Comfortable traveling

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
Carolyn Dickman

Post by Carolyn Dickman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:28 am

I am in SC for a month - lucky me. It was chilly but warming up this weekend. This morning I answered a question from a program participant...she wanted to know if there was a CD directed at travel anxiety. I know this is a problem for many and thought I'd post my response and ask all of you to add your own hints and helps:

A,-I am sure that one day she will do one on travel...but it will be based on lesson 2,3, and 8 for the most part. When we get right down to it-whatever the avoidance/anxiety is focused on is addressed in the same way. For a quick fix (long fix is to do the whole program) you might try teaching them the 6 steps on the flash card for lesson 2, and have them listen and do the reading and written work with lesson 3, same with 8.

When they design their positive inner dialog it might look something like this: "There is no danger. There is no emergency. I am a very capable person. I can choose to relax while traveling. I am never alone-I am always here for me no matter where I am. I am my safe person. I am my safe place. There is no danger. There is no emergency." Every time they get a Twinge of anxiety when thinking about the trip they need to repeat the above or something like it.

Convey the truth-the feelings will not stop, the thoughts will not stop but they will gradually become less and gradually become of less concern. Depending on how long they have until the trip it is possible for them to travel with Very Little stress.

When I traveled I took one or two things that were special to me from home- picture, address book... I reminded myself that I could go home whenever I wanted to (Yes, it might be a bit complicated and inconvenient for others if I left, BUT I could do that if I needed to.) I also reminded myself that- I would return soon and in the meantime to enjoy the precious, present moment. Every time I caught myself dwelling on a negative I flipped from the emotional side of my brain to the practical and logical side: There will never be a trip like this particular one, never a time with my family like this one, to think of others and get out of my own head, to be realistic, reasonable and rational, all of these things helped me to steer away from the false scary to the realistic and reasonable thoughts.

If people need to carry a list of local hospitals or therapists, so what. There is no rule that says we have to practice confronting our fears the hard way.

Let me know how it goes...hope I was helpful. Carolyn [encourage them to go through the program :)]

weakeye

Post by weakeye » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:49 pm

thanks carolyn this has and is still a problem for me. I am currently working on tape 8. I have a hard taking the step to travel and take on the anxiety symptoms.Frustrating for my family. I like your suggestions.

lOOKINUP2C

Post by lOOKINUP2C » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:18 am

I too look forward to the day when traveling is just second nature for me.
I thought if I buy myself a new car maybe that would do it for me, but it has not. Soon and very soon it will.

kjbinpembroke

Post by kjbinpembroke » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:26 pm

Traveling freely is my biggest obsticle. If anyone has overcome this hurdle I would like to hear their story.

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”