The thought of "Going Crazy"

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
Weregoingtomakeit

Post by Weregoingtomakeit » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:22 pm

Is there anyone else out there that cant seem to get over the "I think Im going crazy" part?? I mean, I know I get those thoughts when I am exhausted and stressed out...those seem to be the hard days. But, even though I know better, the thoughts keep coming! I hate it!!
The doctors tried all kinds of meds, its all in my head....as Lucinda says, I do it to myself. If there is anyone out there that has figured out a specific positive self talk statement or anything else that helped them, please share!!!

Staying Positive

Post by Staying Positive » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:02 am

I've never had the thoughts that I'm going crazy, but I have had the thought that I'm dying and it was in my head as you descibed, so gosh darn persistant. The best thing that I could do at first was to completely get my mind on something else. Put in a good movie, especially comedy. Not only will you be focused on the film but you'll be laughing and smiling as well and this helps. Try getting an inspiration book and taking it out whenever and try to focus on what you're reading, I mean really be there. Then sooner or later when you've gotten your grip on it, you're gonna have to accept the thought. Like Lucinda says, "well, okay, so I'm going nuts. What does that mean? What will happen if I go nuts? What's the worst thing that will happen if I go nuts?" Then ask yourself all those same questions and add completely silly answers to them. "so what's the worst thing that will happen if I go nuts?' " Well, I might run around the mall in an tarzan outfit, and act like a monkey" You get the point. You're suppose to do this over and over. Do you have the program? This sort of help has helped me with the dying thoughts, I'm not afraid of dying almost at all anymore. And I don't think about hardly ever. Good luck to you. Also, put in Lucinda's relaxation tape whenever these thoughts come and you can't break them. And listen to other relaxing music and the like. Pick up a book and concetrate, Battlefield of the Mind, The Quiet Mind, What to Say When You Talk To Yourself- or anything that you know will grab your attention!

bevhembree

Post by bevhembree » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:18 am

Lately all I think is that I'm going crazy. Over and over it's "something is wrong wtih my brain!" It's probably focusing on the negative- if I took them away, I won't have any left! LOL.
I've just got to come out of this. I don't think people or I can stand this anymore. I feel so helpless and hopeless all the time.
"Here and happy because of my three little angels- Marie, Chad and Cady."

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:31 am

Dear Bev:
I am sorry that you feel so badly!

I think you are going to be okay. Of course you are not going crazy. You are just freightened of your feelings.
Feelings can lie, you know.

In fact when you have anxiety, feelings lie most of the time!

Today, while your mom is there, draw yourself a warm, not hot, bath. Light a candle if you have one, and dim the light if you can. And rest in that warm water.
While doing that talk to yourself.
Say: "I am okay. I am calm and at peace.
I will trust in a God that I can understand.
The God that is greater than me is taking my fears. I release my fear to that Power. I am calm. I will rest my mind now".

Be blessed! I will pray for you off and on throughout the day.
May you find comfort and peace!!
MaryJane

JpHobo

Post by JpHobo » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:15 pm

WereGTMI,
I agree with the previous posts and it has been my experience too, that when I get to a point where I can think I am going crazy, " hey I'm overwhelmed ,tired ,need sleep, rest, or something along those lines. Time for the relaxation tape ."

Michael John

Post by Michael John » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:09 am

Yes, this is my one constant fear that seems to alway be present. Had my first anxiety attack at 18, and felt like I was going insane and the feelings to a lesser or greater degree have stayed with me ever since. Over the years, my anxiety has morphed to certain objects, colors, etc., but the absolute knee shaking anxiety is the fear of going insane. Only followed by fear of death and dying like Staying Positive posted. Then the thoughts are what is life, why am I here and the circle of anxiety begins again. My imagination even takes me into a locked facility, etc. As others have indicated, I will look up the symptoms of some serious psy. disorder and convince myself that I have the symptoms. Then wait for the voices, etc. Have not started yet. I remember on one of the tapes that someone would take a longer road just to avoid a mental hospital. Yes indeed. No easy answers here, except that you are not alone and though I constantly worry about my sanity, have been worring about it all my adult life and seem to be ok so far. While I know it is a real waste of time and regret the same, cannot seem to move beyond this fear. It does take the wind out of my sail everytime it comes and it comes almost daily, but I recognize that it is anxiety and only anxiety. I am trying to replace the negative thinking with a comforting thought that my inner child is just reacting to a fear and that it will pass like it always does. Keep us posted and if others have suggestions, I too would really welcome some thoughts as this is what brought me to the program Best

KRISTEN

Post by KRISTEN » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:07 pm

:) The thought of going crazy is VERY typical for anxiety sufferers. Take it from an old timer whose been there thousands of times.
Your not crazy and you wont go crazy either
even when your at your wits end with this crap
God ALWAYS reels you back in.

bevhembree

Post by bevhembree » Thu May 01, 2008 5:25 pm

Cornflower,
The bath was a wonderful idea. I got myself together with my mom here- got over that going crazy feeling. I am so fortunate to have someone who will drop everything and drive 4 hours because I need them to be with me b/c of my fears. I pray that's a rare occurance, but it's nice to know that you can count on someone, like I can count on all of you to be there with support and kind words when the chips are down. Thank the Lord!
"Here and happy because of my three little angels- Marie, Chad and Cady."

Christian73

Post by Christian73 » Mon May 05, 2008 2:16 am

I have this, too. It comes and goes, sometimes hanging around for a few days. I agree with the poster who said you should see that as an indication that it's time to up your relaxation exercises and find some time to chill.

I don't know if this will help but folks who are really losing their minds, don't think they are. My best friend has bipolar disorder and a few years ago, before she was diagnosed, she went into a prolonged manic episode that resulted in her becoming delusional for a while. While she was delusional, she didn't think she was going crazy, because she believed her delusions. Now, she does worry that she might return to that state, but is getting the help to prevent it.

My point is that even as she was descending into delusion, she didn't think "I'm going crazy. I'm becoming delusional," because she was doing both.
"You don't have to believe everything you think."

Bumper sticker in my therapist's office

neverdefeated

Post by neverdefeated » Thu May 29, 2008 12:30 pm

Hello
Yes. I have those thoughts and they can be persistent as well as irritatig. They have been in and out my mind for the last 4 years. Today I went to see my primary care doctor and i was prescribed seroquel. This is to stop racing thoughts and help aid in repairing serotonin and dopamine in the brain. I dont know if it will help but i am praying it will. My advice to you is to stay strong. Dont accept the thoughts as your own. The conditin brings it on. God has a purpose for your life and it is not to go crazy. This is only a condition like any other. It seems scarey because it is not a physical condition where you can see it get better. In this case we have rely on our inner strength, love our self, educate ourselves and have peace knowing God will never let you be defeated. I guarantee you, you will come out on top.
God has never lost a battle and He will show you how to manage and manuever through the changes. I am with you, praying for you and i know you are a winner. Just Watch and See.
God Bless you and strengthen you.

Rose

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”