. What if I bug out right here and just become like...DUH and can't go on and do what I am there for? How ironic is this? I'm on Session 8...What If Thinking. I pushed on anyway and tried to use my skills, 2-4 breathing, and positive self talk. Maybe I didn't try hard enough. I couldn't do it. So I pushed on still. Went and got in the tanning bed and in the past while in the bed I've used my skills but this time they did not work for me. When normally I would have enjoyed tanning instead I layed there having anxiety and dreading the experience. I have been practicing my 2-4 breathing and postive dialogue whether I am having anxiety or not so it can become second nature to me. My question is...Can you over use the skills to the point that they are not effective?

Also maybe someone can read this and see where I'm going wrong. I'm too close to see.

All my best,
Inside Man :cool:

Bakedpears

Post by Bakedpears » Fri May 02, 2008 5:56 am

I think that you need to relax more and have more faith in yourself and your abilities. Just let go and float and don't forget to enjoy the moment.

Post by Guest » Fri May 02, 2008 6:13 am

Hey, you just had a day that you experienced a little growth spurt, or setback or whatever you choose to call it. Really not a big deal. we've all had those times, moments, or days.
No , we can't over use these skills.
Just keep practicing and they will become second nature to you. Now and then we may need a refresher course, but we are human.
By the way, good for you!!!
A couple of years ago I would have come leaping out of that tanning bed, got dressed in a split second and ran out of there. :) Yep, that was me. The fountain of panic attacks.
You actually stayed put and finished tanning. Much stronger than you think you are!
Enjoy your time at the beach!!! I love the sand and sea air and the tranquility of listening to the ocean.
Stop being so tough on yourself.
Whenever you get a chance, in the car, at home...
take out session #3 and listen to it until it's a part of you.

Forward!!!
God bless and hugs.

natalief

Post by natalief » Fri May 02, 2008 6:21 am

I agree with Cindylu - at Session 8 the same thing happened to me. It was like - what's happening? It's just what she said - we have growth spurts and just when we don't think we should be - we do - thats the progress part of the Program. It scared me a little, but each victory, no matter how large or small, is sweet. Be kind to yourself and enjoy the present moment.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”