The thought of "Going Crazy"

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
vdv

Post by vdv » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:01 am

I feel the same way sometimes. There are times that I just want to run away. I would just drive and drive until I couldn't drive anymore! I feel like I am just outside of my body and looking in. I want to scream, but I have to hold it in until I'm alone. I have to stay tensed up because I will lose it any minute!
I guess I will have to chip away at it until I can deal with it. At least that's what I am going to try to do...

Craw

Post by Craw » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:57 pm

Lucie..Sounds like you are afraid to let go of the control issue...My motto is...Let go, and let God...Don't try and force yourself to fall asleep...Just allow yourself to do it...You are NOT going to get up in your sleep and go anywhere..That is just a "scary thought" and you are just scaring yourself with that thought...
You need to learn how to trust yourself. It also sounds like you are "obsessing" over your scaring thoughts, and doing the "what if" thinking...
I suggest you work on these skills in your program, until you get them down pact...
I do not believe for one minute, that you have multiple personality disorder. God Bless!!!!
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
~John F. Kennedy

rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:52 am

This is an obsessive scary thought. Lesson 10 will deal with it if you have not gotten there yet. I've had this same obsessive scary thought. Trying to talk yourself out of obsessive scary thoughts does not work, you need to learn to ignore the thought by accepting it. It does no good to go around in circles trying to rationalize with it. Instead, just be determined to believe it to just be an object, seperate from you, just a thought, seperate it from you. Even imagine it as a seperate object, outside of your brain & body, if that helps.

What really worked for me was learning to accept the thought,

-notice it was there
-awknowledge it was a scary thought and my mind was using it was a distraction
-tell myself it is okay to have the thought, "its just a thought and it -can't hurt me."
-Then do something else, cook dinner, laundry, clean the bathroom, call a friend, etc.
-Accept that the thought was still there while I was doing the task, but remind myself that it was just a thought.

This process is a learned response and did not work overnight, but with persisitance it worked for me. I learned to get the thought and then react by saying "oh, theres that thought, so what, time to move on." I honestly never thought they would stop. It took a long time, like a over a year. And then one day I got it and realized I had not had it in months. I also listened to the lesson 10 a couple of hundred times, just to reassure myself.

You will get over this, I had every scary thought you can imagine. But my worst ones involved my mind. For example, I'm going crazy, I'm psychotic, I'm bi-polar, etc. The truth is they were all just distractions from what was really going on in my life and once I delt with that the scary thoughts stopped. Be patient, this condition can be overcome!
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

NYC27

Post by NYC27 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:42 pm

Rose_Thorn98 is absolutely correct. The only thing you can do is accept the scary thought and relax towards it, not tense up when it comes. Remind yourself that it is anxiety and then move on and distract yourself with doing something else. Accept it- don't run from it. IN this way it loses it's power over you. And another good point rose_thorn mentioned is listening to Obsessive scary thoughts CD every single day until you get it. Just keep listening to it until you get it- but most of all, do not run from it-tell yourself "it's just my anxiety" and it will deflate the obsessive scary thought. .. . . It worked for me. ..

Good Luck and God Bless...

LauraleeJade

Post by LauraleeJade » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:17 pm

Wow it seems like I am reading my own diary I am scared all the time scared of going crazy scared of losing control scared to take meds scared of mental illnesses scared of my thoughts scared I am going to lose my self scared to be alone just scared scared scared and I hate it so much I am so scared sometimes I think I am going crazy from being too scared or not being able to cope with this feeling its hard but I know I will get through this like everyone else will.

Steph2u17

Post by Steph2u17 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:41 am

Im so happy i read this today because sometimes i feel so alone. Im 23yrs old and I've been battling depression and anxiety since 19yrs old and it hasn't been easy. I just want to live my life and have a good state of mind and my mental health, but its so hard for me. Im constantly battling the "Im going to go crazy thoughts." It really taunts me and plays with my head. I start continiously repeating my name in my mind, then i start to think next you'll have hallunication. How do i stop my mind from playing tricks on me? And stop getting scared when the thoughts come to mind? My biggest problem is just realizing it's just a thought and that it may not come true.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”